• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing From Ledge

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I have seen in almost every Melee tournament i have watched, the players wavedash/short hop air dodge (or even low nair with marth) from grabbing a ledge to returning to the stage. How is this done? I have messed around a bit but cant figure it out myself.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
The timing on this is a little tricky. What I do is I drop down my stick the entire way and AS soon as I hits down all the way I press Y and A and then move forward a little. The same concept goes for any short hops from the ledge, or spacie tech like ledge hop double laser.

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
The timing on this is a little tricky. What I do is I drop down my stick the entire way and AS soon as I hits down all the way I press Y and A and then move forward a little. The same concept goes for any short hops from the ledge, or spacie tech like ledge hop double laser.
Thanks! I'm gonna try this after work tonight!

Kadano

Magical Express
I have seen in almost every Melee tournament i have watched, the players wavedash/short hop air dodge (or even low nair with marth) from grabbing a ledge to returning to the stage. How is this done? I have messed around a bit but cant figure it out myself.
Example of button inputs (with a shino-stall before the ledge dash to standardize the ECB):

Kadano

Magical Express
Is there a reason its bad?
What Kaeon said. Your goal is to move from the drop input to forward (towards the stage) as soon as possible. If you keep pressing down for more than one frame and do not press jump as soon as possible, you will fast fall, though.
The “perfect” spot for dropping is the bottom left one of the pink area in this chart:

Top Bottom