• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Rest Thing

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I was playing friendlies with a Puff at SSC as Fox, and when I attempted to up throw up air, he rested me. That's normal, but right after the rest he instantly woke up. He was right next to the edge of the top platform on Dreamland, but I'm 99.999999% sure that rest can't be edge canceled. Does anybody know what happened?

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Nesler and I were brainstorming this in depth this morning, no major ideas yet. Few questions for you, though I get you may not be able to answer all of them.

Did the up air connect at all? DId you take any damage?

If upair hit:
Were you on the platform when it connected, were they?
Which hits connected?
Did you seem to be asleep for any amount of time?

Were you on the platform or on the ground when you woke up?

Do you remember the player ports?

You mentioned something about it being 99% sure Rest cant be ledge cancelled. This is sounding like it appeared to be a ledge cancel in the sense that you feel like you Rested in the air, hit ground, fell off the platform, and woke up.

Anything you can do to describe the sequence of events in relation to Fox jumping, each part of Up air, and getting hit, in relation to you Resting, if you were in the air/ground, if you hit air/ground.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Nesler and I were brainstorming this in depth this morning, no major ideas yet. Few questions for you, though I get you may not be able to answer all of them.

Did the up air connect at all? DId you take any damage?

If upair hit:
Were you on the platform when it connected, were they?
Which hits connected?
Did you seem to be asleep for any amount of time?

Were you on the platform or on the ground when you woke up?

Do you remember the player ports?

You mentioned something about it being 99% sure Rest cant be ledge cancelled. This is sounding like it appeared to be a ledge cancel in the sense that you feel like you Rested in the air, hit ground, fell off the platform, and woke up.

Anything you can do to describe the sequence of events in relation to Fox jumping, each part of Up air, and getting hit, in relation to you Resting, if you were in the air/ground, if you hit air/ground.
the up air didn't connect.

unfortunately i don't remember the ports.

i up throwed, jumped, double jumped, and up aired. he rested before up air came out. i think we were both in the air although i was remarkably close to the platform. after he rested it looked like he landed but slid off the platform like an edge cancel. it does seem like it was an edge cancel to me but i have no idea how that could happen.

Last edited:

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Fascinating. I'll let you know if we come up with anything. It's sounding like a Ledge cancel based on both instances of this being described on the right edge of the top platform. The other instance of this was on BF though, which hurts the initial thought of Whispy being involved.

Any guess if wind was blowing?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
there was no wind

this was actually on the left edge of the top platform.

i have to wonder if this phenomenon could occur with anything else.

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Finally, it happened to someone else.. In my case, the exact same thing happened on the top right side of the top platform on battlefield, so it definitely wasn't whispy shenanigans. I still can't figure out what it is.

Top Bottom