• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We've all fallen victim.

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
Withdraw is a lie.

Yes, we've all seen it's great benefits. We've all chained combos out of it with our Withdraws, to uairs, to u-tilts, to u-airs to f-airs to death. That's nice once in awhile, and it works once, maybe thrice, but the time of that is over. We have to move past using withdraw so much.

I don't propose not using it at all, I merely propose using it astronomically less. I have myself fallen victim to this. I've posted some vids and I am a withdraw abuser(Thinking of attending WAA: Withdraw Addicts Anonymous). But today I say we all reevaluate our play styles and slowly take withdraw out of it. My reasons are as follows.

1. It's predictable.

You can set it up with some tech chases, bubble followups, and shellshift turnarounds, but aside from that, it's predictable. Chances are most of your opponents just assume that's going to be your go to move, your clutch move when you panic. I'm seeing this and most play against Squirtle now is about baiting the withdraw. They can jump around it and punish, Smash you out of it, grab you out of it. Response to this move is astronomical.

2. Too much commitment.

Unless you hit at which point commitment isn't the issue. But as soon as you pull it out, you're committed for a long time, and a long range of space to this move. You can move back and forth and jump and Jet, all of which takes so much out of you and limits all of your options and is liable to get punished.

3. Limits Movement.

Squirtle is the most mobile character in this game. His rivals include Samus, Mewtwo and Sonic. He's almost as slippery as Luigi with Arial speeds of a god with shellshifting. Withdraw takes that all away and limits you. While withdrawing you could instead: Shellshift to Nair. Shift to Smash. Wavedash, Empty Hop, Bubble, Watergun interupt, Baiting for a useful use of Withdraw!!!

I must ad a caveat, This is mostly for me, I'm not saying Squirtle players aren't already doing this. I'm not saying Withdraw is a bad move, it's a great move. We(I) need to stop thinking of it as a set up though, and stop clutching with it like our(My) safety blanket. I've fallen Victim to this and I've seen other Squirtles do it too. So to a better Squirtle Community! Let's all commit to setting up for Withdraw, not setting up with Withdraw.

Thank you and have a good day.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
good post, definitely not a broken move lol

it's definitely best as a tech chase and combo glue, but I do personally find it useful in neutral at times, mostly when hopping away from a fairly laggy move and then using it for a quick direction change.

but yea, I agree, it's just not that safe to throw out mindlessly and unfortunately it seems to be a major panic button.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I hope you are saying that "you guys use withdraw too much" as a general statement and not something you think applies to literally every Squirtle main. These days I pretty much reserve withdraw for followups, tech-chases, or starting and ending in safe positions for either movement or baiting purposes. I agree that in neutral it is very limited, predictable, and easy to deal with.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
No, he mentioned that he knows not everyone does it and it's funny you brought it up cuz I was literally watching one of your matches last night and was thinking about how well you were able to pick the right times for withdraw lol

good **** Burnsy

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Haha thanks. Yea I read that afterward and tried to edit the first part out, but I guess it didn't take. Guess I should read the whole thing next time, oops.
Good thread, OP.

Last edited:

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
Yeah. This is mostly just for me. I was watching vids of me playing last night and I noticed I do it, way, too, freakin, much. Getting on netplay tonight and I've resolved to just not do at all tonight so I can get out of the habit.

Top Bottom