• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wave Landing?

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Hello guys!

I was messing around with the air dodge mechanic and I found something interesting. Sorry if this has been discovered already I haven't seen anything about it and I just discovered this a few minutes ago and wanted to let you guys know and or test everything with me.

Let's begin. So this might hard to be to explain and if you can make a video and posting it that would be awesome! so basically this technique is when you jump/double jump and then immediately air dodge onto a platform and you air dodge lag will be reduced a ton! I think that the lag if you do this successfully is basically 0. and this seems to only work if you are below the platform I tried to do this as if I was trying to recover from being juggled around and it didn't seem to work. But I tried doing this from hanging onto the ledge when I would Let go of the ledge and then use my double jump and air dodge to make it back to the stage so I could be invincible and have 0 landing lag. When you air dodge then land you can see a huge wave puff around you as you are caught in air dodge lag, If you do this successfully you will see only a small wave only around your feet. *** This only seemed to work on certain characters I figured this out using C.Falcon and it worked but then I tried using a more fast faller character like fox and I couldn't get it to work but don't confirm him out yet. This is not only with C.Falcon as I tried this with lucina and it worked first try. I will try to get a video maybe recorded from my phone and then upload it or something.

I don't know what to call it is essentially wave landing but not really. If you guys can come up with a name that would be awesome

1. start below a platform

2. jump/double jump

3. Immediately after air dodge and land on the platform above you

4. Rinse and Repeat.

Also Lucina seems to be able to cancel her air dodge when she lands with whatever she wants. not sure about any other characters.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This is just Edge canceling. When you Drift Cancel (I.E. land on the ground whilst drifting) you slide a bit. Airdodge allows you to slide off of platforms, canceling the lag. Done.

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if it is edge cancelling because you don't ever have to slide of the platform.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Sure, it's just edge canceling, but air dodge seems to be the only move that can edge cancel across all characters. It's use seems to be pretty situational though.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I'm having a hard time understanding. I tried jumping up through and ontop of the tallest platform of battlefield as Falcon amd airdodging right as/before I landed. I noticed no reduction in landing lag.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it is edge cancelling because you don't ever have to slide of the platform.
How else would you cancel the lag? Unless you mean to simply auto-cancel the airdodge then of course you would land lagless because you finished the move.
I don't see why you'd describe it as Wave Landing. It's more like Platform Canceling like in brawl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvg5p5wNLE0
Except you go through your whole Airdodge, then barely land on the platform

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Ok start the video at 20 seconds (sorry for the shaking cam)

You can see me air dodging with full lag and it makes a pretty big cloud under me

@:25 and at :27 I air dodge from the ground and you can see the cloud is alot smaller and I do a jab immediatley

@:39 I do it successfully from the ledge

@1:08 I Imeediatley shield after landing

@1:27 Lucina seems to be able to just cancel the lag and I have only tested it with her and c.falcon and i couldn't get it with c.falcon

Sorry I don't know much about brawl and I just didn't know what to call it so the closest thing I could think of was wave landing.

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
wave landing is already a thing and that is called autocancel

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
I know wave landing is already a thing I just used it to describe what is happening...

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
you're landing the first couple of frames after the airdodge ends, so you play the no-attack-done landing animation which is significantly shorter than if you were airdodging/attacking. this is called autocanceling.

Last edited:

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Ok its just auto cancel. thanks for the clarification.

Why don't people emphasize on this more I feel like it could be extremely useful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom