• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WCU Gaming Lan 5/2/09

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
Western Carolina University is having a gaming Lan on 5/2/09, and we will be holding Melee and Brawl tournaments as a part of it. For a door fee of $5, you can participate in any tournament at the event and have some pizza and snacks.

Schedule:

Console:
2:00 PM - Melee (Singles)
3:00 PM - Gears of War 2
3:30 PM - Soul Calibur 4
5:30 PM - Street Fighter 4
7:00 PM - Halo 3/Brawl (Doubles)
10:00 PM - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (if there's time)

PC: (times are estimates right now)
2:00 PM - Counterstrike 1.6
3:30 PM - Unreal Tournament 3
5:30 PM - Team Fortress 2
8:00 PM - Counterstrike: Source
10:00 PM - Left 4 Dead

Prizes:
Because these tournaments are run by the WCU Gaming Club, prizes will not be pot style. All tournaments have seperate prizes determined before the event, but currently we have not decided what prizes to allot to which games. If Melee or Brawl get a good amount of interest, their prize values could be raised (or pay out to to the top two players/teams, like ASU did for their last Lan).

Melee (Singles) Rules:
Melee will follow standard tournament rules. Best 2 out of 3 matches (3 out of 5 for finals), 4 stock, 7 minute time limit, etc. Stage selection will also be tournament standard, except Rainbow Cruise and Kongo Jungle 64 will be a counterpick, and Mushroom Kingdom II is banned. trust all matches will go smoothly, but if there is a dispute of any sort I will step in and try to resolve it.

***Due to possible time constraints, this may end up being Single Elimination. I'm going to start it as Double Elimination however, and hold off on the second bracket until I'm sure that we have enough time to go through with it, or drop it.

Brawl (Teams) Rules:
Because most Brawl players on our campus aren't competitive, we've recently started holding them with a wider range of stage selections, and a slight use of items. The basics of the Brawl rules are mostly standard; Single Elimination, best 2 out of 3 matches (3 out of 5 for finals), 3 stock, 7 minute time limit, etc. Stage choice and item settings are as follows:

Stages on random will be Battlefield, Final Destination, Luigi's Mansion, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Jungle Japes, and Pokemon Stadium 1. Beam Sword and Star Rod were in the last tournament, but I've decided that their throwing power is too great compared to their in-hand use. And as in the Melee tournament, if there is a dispute of any sort I will step in and try to resolve it.

WCU is located in Cullowhee, NC, 5 miles south of Sylva on Highway 107.

From Asheville, NC and points east: Follow I-40 West to Exit 27 (Highway 74 West). Follow Highway 74 West to Exit 85 in Sylva. At third light turn left onto Highway 107 South. Follow Highway 107 South to campus.

From Knoxville, TN and points west: From I-40 East, take Exit 27 to Highway 74 West. Follow Highway 74 to Exit 85 in Sylva. At third light turn left onto Highway 107 South. Follow Highway 107 South to campus.

From Charlotte, NC: From I-85 South, exit onto Highway 74 West towards Shelby. Follow Highway 74 West to I-26 West to Asheville. In Asheville, exit left onto I-40 West. Follow directions above from Asheville.

From Atlanta, GA: From I-85 North, exit left onto I-985. I-985 will turn into GA 365 and will then merge with 441 North. Follow 441 North to Dillsboro, NC. At the light in Dillsboro, turn right onto Business 23. Follow Business 23 through Dillsboro and Sylva to Highway 107 South intersection. Go straight through intersection and follow Highway 107 South to campus.
Map of the campus

The event will be held in the Grand Room on the third floor of the University Center (31 on the map). If you have any questions, my email is eyce_654321@yahoo.com and my cell phone is (919)280-8225.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Nice, glad to see it's finally being posted. Devin will probably come to this, possibly Angel as well. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it though.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Not trying to be mean here but even though your college may not be on a competitive level, you should stick to the standards rules cause then they will never drop the habit of using items and playing on stages that are clearly terrible.

Flamingo, Plur's tourney is on this date too. o.O

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
I apologize to anyone who is dissapointed by the Brawl rules, but let me explain in a little more detail. We have run standard Brawl singles, without Melee, ever since the game came out. Between then and now, it became painfully obvious that the only competitive spirits on campus preffered Melee, which wasn't offered as a tournament anymore.

So in our last LAN, I tried this new ruleset to cater to those who just wanted to have a fun time at the LAN. Devon and Angel still won of course, but I got a great turnout with no complaints from our own population. So don't think of it as a tournament being held incorrectly; it's only a part of a larger event that isn't pot-style anyway. Think of it as a refreshing break from the norm instead.

Now, Melee is where our population likes their competition. It was a great surprise that it was voted in this time, so we don't want to dissapoint. If Melee gets a large enough showing, it could end up being voted in again, and if that happens there's always the possibility of our casual players changing their minds about Brawl/Brawl's Ruleset.

Either way though, Nebs is definitely going to show up for this LAN, so I encourage all local Melee players to come and compete.

Vilt

Smash Lord
I understand. Date is still conflicting with another tournament, and since I gotta be there for my bro, I'll see to catch the next one of these.

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
I'll find out soon, the person running that tournament hasn't posted his rules on our forums yet.

EDIT: the person who wrote the Melee rules section for me lost my original stage list when he wrote it, so I just changed it to "Stage selection will also be tournament standard, except Rainbow Cruise and Kongo Jungle 64 will be a counterpick, and Mushroom Kingdom II is banned."

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
Gears 2 Rules:

# Total Rounds: 3
# Total Maps: 3
# Round Time Limit: 5
# Number of Bots: 0
# Bleed-Out Time: 15
# Friendly Fire: On
# Map Selection: Host
# Weapon Spawning: Customize

Maps:
# Blood Drive
# Jacinto
# Pavilion
# River
# Security

Weapon Swaps:

Blood Drive:
- Scorcher -> Torque Bow
- Frags -> Inks

Jacinto:
- Mortar -> Disabled
- Frags -> Inks
- Gorgon -> Disabled

Pavillion:
- Mortar -> Disabled
- Mulcher -> Torque Bow
- Frags -> Inks

River:
-Mortar -> Disabled
-Frags -> Inks

Security:
-Mulcher -> Boltok
-Boltok -> Torque Bow
-Frags -> Disabled
-Scorcher -> Inks
There you go.

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
I've been notified of what the Melee and Brawl prizes will contain. Melee's winner will get a $40 Gamestop giftcard, and the Brawl winners will recieve $10 on BringIt.com and one of three awesome-looking Brawl posters (the winners get to choose; the third remaining poster will be raffled off later in the event).

Top Bottom