• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash dtilt vs crouch dtilt out of run

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Crouch is faster. Only use wavedash if you need to get a little bit further just in time.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Crouch is faster. Only use wavedash if you need to get a little bit further just in time.
Crouching is slower. I explain why crouch -> down-tilt takes so long in this post. Also, I wouldn`t say wavedashing will get you further unless you're able to pull off a max-distance wavedash.

I'm wondering if one is more useful than the other
Crouching out of run is used because while you are still in dash, you can act and do things beside the down-tilt. If you were to wavedash, you would be stuck for 15 frames.
I would say crouch->d-tilt isn't inherently a great option to use in neutral, rather it is Marth's dash-dance game (which crouch->d-tilt is a part of) that is extremely good.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Crouching is slower. I explain why crouch -> down-tilt takes so long in this post. Also, I wouldn`t say wavedashing will get you further unless you're able to pull off a max-distance wavedash.

Crouching out of run is used because while you are still in dash, you can act and do things beside the down-tilt. If you were to wavedash, you would be stuck for 15 frames.
I would say crouch->d-tilt isn't inherently a great option to use in neutral, rather it is Marth's dash-dance game (which crouch->d-tilt is a part of) that is extremely good.
As long as you are running and not dashing, isn't Crouch-Down-tilt instant? If this is mistaken please explain why, I couldn't find it in your link.

Pauer

The Pauerful
As long as you are running and not dashing, isn't Crouch-Down-tilt instant?
Oh yeah I just realized that the OP wrote out of run. I'm sorry, I must have assumed marth was dashing.

Yeah you're right of course, if you are already running, it is pretty 'instant'. If you are in run and press down, you can d-tilt after 4 frames. If you tilt the stick down instead, you can d-tilt after 2 frames.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I just realized that the OP wrote out of run. I'm sorry, I must have assumed marth was dashing.

Yeah you're right of course, if you are already running, it is pretty 'instant'. If you are in run and press down, you can d-tilt after 4 frames. If you tilt the stick down instead, you can d-tilt after 2 frames.
Thanks. I actually didn't know the exact frames on which you could d-tilt.

I'm wondering if one is more useful than the other. I've been using wave dash out of run into dtilt, but I see most other people just crouch
I am a little confused at what Sailblade is getting at fully. However, there are a couple of things they each cannot do that which makes one sometimes more useful in a given situation.

If you start out from standing, you have to go through Marth's dash into start crouching at all. This means for a shorter distances you cannot Dtilt at all. Additionally, Marth has a fast walk, but not necessarily a fast acceleration to get up to that speed. This makes wavedash pretty good for the intervening space to get into position quickly. Though I would say its rare that you really need wavedash to get that fast precise movement between walking and dash -> crouch.

Additionally, you cannot dash away from someone and come back with good precise spacing. You have to go through the initial dash length again to get yoru Dtilt to come out. This means either you space dtilt poorly or have to dash away further to come back in to space Dtilt properly. Wavedash on the other hand allows for that precision. You can dash away, wavedash in place, or slightly wavedash the way you were coming and get a Dtilt in.

Top Bottom