• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebird?

tral

Smash Cadet
With Brawl around the corner, I see no reason to continue using the controller that comes with the Gamecube when I am going to be using it for a long time to come. I was thinking of purchasing a Wavebird. What do you consider to be the best brand of GC controller?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I think the mods have been sleeping.
For the past month.

tral

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I phrased that wrong. I meant to ask if there was a certain brand of GC controller that was superior. IE Wavebird and such.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Wavebirds can, unlike current gen wireless controllers, lose their syncing after a long time.
But I mean a pretty LONG time, like 3-4 years.

But replacing batteries is a *****. Costly in the long run and not the best idea. They're also bulky and can bother your hands if they're big and you wrap your hands around the controller's handles.

I'm not sure of any superior 3rd party GC controllers. My guess is you won't be able to find one and, if you do, it'll probably suck like all other 3rd party accessories.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Dude, there have been MULTIPLE threads about this same topic, not to mention other COUNTLESS threads not needed. But I will help you.

Wavebirds are great, but of course there is the problem of battery life.
I personally would suggest a first-party wired controller from Nintendo. You can buy it online from Nintendo themselves, or at some retail stores, though it may be hard. Third-party controllers are horrid. Do not buy them.

I have heard as well that the classic controller provides an almost identical experience to Gamecube controllers, so that could also be an option.

Hope that helped.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
Use a Nintendo brand controller.. ALWAYS. Never settle for any of that madcat ****.. =\ seriously.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Besides, WaveBirds aren't usable in tournies, because they're able to desync and run out of batteries during a battle. Tournaments cut to the chase -- No modifications to your controller -- No potential problems in controller allowed (IE: Batteries running out, Desyncing). That means you can't remove the spring in your shoulder button if you want to be able to power shield quickly, or changing the bottom/top casing for a different color case to make it look cool (Because there's the potential that you inserted an Autofire capability to button(s) or potentially messed up the controller's inner workings which could pose a problem in a later match).

Basically, if your controller breaks/malfunctions/doesn't respond during a match, you're automatically disqualified. Tournaments are beyond personal problems.

Continue using your wired GCN controller. It's reliable and doesn't desync. I'm lucky enough to ahve bought a silver GCN controller near the end of the GCN's life, so any improvements Nintendo has made to GCN controllers throughout the GCN's lifespan are in my controller (IE: Stronger plastic in the joystick, better synchronization, faster response, hardware upgrades, etc.). I basically have a top-of-the line GCN controller, and it works great. It'll last me for Brawl's entire life, for sure.

tral

Smash Cadet
I appreciate your input. It looks like I will be sticking with my wired GC controller. Thanks :)

Top Bottom