• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash Games Unveils Their Space Animal

Originating from the slang in the Smash community, the term “Space Animal” has been used to collectively refer to both Fox and Falco ever since the latter’s debut in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Now, Wavedash is looking to bring a new space animal to life. Introducing Kidd, The Space Goat!

“A brash, pistol-toting bounty hunter, Kidd is our take on the Spacie archetype and provides long-time platform fighter fans a gateway into our upcoming game. Fast, technical and faithful to his inspiration, he has been designed to give homage to both the archetype and to some of the greatest Super Smash Bros. competitors of all time. “

Despite having similarities to the Star Fox members, Wavedash intends to bring their own twist with their spacie. Kidd will be making use of his horns and other appendages, in conjunction with his pistol.

If you want to keep up to date with Wavedash Games, you can follow them on Twitter. Stay tuned to Smashboards for more news!

Alberto "RedNova" Vásquez

Comments

the beard, being a "GOAT", "kidd", similiar to spacies, i love the mang0 references.

Last edited:
Looks like an Overwatch character. That whole picture looks like it would be what you see when a Kidd player gets play of the game.

Is there going to be any kind of story behind this game, or is it going to be entirely mechanical? Because the complete lack of anything to make me actually like the characters is why I can't stand and deeply regret buying Rivals of Aether.

This isn't just complaining that it's not going to have SSB's all-star cast or something. This is something in every major fighting game series. Look at SoulCalibur. Look at Street Fighter. Other fighting games all have texture and background to pull you in and keep you entertained.

Without any of that, you might as well just, on, say, PM:
-Special Brawl: Clear
-Debug Mode: Hitbubbles On
and fight as a bunch of faceless circle people.

Last edited:
Is this for a game? Their website and this video is kinda confusing in that sense.
As much as I enjoy the competitive side of Smash Bros, I can't see myself easily enjoying Wavedash's game since half of Smash's appeal IS its all-star cast.
One could say the same about Rivals of Aether, but as a game, RoA can stand on its own legs even if you know nothing about Smash and Nintendo. If Wavedash Games does their job right, their game will be the same. I'll reserve judgment.

Is there going to be any kind of story behind this game, or is it going to be entirely mechanical? Because the complete lack of anything to make me actually like the characters is why I can't stand and deeply regret buying Rivals of Aether.

You do realize that RoA will have a story mode in the final, non-Early Access version, right? And besides, it's Early Access, which means Alpha (missing features from final version) or Beta (buggy but almost complete) software, not Final release.

If this project doesn't get canceled for some insane reason Smash might at last have some real competition for competitive platform fighters. Rivals of Ather has much less content than Smash games do, and Brawlhala is just not that great as a competitive game. I have high hopes for this.

I hate that people are seeing the success of Overwatch and copying the art style. It isn't that interesting to begin with, and it certainly isn't interesting to not be the first to do it. I'd like to see this game have a distinct visual identity that sets it apart. Aesthetics are first thing people see.

Holy **** I forgot wavedash was still a thing. Thought it died like airdash online.
Their art direction is bretty garbo too. Should've stuck to p:m.

Last edited:
that fanservice with the character design though.

I guess we can expect a certain character to be a "Robot" and a certain "King" to be announced later on?

But you're forgetting the best spacie of all...
RIP :wolf: 2008-2014

Why so negative? So their art style isn't "triple-a". Does it really matter? Have they not expressed their immense focus on gameplay mechanics?
Here's a classic callback, and all anyone can say is... not even that "we don't need another spacie". It's "why does he look so cartoony". Unbelievable.
And others say it looks like "copying Overwatch". I see Ratchet & Clank inspiration more than anything.

but where's the music at tho?

Last edited:
I have very high hopes for this game and i think the idea seems promising from what we've seen and heard so far.

I can definitely understand that people think the artstyle looks a bit too much like overwatch when looking at the 2 revealed characters though, but as said above it might be cause the art director worked on overwatch before.
Would have to see more characters/stages and how they look in the actual gameplay before i judge too much since it's still in such a early stage of development.

Last edited:
Why so negative? So their art style isn't "triple-a". Does it really matter? Have they not expressed their immense focus on gameplay mechanics?
Seeing as how the only thing they've shown this far is the visual design of the character and vague talk about how the character will play on an extremely basic level, there's not much to talk about other than the character's design.

AS someone who loves platform fighters and character design, I can safely say that I'm excited. But what I don't understand is why everyone thinks that these kinds of games need an "all-star" factor like Smash. Not every game needs to be the same as Smash. No one ever looks at Street Fighter and say "hmmm, nah there's no megaman or Dante" There needs to be original platform fighters along side the crossovers. Also, what in the world would they crossover? They're not a huge company like Nintendo

Can we get some entirely original and creative characters please?

Since, making video games is an art form in and of itself, the games should reflect some imagination.

I hate that people are seeing the success of Overwatch and copying the art style. It isn't that interesting to begin with, and it certainly isn't interesting to not be the first to do it. I'd like to see this game have a distinct visual identity that sets it apart. Aesthetics are first thing people see.
Thank you.

I'm interested in the game and the characters look pretty good but what I really want to see right now is gameplay.
I'm pretty sure the game isn't even in the earliest stages of development yet. It's just in the planning stages still. Merely making a 3D model takes a much shorter time than animating and programming that model as well.

Thank you.
Like was pointed out to LovinMitts, it's made by the same guy, so of course it's going to have a similar style.

Last edited:
AS someone who loves platform fighters and character design, I can safely say that I'm excited. But what I don't understand is why everyone thinks that these kinds of games need an "all-star" factor like Smash. Not every game needs to be the same as Smash. No one ever looks at Street Fighter and say "hmmm, nah there's no megaman or Dante" There needs to be original platform fighters along side the crossovers. Also, what in the world would they crossover? They're not a huge company like Nintendo
This.

Before Smash Bros and all the Capcom vs. titles, crossovers really only extended to Final Fight crossing over with Street Fighter (which isn't really a crossover since Final Fight 1 was originally going to be called Street Fighter II, and is itself a Street Fighter series spin-off).

Street Fighter II had an all-original cast with all but 3 characters (Ryu, Ken and Sagat) of the playable 17 appearing in their first game, yet that game has generated total revenue of probably roughly 5 billion US dollars, and on top of that Street Fighter II made multiplayer PvP-centric titles go from barely played at all to mainstream in worldwide popular culture seemingly overnight.

Plus, All-Stars aren't born, they're made and developed over time. Most of the Smash Bros characters weren't even considered video game "All-Stars" until they appeared in Smash Bros with successful character designs (which even then there's maybe 2 dozen Nintendo character tops that could be called true "Video All-Stars"), and on the flip side, well over half of the Street Fighter II cast reached "All-Star" status by just that one game alone.

Besides that, people expecting a small studio to get characters that are automatically popular and well known like the likes of freaking Mario, Ryu, Solid Snake, Pac-Man, Pikachu, Son Goku, Superman, Captain America, Heihachi Mishima, Tracer, Thrall, Harry Potter, Darth Vader, or Shrek in a fighting game sold for profit and won't face gigantic lawsuits is just ridiculous.

People need to not expect uber instantly popular characters and just enjoy fighting games. Not every game needs legends of gaming, and those characters don't make games good.

Besides, all of those fictional characters I listed had to start from somewhere before they got popular.
that fanservice with the character design though.

I guess we can expect a certain character to be a "Robot" and a certain "King" to be announced later on?
I want the world's best Snow Sniper from Sweden! :laugh:
Wait,WHAT? The artist worked on Overwatch too? That's awesome!
Overwatch characters have tons of personality, this sounds really promising!
Overwatch is one of the greatest, innovative and most personality-filled games I have ever bought.

Everything about that games' design is amazing, and anyone who worked on that game simply must be talented.

It is a hell of a lot better than the brown-ish looking characters/game design with that grainy visual direction that dominated gaming from 2006-2012 and made characters/games visually look much uglier than they should have (looking at you Brawl, Gears of War, and Twilight Princess, all of which graphically have aged terribly).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the game isn't even in the earliest stages of development yet. It's just in the planning stages still. Merely making a 3D model takes a much shorter time than animating and programming that model as well..
Yeah that's probably correct, it's gonna take a while.
Though Pro players, streamers and potential sponsors got to try a early build of the game at EVO 2016 and are saying they are fairly close to a Alpha build (there's a video on their channel about it) so i hope it's not too far off until we see something

...you know what? I'm going to draw this guy. If successful, keeping my furry eye on him will keep me interested in Wavedash just like Maypul and Wrastor keep me from discounting RoA entirely.
...hey, don't give me that look, it's how I choose my mains in Smash, too! :4yoshi: :4mewtwo: :4fox:

Last edited:
Yeesh, first Absa the fulminous mountain goat from Rivals of Aether, and now Kidd the goat? :laugh: Well, admittedly, the design does seem a bit "Overwatch-ish", although I guess that's due to the "animal + futuristic elements" combination, moreso with the futuristic aesthetic.. I immediately thought of Ratchet and Clank (mostly Ratchet) and Jak and Daxter (mostly Jak) upon seeing Kidd; I thought he was a bunny rabbit at first because the horns kind of look like lopped ears... XD And that smile seems so "Dreamworks Face"-ish..!

The name "Kidd" is somewhat plain/generic for me, but it's apparently a Mango pro-player reference, so okay, I guess...? The design kind of reminds me too much of Fox McCloud (even though that's largely the point), particularly due to the shorts and blaster...but in any case, I hope that this guy can form a bit of his own identity (both in terms of aesthetic and "space animal" playstyle)... He has potential, at least. I like the chestplate armor, though!

Last edited:
...you know what? I'm going to draw this guy. If successful, keeping my furry eye on him will keep me interested in Wavedash just like Maypul and Wrastor keep me from discounting RoA entirely.
...hey, don't give me that look, it's how I choose my mains in Smash, too! :4yoshi: :4mewtwo: :4fox:
can you give him goat eyes and fur ;)

Thank you PM. Your product of budding is growing up and looking more and more like your Grandpa Melee, who is constantly working out and eating right(inaccurate science but bear with me). But he's looking as ugly as old Uncle Brawl, and Uncle U has started to grow a bud of his own

Top Bottom