• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Went to first tourney.

Jeffrey Taylor

Smash Rookie
And i got spanked which is understandable since i just started playing . But im having hard time taking in how i lost. Basically one upsmash or anything that got me in the air my stock was gone . i couldnt make it back to the ground ever . and if i did i was grabbed and right back in the air . How do i fix?

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Based on my first tournament experience not too long ago I think what you're doing is jumping the moment you get hit in the air to get away from your opponent. Don't do this, it is predictable and punishable and on top of that you waste your jump doing it. (doing it some times is ok but all the time is just bad) Also if you shield after landing cause you're afraid your opponent will hit you stop doing that too. That way he'll just grab you and get you back where you started.
Additionally since I'm assuming you're not a fast faller based on actually getting juggled you might wanna try going for the ledge if all hope is lost. (just not recommending this for fast fallers due to how gimpable low level fast fallers are)

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
practice your DI and mix up your recovery on your way down. you can mix up by saving your double jump and using it to get back on stage in different patterns so it's harder for your opponent to read you. also you can air dodge your way back to stage at an angle to be a little bit more tricky. it would be easier to give you better advice if you could link us a video of you playing.

welcome to the tourney life

Twinkles

Smash Lord
melee will seem very hard for a while, because players have gotten pretty good
getting good DI will go a long way in escaping combos. play a lot and learn a lot though, you can figure out the best combo escapes for certain scenarios just by playing a lot more and recognizing situations as they pop up

melee's a very free form game, so you generally never stop learning new things about it

Top Bottom