• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing, WL and Canceling with R and L

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
am i the only one who knows how to wave dash with both buttons (R and L)?
i mean i can WD with R and WIth L with no problem. in fact i sometimes WD using Main stick and L, with one hand :p

also i do Wavelanding with both as well. i personally think its better to know that with both cuz for example if by some reason ur controller's L button is not working well, u just WD and R-cancel and everything with R instead of L.
its really good to know that imo. what do u think?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well, I use only L for everything. I use my R button for jump (I use Ness so full DJ stuff is much easier)

However when stuck without my setup, I can work with either, and I can even go R for jump, then L for WD lol.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
The only thing that could help with is WD out of shield (since it's kind of easier to use two buttons) other than that there's really no point since it's a comfort thing

If your controller isn't working you probably shouldn't be competing lol. But the potential and marginal upside of being able to use both L and R goes without saying

:phone:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I use R for everything, so I really can't imagine using L to wavedash. As for wavedashing out of shield, I don't really need to use two buttons. I just have fast hands. Heck, I use tap jump to wavedash instead of X/Y.

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
i do fox and falco shine+short hop+L/R cancel jumping with x or with y.
and i wavedash Foward with R and backwards with L, lolz

I use R for everything, so I really can't imagine using L to wavedash. As for wavedashing out of shield, I don't really need to use two buttons. I just have fast hands. Heck, I use tap jump to wavedash instead of X/Y.
lol i would like to c u wdashing tapping jump instead of x/y.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I use Y and L for everything but I can use R as well. It's not as comfortable, though.

I have X mapped to footstool so yeah... lol

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I would think it would be better to just be consistent. That way you don't have to think about your tech skill and you can focus all your energy on playing the game instead of getting the moves out.

If you have controller issues then fix it or get a new controller lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I use L to shield and R to wavedash. Having to let go of L or only hold it down slightly to be able to wavedash out of shield has been mind breaking.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
I wish i could implement R into my game. I do everything with L, but i need to force myself to start sheilding with R. I cannot wavedash AT ALL with R
XD

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i use R to shield/roll/spotdodge, but I also use R to waveland. I use L to wavedash. been doin it that way since i started.

TheKittyloaf

Smash Cadet
I use both. Find myself using R for shield and L-Canceling more than I use L, which the term "L-Canceling" scared me at first years ago, because i didn't know if i could do it or not with the muscle memory i was used to.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
The only time I use R is when I'm DACUSing with it since I set R to attack.

As for L-Cancelling, I actually use Z for L-Cancelling.

MVP

Smash Ace
i can't use L to wavedash :glare: i've tried learning but R just feels better. I wish i could go back and forth..

but on a side note, i l-cancel using everything :shades: I rotate between L, R, and Z depending on the character i'm using and my mood :p

Drosss

Smash Rookie
I like using R, but sometimes I use Z. I have a stupid question. Can't you just sorta spam z on your way down, and then stop before you land? Or will that start something unwanted? I know it may cause an aerial attack if you spam z starting from a long way up, but is there any reason not to?

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^ you can do that, yeah... is what i do, actually=P... just don't do it if the aerial will end before you hit the ground cause then you'll start another aerial... and doing it for too long will make you grab after the l-cancel...

JOE!

Smash Hero
I use L for L canceling for the sole reason of thinking it was called L cancelling due to the L button for like, ever...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i use r for everything. l is sometimes my footstool button, sometimes x is. depends on my mood.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I use L for canceling and shielding, R for wavedashing.

Strangely I hold the joystick with my thumb and index fingers instead of just the thumb.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
if you did wd oos with both buttons in melee it's going to be pretty hard to change your muscle memory. thankfully, i wd oos using only L in both melee and pm. no spring in R is for cancelling needles

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
noob

pros cancel needles and other similar moves w/ z

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
If all of a sudden my Gamecube controller's Z button just disappeared... I would not notice.

Drosss

Smash Rookie
I use L for canceling and shielding, R for wavedashing.

Strangely I hold the joystick with my thumb and index fingers instead of just the thumb.
I do the same thing, especially when I dash dance, because I feel like it gives me more control.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
I was playing with an N64 controller for over 13 years so I got used to Z-canceling with my left hand and aerial and grabs with my right so now I L-cancel with L and wavedash with L as well. Right hand is used for those L canceled aerials into Grabs, which worked a lot better in 64 but hey, whatcha gonna do. Trying to learn to wave dash with R so I can wavedash out of shield but it is taking some time.

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
I recently realized that after playing Melee for 3 years, and then only last year giving Brawl a chance, that my muscle memory failed me, trying to L-Cancel in Brawl. After failing I would end up in shield by holding it a little too long after an arial, so then I started shielding normally with L, which is the opposite as I normally did in Melee, which is with R. It messed up my melee game for awhile, cus then I would be L canceling, wavedashing, and shield with L. God, that wasn't fun for my left index finger.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
In PM I have a shield button set to Y. I use it specifically to waveland on platforms with Ganon and whoever happens to be a personal flavor of the month. But for the characters that have insanely short jump start animations like Fox, Luigi, and Squirtle, I'll just roll my thumb from x to y to wavedash like that. If I know for a fact I won't land an actual waveland I'll use L for some reason. But I still use L to actually shield so my right hand isn't already doing something with Y so I can do things out of shield easily. I don't understand my methods myself but I don't lose games so I don't care.

Top Bottom