• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing with Link

abel_ignatius

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I am a Link user in Super Smash Bros. Melee and I need an answer to something that's been bothering me.

Everyone says wavedashing is amazing and steps your game up. Maybe for some this is the case, but I myself know how to wavedash, and I use Link to do so, yet it does not help when using Link. You gain such little distance and it seems incredibly pointless. Why not just dodge? Plus if I were to wavedash and try grabbing, it's much slower since Link has the hookshot. :confused:

Anyways.. I was hoping someone could tell me if wavedashing truly would help a LINK user (not saying it's not useful for other characters, only looking at Link). Would it help or should I just practise my own style, without wavedashing, like the pro Aniki. He is one of the best in the world, and a Link user, and NEVER wavedashes. Kinda proving my point about wavedashing with Link.

ThEpEsT

Smash Apprentice
Well, you could wavedash for mindgames. For instance running towards your enemy then wavedashing away if he comes at you. Also, WD into grab is very useful, esp. for tech-chasing. Watch Hylian Nightmare.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
The question you're asking can't be answered as simply as you ask it. It's all how you use it, only then will it improve your game. You could possibly use for such actions like a mindgame, or for edgehogging, I highly suggest you think about how you will use it, and implement it further into your gameplay, only then will you fully achieve its full advantage.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Well what I use wave dashing for is if i need to edge hog quickly, but only if they are close otherwise i just short hop on the edge. And I know what you mean i don' t wave dash much with link since it sucks, other than for edge hogging, or using it to go into a grab, beside that i don't wave dash much with link.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Use an Air Dodge into a Hookshot the WD Back. It's a good Combo disruptor and a heck of a good sneak attack.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Well what I use wave dashing for is if i need to edge hog quickly, but only if they are close otherwise i just short hop on the edge. And I know what you mean i don' t wave dash much with link since it sucks, other than for edge hogging, or using it to go into a grab, beside that i don't wave dash much with link.
As do I. I feel little reason for it when I can short hop and evade whenever I want.

abel_ignatius

Smash Cadet
EXACTLY... thats what im saying... if you can evade or short hop faster than a link wavedash.. there isnt much point.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
It helps with spacing. You can WD backwards if you opponent is trying a dash attack or shffl, and grab them in their lag. Or you can run towards them and WD back. Or you can use it to edgehog. Or you can just use it to waveland.
Germ is an excellent link and he Wavedashes. And besides aniki mains samus now.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
keep in mind, the less you wavedash, the bigger a surprise it will be when you do

abel_ignatius

Smash Cadet
thats a good point actually..

if i was to wavedash rarely he wudnt see it comming..
whereas if i always used the same technique with wavedash he would read me like a book

Top Bottom