• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

weird Fair happening

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
the other day, I was playing with my friend, and something interesting happened. I did my usual Fair follow up, which is:
fair->jab,jab,jab
which usually works at low percentage. The only reason it works at low percentage is that there is usually a small lag (from landing) after the fair. This time however, I went straight into the jab without any lag from the fair. Now if I completed the whole fair, I could understand it may be due to auto-cancel. However I remember landing after only about 1-3 of Fair's hitboxes (the 1st 3 sparks), and i went straight into the jab. My friend was like WTH! too, and it is somebody I fight all the time, and quite experienced so he knew what just happened wasn't right. Anybody else experienced this before?

So basicly after doing half of a fair, fast falling straight into a jab. Quite weird, but if this can be done all the time, it can rack up damage easily.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Wow, very weird.

Can you try it again and get a video? (I suck and need to see it)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Yeah... This happens.... First few sparkles have nearly no Landing lag, but are easily shield grabbed... I don't think it helps much at all. I've been doing it lots with das nair>fair>jab, and still get owned

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ness has a pretty bad jab, the third hit can be power shielded and shieldgrabbed. It's good use is to punish spot dodges.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
That's why you jab only once as a mindgame and grab....

Random, but I can jab cancel with Kirby into nearly anything.... Crazy.... It's nearly impossible!!!

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
since ness's jab does come out pretty slow compared to others, it probably can be punished easily, however thats not what i was looking at. The thing I was looking at is if the first sparkles hit, that usually lifts the opponent off of the ground, and there is a little hit stun. Usually with lag, most characters can easily do some fast moves and get out, however if we can find out how to do this, it may be a true combo, although its weak. lol.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Buffered fair, probably. Have you ever done a fair > (shield) grab?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Grab isn't ensured... Almost ever... It's good enough though...

Dajayman

The first hits on fair DO NOT have enough hitstun to give you frame advantage, even when canceled on the ground. Jabbing, grabbing, or anything else is NOT guaranteed.

That being said, your opponent technically can do something about it but remember we are all human. Human reaction and error can make it so that we could get a jab, grab, usmash, whatever off. So followup with something preferably quick or, if you predict right, a slow move like fsmash to punish a spotdodge.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Don't have a replay of it or anything, but past experience with several people shows that your opponent has a much better chance to get you if they shieldgrab... Just before a jab comes out will they be able to shield and if you go to grab, the opponent most likely DId the fair hits enough to avoid your grab range.... That and your opponent has several other options...

Dtilt is a pretty good option as a followup, but shield stops it again... You can possibly shield poke, but some characters can just grab you without getting hit...

Utilt has lag... Shield owns it...
Nair, even retreating, gets grabbed, hit out of in rare cases...
Fair is too slow.
Bat is easily seen and adjusted to.
Usmash may have a small chance, but shield grapes it in the mouth.
Reverse to dsmash gets a short distance away, but gets owned by shield still...
Filt too slow... Barely though...
Running away works, but defeats the purpose of the setup.

... Grab is best option, followed by dtilt, then jab, then everyhing else....

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
the other day, I was playing with my friend, and something interesting happened. I did my usual Fair follow up, which is:
fair->jab,jab,jab
which usually works at low percentage. The only reason it works at low percentage is that there is usually a small lag (from landing) after the fair. This time however, I went straight into the jab without any lag from the fair. Now if I completed the whole fair, I could understand it may be due to auto-cancel. However I remember landing after only about 1-3 of Fair's hitboxes (the 1st 3 sparks), and i went straight into the jab. My friend was like WTH! too, and it is somebody I fight all the time, and quite experienced so he knew what just happened wasn't right. Anybody else experienced this before?

So basicly after doing half of a fair, fast falling straight into a jab. Quite weird, but if this can be done all the time, it can rack up damage easily.
I've done this before as well, I think it's around the first fourth of the f-air, I've been working on this and it leads to an f-tilt, grab, and u-smash (sometimes) very nicely. :p

Dajayman

If you guys want to use this, I suggest using it with DAS.

Nair fair -> jab/grab is great at low %s if it's unexpected and is a nice 25% damage. Bair can also be used if you use the hithox that send your opponent in front of you, but the sweetspot will probably only work at 0% (in which case I'd recommend ending the DAS with uair over fair since you can follow that up uair with utilts/nair for more damage).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
If you guys want to use this, I suggest using it with DAS.

Nair fair -> jab/grab is great at low %s if it's unexpected and is a nice 25% damage. Bair can also be used if you use the hithox that send your opponent in front of you, but the sweetspot will probably only work at 0% (in which case I'd recommend ending the DAS with uair over fair since you can follow that up uair with utilts/nair for more damage).
Yes... Nair fair is great when you place yourself in a good position.

I've begun practicing and I've got the multiple DASs back and better than ever... I've got a 90% functional mindgame involving psi magnet... Now all I need is to reincorporate my reverse hyphen usmash.... And lessen pkflash usage...

Dajayman

Keep using uncharged PK Flash, it's a decent move to use. It's a safer alternative to sh uairing an airborne enemy with godly priority.

Top Bottom