• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Waveshining with Fox~

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
Anyway, I saw this site at the begining of this year, and w/e..

But I watch a lot of smash videos, and fox was one of the coolest-looking characters. Anyway, i noticed people waveshining, and I thought how amazing that was. But then I tried it and thought that it was impossible. So, I tried it a few more times, changed my play some, and then I was able to do it a couple of times. I can still do it sometimes, and what I do is this:

- I wavedash with the r button and jump with x, so I shine

- move my thumb from b to x and try to do a quick wavedash.

Anyway, my cousin thinks you can do it by going down-up-down on the control stick really fast.

I want to know, how do you waveshine? If you can't waveshine, then just go learn how, it isn't that hard..

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i waveshine at near perfect speed by shining, then moving my thumb from b>x (without sliding) and wavedash w/ x+r.

Try the waveshine>waveshine.
Waveshine (repat as necessary) toward edge>dsmash: the official "get the f*ck off my stage combo"
waveshine>drillshine
waveshine>jab (thunder's combo)
waveshine>nair.
waveshine>whatever you feel like.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
waveshining with the control stick is totally impractical and way too hard but its possible if you really want to learn how to do it. just keep practicing using X and R i think thats what most people use and thats how i do it. eventually you'll get a kind of rythm for it and remember that sometimes after waveshining you have to take a step or two to get to the other player.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
not really flashy enough... but i used to practice whatever tech trick i was working on at the time between stocks. and after a while of practicing waveshining, you mind develops a "waveshine button" which is just you thinking "waveshine" while your hands do a waveshine. actually, past that, you don't even think "waveshine" you look to a broader picture, but that's where it starts.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
I don't really like fox. I think he is cheap w/ his gay usmash. I like to just play him in friendlies though.

And what scotu said about the waveshine button, I have that down for drill shining and wavedashing already. So waveshining shouldn't be too hard.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Fox takes time, effort and skill to master. However, I waveshine with x and r. It took me forever to get used to it, I actually time it by using the bigger part at the bottom of the R button, same for wavedashing. Its pretty much shine, then wavedash. Don't think waveshine.

SSBZalamander

Smash Cadet
i personally find wavedashing pointless, but i have pretty good "shineing" skills and my reflexes are on a different level

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
USE THE SEARCH. Its there for a reason.
now i know you dont mean that because if everyone used the search there would be no new threads at all on any character specific or general forum on smashboards.com. now i dont know about you but a totally dead forum because everything has already been discussed doesnt sound very nice so spam away.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
it takes practice. I started learning a while ago. Im still not good at it, but im better now. Still work in progress, but once you know the steps it takes practice. I always managed to play a few stocks in training everyday to work on it. And im pretty sure in a few weeks, i will have it down.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
I waveshine by sliding my thumb from B > A > X

I would recommend this if you want to easily waveshine fast, though it may be harder to learn and I'm sure the way you are used to works the best. Also I am sure a lot of people can waveshine just as fast without sliding...

My method is also a lot less friendly on your thumb, I have a callous from sliding my thumb across the edges of the buttons so much. >_>

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's not too difficult to get a waveshine to perfect speed w/o sliding, but it'll take less time to master using the sliding method (but you'll have slower fingers overall). I waveshine w/o sliding at (near) perfect speed, and can't do it w/ sliding because it's too fast, and now i have really fast fingers. It's kinda like the dark side it's faster and easier, but in the long run, i think no sliding is better.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I just taught myself how to waveshine like 3 hours ago after my friend taught me how to pillar with falco. I always hated fox because people at school would just spam u-smash and get kills and had no tech skill, but now I'm starting to see how to play a more technical fox. I use x and r to wavedash so I didn't see any reason to change that so I just go shine -> x and r without a slide because I need faster fingers so it helps to not slide). I might actually start to play fox as like a 4th alt behind IC's, Doc, and Falco.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Actually, note that sometimes just getting kills w/ the usmash is way better than having all the tech in the world. if you're good at using it, the usmash is a really good standalone move. Kill power at low %s, and as fast as a grab. Decent range, and priority. It's just knowing how, when, and how to mindgame into it. Some of the most technical foxen (ie LunInspectre) will just DD>usmash for a kill. Just note that. Now you can get back to practicing tech skill.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Wow, I think I'm the odd one out here. I use y and r to wave dash and waveshine. I don't slide my thumbs, I do separate presses for everything.

Also, when short hop, I also use y, and just try and press it quickly. That may be one of the reasons why I am having diffculties short hopping everytime I want to sh.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
No, i'm the odd one out. I use every button on the controller (dpad directions included when playing fox or samus, i rarely play samus). I SH with x,y, and up. If i really feel like it, i shdl out of shield w/ c-up. I don't waveshine w/ y, but keep in mind, some ppl wavedash w/ L, so you're not that far out.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
When I do a regular jump I use the control stick, but I shorthop with x. And I use the M button for my super move (you gotta love 3rd party controllers ).. Jk. I think y would work better wavedashing than x even if you didn't slide your fingers, cause it is just closer to b.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
doesn't matter, i can get my finger to x faster than i need to anyway. fast fingers come from practice and building up. I only slide for jc shines anymore. and if i slide my finger to x, i'll press it while still in hitlag from the shine, so y is unnecessary.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
When I do a regular jump I use the control stick, but I shorthop with x. And I use the M button for my super move (you gotta love 3rd party controllers ).. Jk. I think y would work better wavedashing than x even if you didn't slide your fingers, cause it is just closer to b.
Yeah, I find waveshining much easier using the y button.

Oh, today I tried using x for shorthop doing the sliding method that someone else had mentions, and dang, it's like 10x easier then shorthopping with the y button for me. I think I have a new way of short hopping now :)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
if u want to work on waveshine timing then hold down the ctrl stick and shine>wavedash in one spot, rinse, lather, repeat until u have the timing down. then start slight movements during the wavedashes to workout different spacings, this is best for use against characters who fox can consecutively waveshine, link, peach, etc...

i also use y and r to wavedash, x to shorthop. i can wavedash with one hand with samus (i dont play samus) but it takes alot of concentration

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Yeah, I find waveshining much easier using the y button.

Oh, today I tried using x for shorthop doing the sliding method that someone else had mentions, and dang, it's like 10x easier then shorthopping with the y button for me. I think I have a new way of short hopping now :)
I find that when by the time my finger has pressed y, i haven't even finished the shine hitlag yet. same thing goes for sliding to x.

Top Bottom