• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We now know the size of Smash Bros. 3ds but, What does it mean?

TheHidden

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4330-3482
So, an image of the back of the box for 3ds version has been floating around the internet lately, and it shows that the size for the game is 2.1 gb. Now, while I understand this is farely standard for a 3DS game, is it to small, like, compared to Brawl or something like that. I mean, they already are only having two songs per stage, but do you think it might affect the game in any other way or am I just overthinking it?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It means we aren't going to have a hour long movie saved on the cartridge.

TheHidden

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4330-3482
It's definitely not too small. Allow me to quote myself from a different thread:
Yeah, the moment I found the Image on a big enough size I immeadiatly posted the thread, without noticing that by taking soooo long in doing that someone beat me to the punch

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brawl had the SSE storyline, explaining why it was around 8gb, both versions of the game will probably be 2.1gb since they dont have a story, just a crapton of awesomeness

Raijinken

Smash Master
The Wii version will probably be closer to 3 or 4 gigs, depending on how much exclusive stuff it has. Extra music and better graphics will make a noticeable but not massive difference as well.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Lack of much music or FMV's like Brawl is why this is less than 1/3 the size. Textures are probably lower-res too.

The Wii version will probably be closer to 3 or 4 gigs, depending on how much exclusive stuff it has. Extra music and better graphics will make a noticeable but not massive difference as well.
No, no no. Wii U version will be more than 3 or 4 GB, I can promise you that, on music alone.

It means we aren't going to have a hour long movie saved on the cartridge.
Can't do that with 3DS cartridges.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lack of much music or FMV's like Brawl is why this is less than 1/3 the size. Textures are probably lower-res too.

No, no no. Wii U version will be more than 3 or 4 GB, I can promise you that, on music alone.

It'll depend on the number of songs. Even Brawl's music only takes up a bit more than a gig if I recall.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It only means the decision of limiting the number of songs in the 3DS version is even more baffling now.
Yes, you can.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
It'll depend on the number of songs. Even Brawl's music only takes up a bit more than a gig if I recall.
Except at least 1 HD FMV, if the character reveals and such aren't on disc (maybe to cut the eShop size.) Expect at least as much music as Brawl. Expect higher resolution textures. I can't see it being anywhere near the 3DS version in size, but we'll see.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/bwpj/index.html

Also, slightly significant, the download size for the Japanese version of Hyrule Warriors is just under 7.1 GB but it requires 7.8 GB of space. Lots of Wii U games are like this so I'm guessing the download is slightly compressed, so we should go by what the Japanese site says the game's size is, not what it shows up as for those downloading on Wii U.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Better not tell my sis that Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS takes up only 2.1 GB (digital version at least, but the physical will probably be at least near the same), or else she would probably complain about how it should take up at least 2.8 GB or something that way it could have better graphics. :p

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
It only means the decision of limiting the number of songs in the 3DS version is even more baffling now.

Yes, you can.
How about because it's cheaper? It has more songs than Melee had at any rate.

No...you can't.... MK7's patch was to the SD Card for a reason. Aside from a little bit for saves, there's nothing extra or re-writeable on a 3DS card, please understand. It's not like a Vita card, which btw just about every game didn't use that extra space anyway.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
It's definitely not too small. Allow me to quote myself from a different thread:
3D World (Wii U) is 1.6 GB.
Pokémon X/Y is 1.7 GB.
Kid Icarus Uprising is 1.7 GB.
I think it's safe to say that Sm4sh will have a LOT of content.

xD yeah....this'll fit very nicely in this particular thread.....

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
How about because it's cheaper? It has more songs than Melee had at any rate.
Cheaper? How much it costs to add a few more music tracks in the game? It is not like they have to compose new music. Melee was a 2002 game, there is no Smash 3DS to have almost the same quantity of music as Melee. Not to mention Melee's music were mostly remixes/remasters, which doesn't seem to be the case for Smash 3DS.
No...you can't.... MK7's patch was to the SD Card for a reason. Aside from a little bit for saves, there's nothing extra or re-writeable on a 3DS card, please understand. It's not like a Vita card, which btw just about every game didn't use that extra space anyway.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You said a 3DS card can't have a "a hour long movie saved on the cartridge", but of course it does.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
That's compressed. 3D World is 2.4 GB. Lots of examples like that. The actual installed game takes up a bit more than the download.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ardj/detail/index.html

I have no idea what you are talking about. You said a 3DS card can't have a "a hour long movie saved on the cartridge", but of course it does.
I thought he meant user videos on the 3DS card, which is basically impossible.

Regardless, 1 hour at 240p? Less than 8 GB sure, 'shrug', not that there's ever going to be a 3DS game that hits that. 3DS is never going to get a game on an over 4GB card or download. It's simple economics. Yes, that's Youtube 240p btw, probably just as compressed too.

Cheaper? How much it costs to add a few more music tracks in the game? It is not like they have to compose new music. Melee was a 2002 game, there is no excuse for the 3DS version to have almost the same quantity of music as Melee. Not to mention Melee's music were mostly remixes/remasters, which doesn't seem to be the case for Smash 3DS.
Melee was a 2001 game, and yes there is. Even not adjusted for inflation the game was higher priced at launch. The Wii U version is going to have more music because it's on a high-capacity disc, there's no restraints, no need for compression, and quite frankly that's where the most money per copy is. Why should they split it 50/50 and leave their most dedicated customers with only the same amount of music and content? I get that you're a 3DS-only user but I really don't care because it's not relevant, just your biases showing. The games are not equal, never have been. They don't work for free. Also it's pretty ignorant to say "It is not like they have to compose new music." when we saw loads of it in the Smash Direct alone, mainly new arrangements, for example, a new version of the Fairy Fountain music.

But I'm gonna ignore you before I say something that will get me warned. You're biased and have no idea what you're talking about, without a doubt.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I'm sure the game has a lot of content, but its low memory capacity is likely due to little to no FMV. Nintendo 3DS games are also small due to less demanding graphics, meaning low sampling rate and bit depth.

However, a game's data size can be misleading since it doesn't always represent the amount of content it has. Some games are merely compressed, which most Nintendo games are.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing is, Mario Kart 8 uses around 4.83 GB, while Tropical Freeze uses 11.3 GB. And since Smash Wii U has a larger music collection, and higher quality models and textures, it may end up using over 10 GB itself.

Smash 3DS likely has lower quality models, and the reduction of music tracks can also explain its 2.1 GB ordeal.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So, an image of the back of the box for 3ds version has been floating around the internet lately, and it shows that the size for the game is 2.1 gb. Now, while I understand this is farely standard for a 3DS game, is it to small, like, compared to Brawl or something like that. I mean, they already are only having two songs per stage, but do you think it might affect the game in any other way or am I just overthinking it?

Well.. according to the eshop description, you need additional sd card storage to download this game. And this leaked screenshot I doubt it is real, but since this game is coming out really soon, and this leak is Japanese. So we will find out soon. After the release, this leaks will either be real or just Internet hoaxes

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
All it means for me is that I'll have to prune my music collection a bit.

Tekken 3D came with a full-length film. That's why it's unfortunately still not on the eShop and probably never will be. :(

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Less music than Brawl, lower poly models, possibly less stages, and most importantly no SSE which involved tons of unique stages, cutscenes, bosses, etc. It's pretty big for a 3DS game at least.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Brawl was really large for no good reason. If you look around you will find out that Brawl had a lot of content on the disc that was just unnecessary. Duplicates of a LOT of files were on the disc. I even heard that if they'd hadn't done that the disc wouldn't have even needed to be double layered.
I think 2.1 GB is perfect. I don't really care so long as it's a good game, ya know? I love playing for the "casual" content like trophies. I'm really sad there are only two songs per stage but I can live with it. But in the long run we're not going to be playing for the trophies but for the insane mulitplayer.
Wii U version will probably be like 8 GB unless they do something crazy. We'll see.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Why should they split it 50/50 and leave their most dedicated customers with only the same amount of music and content? I get that you're a 3DS-only user but I really don't care because it's not relevant, just your biases showing.

But I'm gonna ignore you before I say something that will get me warned. You're biased and have no idea what you're talking about, without a doubt.
I think its funny you mention biases after showing yours.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
People also have to think a head because if there is DLC it will probably push the blocks required for this game even higher. I actually thought the game maybe bigger, but this is bigger then Pokemon X and Y which I think is a good thing since it has 700+ models.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So the filesize is about as big as Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D huh? (That game was about 17 693 blocks and was about 2.16 GB according to this website)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Considering DKCR3D is a direct port of a console game...

...I think we'll be fine.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Given the game card has a lot of room to spare, what's to stop them from adding more music tracks or something to fill that void? Not that it's important or anything. I mean, look at Melee's 2-track-per-stage. Still, they could have added a few more.

Booster

Smash Lord
I hope it doesn't reduce the quality of the game, not that I ever plan to buy it on 3DS, but for the sake of people who don't own/want a Wii U for one game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The original game uses 3.33 GB, so the 3DS port obviously had its quality lowered to use only 2.16 GB.
We already know there will be a reduction in graphical quality (which there was in DKCR3D), and music takes up more space than anything else, which will also contribute to SSBU being a lot larger than SSB3D. As long as they're mechanicslly identical, we'll be fine.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I guess we won't be seeing the newcomer trailers as bonus extras in the 3DS version.

Top Bottom