• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to approach?

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
I'm looking for more ways to approach as ivysaur.

Right now all I really do is razor leaf b-air and just inch towards them. This doesn't work every time because adaptation, so I'd love to know what other moves could be used for approaching as everyone's favorite grass type.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Not always a gaurantee but I myself like to crawl and approach with Dtilt, which has a lot of range and kind of combos into itself

Swann

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion these are the five most useful direct approach/positive pressure options, in general and not matchup specific (that is, some are more or less useful vs certain characters but I'm not taking that into account here), and in order from most to least useful:
  • Fair
  • Waveland ftilt
  • Dtilt
  • Bair
  • Spaced leaf
Also small shoutout to WD jab at mid/high %

Last edited:

LowKey

Smash Rookie
I generally don't approach with ivy since her attacks are pretty easy to punish.
Retreating b-airs and spaced razor leafs do wonders

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
personally, I space enemies out with razor leaf and bair, just like everyone else in this thread. Approach tools mainly consist of fair, reverse bairs, and nairs. A shuffled nair is a pretty safe option and if you watch Denti's play (at least a few months back, I haven't watched his more recent sets) he almost always approaches in with a nair due to the multi-hit nature and follows up with fair into up-B or just chains in more fairs.

CC dtilt gets an honerable mention too if you're getting lots of pressure, as well as a wavelanded jab. personally I usually pick stages with platforms (LOVE that FoD and Smashville) if I ever have an issue with zoning/getting walled out.
EDIT: Just read Swann's post, that guy knows whats up.

Last edited:

nicholisk

Smash Rookie
I usually approach with Fair. I can usually lead it into other Fairs just like marth. It can sometimes lead into an upB also.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
Nair while covered by razor leaf or seed bomb is a solid strategy, I've found.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I find the burst movement from perfect wavelands to work wonders with poking. Waveland off platform -> bair is an effective way to regain center stage if you can pull it off.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Down-b for the bomb, and going for a dtilt+grab. It especially works against slow characters. The bokb actually hitting the character is a bonus. You might not really need the bomb though. Lol

Killem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Imfappin
3DS FC
3067-6040-7700
Switch FC
5654 5358 1016
Many of these are situational and you don't always want to approach with ivy but I use a lot of rar bair, fair, full hop fair, WD ftilt, WD jab sometimes catches people off guard, dtilt, and nair. If they are on a platform above you then you can also uair and seed bomb and if you get the hard read and you're feelin lucky then you can go for the vine whip lol

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
Like the following posts, it's not always good to approach with her. But I see something always work at least once with people.

Razor Leaf > L Canceled Short Hop Nair > Down Smash > Dash Attack OR Grab (This depends on how well their DI is and how heavy their character is.) I find this short little combo to work wonders when trying to pressure someone. Even if they shield the nair I notice they panic and drop their shield. Even if they shield the entire nair if you L Canceled it you can follow up with jabs since her's are really fast.

Not sure if it's because I've been playing lower skilled players but that's just what I've seen to work a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom