• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash OoS

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
Is it better to Wavedash OoS while holding shield with one trigger and wavedashing with the other, doing everything with one trigger or is it just personal preference? My friend wants to know, I believe it's the last one.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Personal preference. Game registers the input the same way, it's just whichever you feel more comfortable with. But if your friend plays PM, you should let him know that the option of using both triggers doesn't work, so he'll have to relearn it using only one. If he's sticking to Melee, then it doesn't matter which he picks.

Pauer

The Pauerful
A lot of people don't know or aren't aware of this but there are generally two ways of wavedashing OOS with the same trigger.
First one: While you have your shoulder button pressed down, you press the jump button. Only after pressing jump, you repress the shoulder button. This is the fastest way but imo also the harder way since optimally, you need to repress the shoulder button as soon as the jumpsquat has ended (on frame 5-10 after jump). To make this easier, you can simply never fully press the shield so that you only have to press down when wavedashing OOS.
Another way involves first releasing the trigger fully. When you release the trigger, you enter a state where you put down your shield(GUARDOFF) which lasts a couple frames and is jump-cancelable. You then input the wavedash. Imo this is easier but comes at price since you are always at least a frame slower than optimal. Still, several high level players, most notably Mew2King have said to do it this way.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I generally let go of hard shield position (so I'm not pressing L quite all the way in) during jumpsquat and then press it fully in on the first airborn frame. I don't even think it's that hard it came pretty naturally to me.

Top Bottom