• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Well spaced Jab 1 and conditioning

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
Hello, today I wanted to write about something that seemed important to me concerning Bowser Jab 1 and some things that revolve around it.

I know that another topic about Jabbing is up on this board and it is actually quite interesting and really useful but what I want to talk about is more specific "?" maybe "? times 2"

So here's the story since I'm always faced with some kind of drama that force me to change certain things about my playstyle but it's for the best.

At the beginning, I was already really fond of Jab 1 and I loved to abuse Jab 1 to dash grab, t'was almost the only thing I did after it and people never really tried to counter it or they didn't know or rather they didn't bother since they were just going to take those 12%. It was the fox syndrom.

But then, the patch and with it came the fear and people started to think that maybe they didn't really wanted to get grabbed after all and with that mind set anchored into the players I started to get hit more and more after Jab 1, may it be a frame 3 nair or just a frame whatever below 5 Jab. People started to care.

So I worked on my Jab game, a lot.

Now we begin :

I happen to play Megaman a lot, so since I love Megaman games, I Jab a lot. People don't like it but that's not important. It's when I began to think about conditionning.

The thing behind it is, people don't like getting hit by annoying things that seem hard to punish and may at some point feel overwelmed. And when you begin to take the time to think, you want to be safe so you can find a way around the problem. The safe bubble is the shield but that's what you want since, grab beat shield.

I started to transition that with Bowser and I was actually really successful but I still need to hone it.

The basics of Jab 1.

- After Jab 1 Bowser gain backward momentum and take a micro step back
- If you hit someone close to you, he'll fly a small distance away but if you hit him with the tip, he'll pop where he stand.

I'm only talking about that because that's actually what you want. In my opinion, hitting with the tip of the fist is what you'll always want. I've come to a point where I can't rely on simple things like Jab 1 to dash grab mindlessly and so optimisations had to be done, so I'll explain.

1.How to Jab

For better comfort, the first Jab should be done with A, any following Jab 1 should be inputted with C-stick. Always crouch cancel your first Jab and if you need to do another one, keep the crouch and Jab with the C-stick for optimal timing.

2.The purpose

What you want is to chain Tip Jab 1 together, you can by no means do that all that much but you can do it enough time to put your opponent in a disturbed state. It's really important because it change the behavior of your opponent which lead to a free opportunity of landing the move you want.

I'll explain :

Fox is a good example. I have some friends of mine in my community that play Fox, most of you must know that Fox can Jab us back if we try to Jab 1 to Dash grab him. That's the mind set I'm talking about because people know the property of Bowser most used moves and learned how to counter it because of how lethal it is to get grabbed.
So if you get a Tipped Jab 1 and start doing it again and once more ( All three Jab should hit but two is enough), the opponent will switch his priorities from "Counter it" to either "Get out of it" or "Protect myself from it". And that's actually all you want.

If you get Tipped, I'm pretty sure you can't get out of it until Bowser gets too far away which should happen after 3 or 4 Jabs. To this day, I have yet to see someone get out of it if well spaced maybe with DI but people don't think about that when they get jabbed by Bowser. It really comes around the lack of the best suited reaction from your opponent.

3.Movement

As for the way you should move around, well it all depend of each playstyle but, I can at least tell you what I do.
Might not be the same with all MU but basically :

- I run only when I want to get away, when I want to close distance or when I want to burst a move .
- I start walking only in mid distance with my opponent, Bowser's walk speed is slow but I need it for precise luck poke or Jab 1. I can always run away when I feel the heat.
- I crawl backward if I want to breath a little while still having some distance with my opponent so I can have another go at poking.
- I forgot where the Jump button is

4.The don't

Don't poke mindlessly in the neutral, I know Bowser's Jab look really safe and all, especially when you crouch cancel but it's not (that safe). The hitbox disappear (as well as the limb properties) way before Bowser's arm is retracted. I believe the crouch attenuate this a little but I not sure. So be cautious of your opponent options.

5.In short

You want your Jab 1 to pop the opponent in the air and when you got it repeat the process by crouch cancelling and tap that C-stick diagonally to repeateadly pummel your foe. Max is 4 but don't go for that, even though the % is nice, the goal is to get your opponent into a defensive mind set to get a grab or Side-B.

If too close, you may get one more Jab 1 and end it with Jab 2 or try to mix up with D-tilt or eventually F-tilt but it's the less likeable to hit and it's not safe at all on shield.

Have the habit of crouching all your Jab attempt, it's really important. If you poke a shield, run away or try another Jab 1 if you feel gutsy, you may very well hit your opponent. People expect Jab 2 which has more endlag than Jab 1, inputting a standing grab may also be a good idea if you feel the rush coming.

There you go, that's a lot of blabla but I felt like posting.

Sometimes I really think Bowser take a step backward as to prevent locking, I know it's not true "? times 3" But I think this is something we should always go for. I have people saying Bowser is braindead but I think he require a certain degree of accuracy.

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to point out is that you actually get less hitstun from tipper jab 1's as opposed to very close ones. You may not want to waste your frame trap opportunity on a second jab 1 if you are already close.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
Yes, you're right. I said that because it became an habit of mine but even as of now I still go right away for a dash grab after an up close Jab 1.

There are still characters that don't really have the mean to effectively counter Jab 1 / Dash grab but sometimes I wish we had Palutena's Jab.

Top Bottom