• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We all knew it was coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
...thanks to the OBVIOUS boxing ring stage which has the WVBA emblem on the mat.

But still, glad to finally see him confirmed and happy to welcome a character that has deserved an inclusion in smash for a while now. :)

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
It may have been obvious that he was going to get in, but it was still nice to see. I always get a twitchy, ecstatic feeling when I see a newcomer, that in most situations, isn't different for each character.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It may have been obvious that he was going to get in, but it was still nice to see. I always get in a twitchy, ecstatic feeling when I see a newcomer, that in most situations, isn't different for each character.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I was psyched to see his reveal.

It's just that it WAS a foregone conclusion at this point. Everything else about the stage screamed Punch-Out.

However, what's most interesting is getting to see him in action. Is it me, or do some of his removes seem similar to Ike's?

I'm extremely glad he's in because his omission just plain felt wrong, given his history on the NES

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
It didn't have the emblem until Little Mac was confirmed. Before that point, it had a generic Smash Bros. emblem on it.
This, and here's proof:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I was psyched to see his reveal.

It's just that it WAS a foregone conclusion at this point. Everything else about the stage screamed Punch-Out.
Although I guess a lot of people were hoping/anticipating for the stage to represent the Punch-Out!! series, the graphics of the 'boxing ring' stage could've been changed during development by the time Super Smash Bros. 4 officially gets released. With Super Smash Bros. being a fighting game series, I don't think a non-Punch-Out!! generic boxing ring stage would have been out of place in a Super Smash Bros. game (although I'm presuming a lot of people would think that it makes more sense to use such a stage to reference the Punch-Out!! series). Also, even if the stage 'screams' Punch-Out!!, a stage's thematic elements do nothing to confirm a character, as evidenced by Villager (the first fighter/newcomer of his own series, Animal Crossing) debuting in SSB4 even though we had an Animal Crossing Universe/stage (Smashville, complete with KK Slider cameos and background 'Villagers') spring up back in SSB4's predecessor, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
'Tis a good day.

Mac was my most wanted character; well, Mac and Megaman. And I got them both. :)

But really, Little Mac was the last NES era Nintendo All-Star not to be playable in Smash Bros., and with Punch-Out! on Wii revitalizing his fame, Mac was a total gimmie.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took Sakurai four games to finally put him in.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It didn't have the emblem until Little Mac was confirmed. Before that point, it had a generic Smash Bros. emblem on it.
Someone had a comparison in another thread demonstrating just how close to the WVBA emblem it was.

I meant that it was a SSB version of the emblem (which it clearly is), not that it was the ACTUAL WVBA emblem because that would've been even MORE obvious.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This, and here's proof:

Although I guess a lot of people were hoping/anticipating for the stage to represent the Punch-Out!! series, the graphics of the 'boxing ring' stage could've been changed during development by the time Super Smash Bros. 4 officially gets released. With Super Smash Bros. being a fighting game series, I don't think a non-Punch-Out!! generic boxing ring stage would have been out of place in a Super Smash Bros. game (although I'm presuming a lot of people would think that it makes more sense to use such a stage to reference the Punch-Out!! series). Also, even if the stage 'screams' Punch-Out!!, a stage's thematic elements do nothing to confirm a character, as evidenced by Villager (the first fighter/newcomer of his own series, Animal Crossing) debuting in SSB4 even though we had an Animal Crossing Universe/stage (Smashville, complete with KK Slider cameos and background 'Villagers') spring up back in SSB4's predecessor, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Again, someone else had a thread a while back in which they pointed out that the lasers in that shot were also from the Wii Punch-Out.

Also, in the case of smashville, the stage was introduced as a stage, before any character was introduced which basically confirmed that there wouldn't be a character to go with it.

In this case, the boxing ring never had a formal introduction. Rather, the stage's presence was an obvious hint to Mac's inclusion.

'Tis a good day.

Mac was my most wanted character; well, Mac and Megaman. And I got them both. :)

But really, Little Mac was the last NES era Nintendo All-Star not to be playable in Smash Bros., and with Punch-Out! on Wii revitalizing his fame, Mac was a total gimmie.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took Sakurai four games to finally put him in.
I feel the same way. Surprised he wasn't in the very first SSB. He arguably deserved the slot a great deal more than Ness or even Captain Falcon.

Morbi

Scavenger
Someone had a comparison in another thread demonstrating just how close to the WVBA emblem it was.

I meant that it was a SSB version of the emblem (which it clearly is), not that it was the ACTUAL WVBA emblem because that would've been even MORE obvious.
Everyone interpreted it as a direct allusion to Punch Out, but many questioned whether or not that reference would extend to him as a playable character. That being said, they clearly altered the stage to more closely resemble Punch Out, rather than a generic Smash stage inspired by Punch Out.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I've never played Punch-Out!! but Little Mac was still one of my top wanted characters.. along with Isaac. And I've never played Golden Sun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom