• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to use Aura Bomb (A+B)?

Nippo

Smash Cadet
I feel like this super hasn't been explored enough. When I do manage to connect with it, it's almost always a fluke. The only creative way of using it I know of is to fire it off right under the stage when an opponent is recovering as an edgeguard. It seems too slow to use in combos, but I don't know the character's P:M incarnation well enough to say that definitively. Any help? Or is the aura better conserved for ExtremeSpeed and Double Team cancels most of the time?

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
usmash early cancelled into a bomb is fairly reliable. i get kills by dropping it onto their head, which doesn't always work but usually the worst that happens is they shield it. i dont think i've ever had it powershielded back at me this way.
i've gotten a bunch of kills by throwing my opponent into it, and a few by using an aerial to kick them into it. you can edge guard a low-recovering opponent by throwing the bomb and then snagging the ledge with up b, a wavedash or just jumping onto it, basically forcing a trap on a lot of characters

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes when an Opponent is recovering, I throw one up decently high, just so I take a high recover out of their options, and then I focus on edgeguarding their low recovery. Doesn't work too well on floaties though. Against fast fallers like C-falcon, I throw it and then i jump off the stage and go for a back-air.

Super aura by itself is very weak. You need to combo it with something because all it does is negate some options.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I'm not a Lucario player so be aware that I may be wrong about this. The Aura Bomb (or as I like to call it "Spirit Bomb") moves very slowly right? It's mostly used to end a combo and to provide extreme pressure, I mean let's be honest who wouldn't be afraid of a giant blue ball in your face? So, it provides opportunity of attack - because they almost always are forced to be defensive when this comes out as even jumping over it is a big hassle, so you have a better chance to get in. Or better yet could make a decent distraction.

Nippo

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips, should come in handy. I admit that I haven't watched enough videos, but what's a good strategy for setting up the Bomb to throw an opponent into it?

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
Thanks for the tips, should come in handy. I admit that I haven't watched enough videos, but what's a good strategy for setting up the Bomb to throw an opponent into it?
for me a lot of that is intuitive setups. you see the situation as possibly leading to it and go for it. for a while I would just be totally reckless with my aura and practise trying to recognise potential setups. becoming very familiar with lucarios throws and FP angles will help

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
once i let an aura bomb out at the ledge forcing the opponent to go low, then i ran off and did a down air which stage spiked them (which is usually enough to finish them off) INTO the spirit bomb.

also the user Browny said this in page 9 of the lucaryu thread and its definitely worth the read
"Spirit bomb is amazing. I can't get over its potential.

It's so much more than a normal attack I can't even believe something this powerful exists. I'm not talking about its damage or kill power, instead the sheer amount of options that it shuts down from the opponent. Me and the people I have played against are not scrubs by any means although we are new to PM, but I consistently hit with this attack and it makes me think it is easily the best move in the entire game now. With reduced auto ledge snap and recoveries now nerfed across the board, the requirement for a character to upb into or over the ledge makes this thing just a permanent hitbox that can not be avoided.

Secondly to that, when fired backwards into the stage with lucario on the ledge, it allows him to hog the ledge while a death ball will catch anyone who overshoots the ledge (characters like space animals, zss, pikachu, diddy) and if they cut it short to avoid it, lucario can catch them with a ledgehop nair and its outrageous power. If thats not enough, drop the spirit bomb high up space a ledgehop nair to knock them into the spirit bomb for a ridiculous kill combo.

He just owns all 3 options with such simplicity, it is the god of all edgeguards.

Of course its not broken and it has its weakness, but I think this move is like many others in brawl which were clearly meant to be something else, but turned out something very, very devastating instead. I'm thinking of the likes of Pikachus upb quick attack lock, DDD standing chaingrab and grab releases into spikes, things that are basic by themselves but when applied different to how they were intended, can make a character destroy another in a matchup.

I would hate to see such a thing nerfed, Lucario isnt strong enough to warrant one. I want to see more inventive uses for this move from people. Dont try to actually hit the enemy with the move, that is pointless as it is too slow and easy to avoid. Instead, people should use it such that the enemy has no option but to either run into it, or have lucario punish them for even trying to dodge it. Shoot it above the enemies head and use that time when they are quickly re-evaluating how to regain stage control to run up to them and throw them into it. Remember people that is the key, do not give the enemy the ability to dodge it, place it where they ARENT, then cover where they are or are going with lucario. The opponent will make very dumb decisions trying to figure out what to do about it. At the least, you have a better chance that throwing a very slow moving, obvious move right at them which has a low chance of success."

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
usmash early cancelled into a bomb is fairly reliable.
This. On spacies a 3-4 hit Usmash canceled into a bomb is a pretty reliable kill at 60%+. Easier to do if you press B and then A so they're stuck in the hitbox as you come down.

Also Fair -> Bomb is pretty good against weights like Marth, or fatties like Ganon ~60-70%.

It makes edgeguarding certain characters completely free. If you notice an opponent miss the same tech more than once during a match you can easily get kills with hard read bombs too. The hitbox stays out for so long it can cover more than one option, especially punishing against people who spam getup attack.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
also something that is both amusing and useful to think about: a lot of my friends (mostly very good players) have said/agreed to the statement that when a bomb is thrown out, there's a second where they just get distracted and have to deliberately think what to do. meanwhile I'm the one that threw the bomb so I'm acting immediately and can punish the hell out of their moment of "oh ****"

Top Bottom