• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird results with RI Grapple Cancel(?)

CawRiN

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been looking around for a bit and can't really find solid evidence of why this happens so decided to post and get direct answers.

Sometimes, when using rising grapple to recover, instead of going into the helpless state, Samus is able to act of the grapple instantly with moves like Fair and Nair. How does this happen? Is it something to do with RI GC or is it something completely different? While its more frequent on stages like FD and YS, much like RI GC, I feel it can be recreated on every stage. If anyone knows its actual term or how to recreate it consistently please let me know, I feel like it could be a huge buff to recovering in certain situations.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
This tech is something I've been using recently and it's pretty useful for surprise Fairs. I call it grapple break but I'm sure some old school Samus like Phanna or someone already has a cool name for it. Basically what is happening is Samus is moving fast enough upwards for her arm to hit the wall and cancel the grapple. (When Samus Zairs next to a wall shee goes into helpless). HOWEVER, you get the effect (I'm pretty sure) when the grapple already connects with the side of the stage, followed by Samus' arm hitting the side of the stage. This can be consistently accomplished by aiming for the low end of the wall and immediately zairing out of air dodge. I mean like....IMMEDIATELY. It's a lot easier to do on stages like FD and FoD because of their weird wall shapes, however it can be done on all of the legal stages. The only other Samus I've seen use it is @ycz12, but I wouldn't be surprised if Corigames Corigames uses it plenty as well.

Last edited:

CawRiN

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure it's just having a segment of the stage intersect with your grapple, no?
This is possible, but I don't think its the only way it works. After trying to make my grapple come into contact with the stage via rising grapple it seemed to give me the result every now and then. Definitely going to look into it more, thanks for the insight!

CawRiN

Smash Rookie
This tech is something I've been using recently and it's pretty useful for surprise Fairs. I call it grapple break but I'm sure some old school Samus like Phanna or someone already has a cool name for it. Basically what is happening is Samus is moving fast enough upwards for her arm to hit the wall and cancel the grapple. (When Samus Zairs next to a wall shee goes into helpless). HOWEVER, you get the effect (I'm pretty sure) when the grapple already connects with the side of the stage, followed by Samus' arm hitting the side of the stage. This can be consistently accomplished by aiming for the low end of the wall and immediately zairing out of air dodge. I mean like....IMMEDIATELY. It's a lot easier to do on stages like FD and FoD because of their weird wall shapes, however it can be done on all of the legal stages. The only other Samus I've seen use it is @ycz12, but I wouldn't be surprised if Corigames Corigames uses it plenty as well.
I actually really like the name Grapple Break, I'll just use that if there isn't an actual term. And touch her arm? Super weird, but I'll give it a go. For the most part I feel like I was getting it more consistently when I tried to make it so Samus reached the peak height she gets when using Rising Grapple at the same moment that the grapple itself came into contact with the stage. That may also be because Samus' arm hits the wall at the same time as she reaches the peak. Not sure, but ill use hit boxs to look into it more. Thanks alot for the info, I really hope I can get this consistent, because it seems like a really good mix-up when recovering.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
It's basically a space jump (The one that puts you in helpless) but when the grapple has already hit the wall, it sends you into falling hitstun instead.

Top Bottom