• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Weeklies] The Vault; Bolton, ON (GTA)

Nutella Fella

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashboards people, I'm making this post on behalf of my friend who is the owner of the space and running the tournaments. I'm part of the moderators who are just the close friends to him that are also coming out to the tournies. So far we've ran two tournaments since opening with an attendance of, well, meh. I hope with this post to get out a lot more people from the GTA region to come play and help grow the competition while also making my friend's hard work and efforts worthwhile.

Venue
The place is called "The Vault" it was originally planned to be opened as a comic book store with game tournaments ran at the side but due to some restrictions the store has been delayed until next year in order to have time before the summer to set up properly and give it time to gain customers. So, for now, it is strictly being ran as a tournament centre.

The space for the tournament is in the upstairs office area with a lot room but it is temporary and will be moving down the road to a more fit setting for the store and tournament.

8814-D George Bolton Parkway Bolton, ON; directly beside the Saunacore building
This is about a 15-20 min drive from Brampton and 30 min drive from Mississauga/Toronto
directly on the next street from the venue going South on Highway 50 there is a very good chicken shawarma place called Bon a pita and going North from the venue on Highway 50 there is also Tim Hortons, McDonalds and A&W all very close-by .
Tournament

Smash 4:
Venue Fee - $7.50; Game Fee - $7.50 (per game)

i.e/ if you enter Singles and Doubles the cost is $22.50 in total, however Doubles has not ran yet for money, only for fun as we are more interested in having people come out for singles...doubles are always fun though lmao
Double Elimination bracket play hosted on Challonge

All matches are best of 3; Losers Finals and Grand Finals are best of 5

Prize Pool:
15 or less entrants the payout is 1st - 70%; 2nd - 30%
16+ entrants the payout is 1st - 60%; 2nd - 20%; 3rd - 10%

(the last two tournaments saw 10 and 13 entrants and we'd love for that number to be bigger to both increase the competition and payouts!)

Ruleset:

Currently the tournaments have and will be ran with Apex ruleset which will be posted below

*DLC characters and Dream Land as a starter have been added into this version

A. Game Settings

● Stock and time are set to 2 stock and 6 minutes for Singles
● Stock and time are set to 3 stock and 8 minutes for Doubles
● Custom Fighters are set to off
● Mii Fighters are legal. Each setup will have a 1111 Mii
Brawler/Swordsman/Gunner available for use (Using Default A Mii).
No other specials for Mii Fighters will be allowed. Players are not
allowed to transfer existing Miis to a setup.

B. Stage List

Starter Stages
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
● Dream Land

Counterpick Stages
● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City
● Omega Stages*
* Treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is
banned, Omegas are banned and vice versa.

C. Additional Rules

● Stage Striking: The player with port priority strikes one stage from
the Starter Stage list. Then the other player strikes one stage and
the remaining stage is used for the first match.

● Stage Clause: You cannot counterpick a stage that has already
been played on in the set.

● Stage Bans: During the stage ban phase, the player who won the
previous game may ban 2 stages from either the Starter of
Counterpick lists.

● Bowser Jr’s Clown Car Glitch: If the Bowser Jr.’s Clown Car Glitch
happens, players are to pause the match and call a TO or a referee
over to confirm the glitch has happened. Once confirmed, players
will reset the match to the same stocks and get as close to the
percents as they had when the Glitch took place. (The Bowser Jr.
Clown Car Glitch happens when the car respawns after using Up B
right before the player loses their stock. The character starts to
teleport around, also hit boxes and animations for Bowser Jr.
change.)

● Red and Blue are to be used as the two team colors during doubles
matches.
Setups:
Currently in the competition area we have 5 monitors and consoles with up to 1 or 2 more setups being brought in by our moderators. Previously the games were being played on cheap RCA monitors that had slight input lag that was noticeable despite being manageable by the players and have since had 2 of the 4 RCAs replaced by ASUS monitors from the family of monitors that have been the official monitors of EVO for the past few years (VH236H). Myself and another mod both have VH236Hs that can be used in place of the remaining 2 RCAs until the new ones that have been ordered arrive.

BYOC - Bring Your Own Controller (obviously)
*all setups have their own GameCube adapter*

Other Info

Snack Bar:
Water: $1.00
Pop: $1.00
Chips: $1.00
Chocolate: soon

CASH only for all transactions; you will be offered a receipt upon entry of the tournament, try to have exact amount to make things smoother but if need be, change can be provided.

Tournaments are held EVERY Saturday; Singles start at 5pm, when Doubles are ran they start at 4pm.
Try to arrive beforehand to pay and get setup and maybe get some friendlies in..

We'd like to get an idea of people who are legitimately interested in coming out to these, we really want to make this a thing and see it grow and become better. So please leave a reply if you are planning on coming down or open to coming out. As well, if you have ANY questions regarding what was said above or something that wasn't touched on please feel free to reply with it. We've had RedX, Yoh and Gains come out to play and would be awesome to see more big names from Ontario.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes :)

***August 14-16 there will be no tournaments as we will be attending Summit***
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow The Vault on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thevaultbolton

Official Website for The Vault: http://thevaultbolton.weebly.com/

Owner: Josh

Moderators: Chrii (me), Michael (Lemon), Julian (Jubiyab), Phil (Chiko)

Last edited:

Wildwolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RPGamer
It was cancelled when I came last week: Where can I find information on things like cancellations and such?
also I'm totally coming next week if it's happening

Top Bottom