• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing, is there a strategic use for it besides edge hog?

Pikamew

Smash Rookie
i;m not a very technical person, so I basically rely on timing and switching my strategy. Though I know how to wavedash, I'm trying to figure out what offensive uses it has, I haven't figured it out yet. Can anyone fill me in? Is it good for combos? I don't have anyone all that good around me to challenge me *and I'm mediocre* so I don't learn these things.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Feinting, tech-chasing, moving and charging smashes at the same time, waveshielding. Some characters (like Luigi) are faster with it, for others (Fox) it gives them a ground movement option from the shine, and opens up waveshining. There are a lot of things you can use wavedashing for, and I haven't come close to listing them all here.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Feinting is the biggest use probably, though it depends on your character and you can achieve the same goal by dash dancing without wavedashing.

Picture a football player who jukes and causes a tackler to go left while he goes right. Wavedashing allows the same effect. Dash in, person trys to attack you, wavedash out of their range, they wiff and have lag, then dash back in and punish them. These fake outs are known as feints. The double jump itself can be used as a feint, to, along with tons of other things.

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
Mindgames. Simple as that. Watch the pro videos and see how they use wavedashing for your respective main.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Also depends on your character. With Mewtwo, Luigi, and ICs, it's your primary method of movement.

With Falco/Fox, it leads to combos out of shines.

With sheik, it's used instead of dashdancing because sheik's dashdance is really narrow.

Top Bottom