• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Well, this is going to be fun

PrivateEyeball

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrivateEyeball
Probably.

I got into the whole fighting game thing along with Street Fighter IV back in 09. Played SF4 for quite a while and Virtua Fighter 5 for a bit (and I wish I had more opportunity to play that game more often, because it's amazing). But I was never a fan of competitive Smash. With Melee and Brawl, I always felt like removing items and banning stages took away what made those games fun.

Smash 4, on the other hand, is a hell of a lot of fun.

After watching a fair bit of Smash 4 video from Evo, I'm interested in the competitive scene. And while find people to play with can be a challenge (working on weekends never helps), I figured diving in is worth a shot. Only, at this point, I have no idea what to do next.

What's the best way to really familiarize myself with Smash? Choosing a character will happen over time (though I'm open to recommendations--I love defensive play and big-ass brawlers who do most of their damage through slow, but powerful, strikes).

But what are the best ways to learn how to approach the game, competitively-speaking? With friends, it ultimately comes down to special moves and occasional smash attacks. I get the feeling that's not the best approach. So what would it be? Playing online? Going 10-minutes against a level 9 CPU (which I just did and got my ass handed to me because I'm pretty 'meh' at video games)? Training mode? I'm in sponge mode, and I'm ready to learn whatever.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome. Best way to approach I'd say is to play with friends and familiarize yourself with everything. That will lead to who you want to main. Practice hard with your main(s) then just take the plunge and start going to tournaments locally. You won't likely be champ at first but you'll make friends and get good practice. Check the character boards here after you decide on a main so you can pick up tips and advanced techs.

Here are some links to get you started. Also, check out the premium raffle....

Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

:starman:Click here for the Freemium Raffle.:starman:

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @HunterNinjaReaperPirate♤♠ @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

D

Deleted member

Welcome! Regarding your question, I'd just follow what Cyndane said above.

I hope you enjoy your time here!

PrivateEyeball

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrivateEyeball
Thanks for the welcome, folks!

I wish my work schedule was more cooperative, so it'd be easier to meet with people and such. Luckily, I'm in NorCal, so I MIGHT be able to hit up some of the weeknight tournaments in San Francisco. (If I can tweak my schedule so I'm able to sleep after a late night)

Top Bottom