• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash Help

Intensify

Smash Rookie
Can somebody link me to a thread / video that is a good method of learning to Wavedash? I'm trying to learn quickly and I can't edgehog without it. I couldn't find one around. Thanks :)

meebius

Smash Apprentice
Around 6:24 for wavedash tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

This is a very good tutorial on how to play melee at a more advanced level if you're just starting out and want to get competitive
However, the skills from this video won't come instantly. They make take months to even perform, but through practice you'll eventually be able to do all of these consistently.

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
Try doing it with easier characters, like Luigi. One you get them smooth its going to be easier to switch character and get the timming.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Try doing it with the hardest characters, like Fox. Once you get perfect with Fox, it should be like butter to you forever.

If you want to combine visual reward with difficulty, I'd probably practice it with Ice Climbers. They've still got the 3 frame jumpsquat, but they have great distance.. and their wavedash is an instrument.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
First step should be learning to short hop efficiently, try it with a spacie, Fox for the hardest, Falco for one of the easiest.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Try doing it with easier characters, like Luigi. One you get them smooth its going to be easier to switch character and get the timming.
Just a heads up, there is nothing inherently easier about WDing with Luigi or any other character. Some people have a hard time WDing as other characters due to personal instinct and jumpsquat timing. The only thing that's special about Luigi is that if you pull one off, you slide further so you know you got it.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
You should be practicing with the character you will be playing. Some characters have different timing for their wavedash and it can mess you up if you are not used to it. Being able to wavedash and being able to use it in your play does take time though so try not to rush it too much. Practice wavedashing, then practice wavedashing into a stuff like down smash or an aerial. Also remember you don't always have to wavedash into an edgehog. Shorthop fast fall works perfectly fine in most cases.

I'd like to correct some users if I may:

Shorthopping has nothing to do with wavedashing. When I want to wavedash I do not focus on shorthopping at all. Would it be better to incase you mess up the timing? Yes I suppose so that you don't fullhop, but I would not say this is required. Your thumbs will thank you too. I can't imagine twitching my thumb (that's how I shorthop with Fox) every time I want to wavedash.

Technically there is hardly any timing needed for characters like Fox or Shiek since their jumps come out the fastest. I would label their wavedashes to be the easiest while characters who have a delay like Falco or Ganondorf to be harder because there is stricter timing.

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
Just a heads up, there is nothing inherently easier about WDing with Luigi or any other character. Some people have a hard time WDing as other characters due to personal instinct and jumpsquat timing. The only thing that's special about Luigi is that if you pull one off, you slide further so you know you got it.
When I first started playing I found it easier to WD with Luigi. I tried pulling the WD with all of the cast and he seemed to be one of the few characters that I could pull it off with

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
When I was first learning wavedashing, I practiced with Samus. She has a very easy wavedash. However, practicing with your main is probably the best idea because you'll need to know the timing for every character.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
When I first started playing I found it easier to WD with Luigi. I tried pulling the WD with all of the cast and he seemed to be one of the few characters that I could pull it off with
Purely anecdotal. I started Falco, couldn't really WD with most of the cast except Fox and Sheik when I first started. My fingers preferred the faster timing instead of the slight delay. Mileage varies by person

MrPoo

Smash Rookie
First step should be learning to short hop efficiently, try it with a spacie, Fox for the hardest, Falco for one of the easiest.
I can do it a lot easier with Fox than with Falco. I just can't get Falcos, it seems like his is more spaced apart or something weird like that

D

Deleted member

Practise 1 step at a time. Jump then Air dodge, angle the dodge, learn when to do the do the dodge after jumping. Simple! :p

Massive

Smash Champion
Practice wavelanding before you practice wavedashing.

Wavedashing is a specific case of wavelanding (like every square is a rectangle), and understanding how wavelanding works will let you wavedash with every character pretty easily.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
I can do it a lot easier with Fox than with Falco. I just can't get Falcos, it seems like his is more spaced apart or something weird like that
That's weird, Falco's Jumpsquat is a lot longer.
that's not weird; y'all are saying the same thing. falco's jumpsquat is longer, therefore you have to delay your airdodge timing. for alot of people having a specific timing is more difficult than just doing it as fast as you can and having that coincidentally work—which is generally the situation for people when they do it with Fox and the other 4-frame jumpers, until their hands quicken up from practicing alot.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
that's not weird; y'all are saying the same thing. falco's jumpsquat is longer, therefore you have to delay your airdodge timing. for alot of people having a specific timing is more difficult than just doing it as fast as you can and having that coincidentally work—which is generally the situation for people when they do it with Fox and the other 4-frame jumpers, until their hands quicken up from practicing alot.
I was confused too and I re-read the message. From the full context it sounds like @ MrPoo MrPoo said he finds shorthopping with Falco harder than Fox? That sounds odd... maybe someone should clarify :]

But in terms of wavedashing though that is correct, you could say Falco's is harder due to needing actual timing.

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I was confused too and I re-read the message. From the full context it sounds like @ MrPoo MrPoo said he finds shorthopping with Falco harder than Fox? That sounds odd... maybe someone should clarify :]

But in terms of wavedashing though that is correct, you could say Falco's is harder due to needing actual timing.
I meant the short-hop, not the actual WD lol.

MrPoo

Smash Rookie
Yeah I don't have trouble short hopping just wave dashing with falco, I can't do it consistently

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't have trouble short hopping just wave dashing with falco, I can't do it consistently
Now that makes sense. I've recently been playing a lot more Luigi and I tend to press R too early so I do mess up his wavedashes from time to time. Remember, those small frame differences really do make a difference.

Top Bottom