• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash Troubleshooting

ThatIsWho

Smash Rookie
Hello all, horrible Marth main here. I have been playing for around a year now and recently I have been making a great effort to implement wavedashing into my game. On some days I can easily get 20+ wavedashes in a row(I know still bad) but other days I cant get more than 5 without messing up. My current wavedash practice regiment is wavedashing across FD, wavedashing back and forth as many times as I can, and dashing forward and wavedashing back. If anyone has any suggestions for improving that would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hello all, horrible Marth main here. I have been playing for around a year now and recently I have been making a great effort to implement wavedashing into my game. On some days I can easily get 20+ wavedashes in a row(I know still bad) but other days I cant get more than 5 without messing up. My current wavedash practice regiment is wavedashing across FD, wavedashing back and forth as many times as I can, and dashing forward and wavedashing back. If anyone has any suggestions for improving that would be much appreciated, thanks!
Use R for the air dodge. It'll keep the muscle memory in 1 hand. Is Marth the only character you play as? Characters can have different jump squat durations which change the input timings for their wavedashes. Don't think about the finger motions too consciously. Just do it without thinking it. See if you can kind of force it into your game by trying to wavedash when you can vs a human opponent. It might help you learn some applications through experimentation too

ThatIsWho

Smash Rookie
Use R for the air dodge. It'll keep the muscle memory in 1 hand. Is Marth the only character you play as? Characters can have different jump squat durations which change the input timings for their wavedashes. Don't think about the finger motions too consciously. Just do it without thinking it. See if you can kind of force it into your game by trying to wavedash when you can vs a human opponent. It might help you learn some applications through experimentation too
Thanks for your help, I already use R for air dodging and have the muscle memory down somewhat. When I make mistakes it is usually due to me overthinking the motion. I play no other characters so I do not see how that could be a problem. Once again, thanks!

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
Something that helped me with my wavedashes was me consciously thinking of it as two inputs, because I had a bad habit of pressing them too fast and I would full hop, so me just telling myself to take it slower and do one after another helped me.

You can also practice wave dashing against a CPU to kind of simulate the pressure of playing against a real opponent.

Doctor Doomsday

Smash Rookie
Plug in an extra controller, move the extra character to a platform, and just practice moving across the stage using wavedashes. Start slow and work your way up. This is just to get the basic motion down. After that, you should learn how wavedash is used in gameplay. Use it to play mindgames, develop spacing, extend combos, and most importantly footsies and general movement. Watch PewPewU play, he is a really fundamental player.

Top Bottom