• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing Issues

MakoEnergy

Smash Rookie
When using most characters, Samus/Shiek being the only exceptions, I can't wavedash more than twice. The issue comes down to Falco: I cannot waveshine to save my life.

Anyone got any tips?

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
hmm, when waveshining, can the stick be diagonally-down the entire time? or does the stick have to alternate between down for the shine and diagonal for the wavedash?

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
It has to alternate between shine and wavedash. Even if you could you should move it to get more distance with your wavedash. Try learning to wavedash consistently, then wavedash > shine in place(hold down), then wavedash > shine moving, then waveshine in place(hold down), then waveshine moving. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it helped me by first wavedashing then shining to learn the hand movements before having to think about the timing. Hope this helps.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I got wavedashing down. I also got just one shine to wavedash down. but after the first wavedash after the 1st shine, my 2nd or more shine tends to be a phantasm.

darkatma

Smash Hero
yeah my advice
pay attention to the timings of each character's wavedashes.

Lemme break it down into frames:
60 frames to a second. Each character has a slightly different timing for jumping off the ground.
Sheik, fox, and a few others have 4 frame jumps. those are the fastest and probably the hardest to do.
I believe 5 frames is optimal. Samus has a 5 frame wavedash, same with marth.
falco comes in at 6 frames. That's 1/30th a second difference between the fastest and falco's. which is actually a huge difference. If you're pressing L too early, then it won't register as you're jumping, so when you try to shine, it might come out as a phantasm or something.

MakoEnergy

Smash Rookie
yeah my advice
pay attention to the timings of each character's wavedashes.

Lemme break it down into frames:
60 frames to a second. Each character has a slightly different timing for jumping off the ground.
Sheik, fox, and a few others have 4 frame jumps. those are the fastest and probably the hardest to do.
I believe 5 frames is optimal. Samus has a 5 frame wavedash, same with marth.
falco comes in at 6 frames. That's 1/30th a second difference between the fastest and falco's. which is actually a huge difference. If you're pressing L too early, then it won't register as you're jumping, so when you try to shine, it might come out as a phantasm or something.
That's it! Thanks! I think I am too used to pounding on my R-Button to match Samus/Shiek speed (And I can wavedash with those two all day with no problems >.<) I'll try to slow my R-press a little when I am playing Falco.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Top Bottom