• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was the guy I was fighting lagging the match on purpose ?

TotallyNotMikey

Smash Cadet
Warrington, Cheshire, North West of England.
Heyo.

I was kicking this guys ass and 2 stocked him as Falco (Idk why I was playing Falco)

He switched to ZSS and I took a stock before he paused for a while on the respawn platform, then charged right at me. It was at this point that I started to experience horrible delays, as in 2-3 seconds of input. He did end up taking both of my stocks, but I stuck around. Again, I take a stock, then the match lags horribly again, causing me to lose both of my stocks. At this point I was a bit suspicious, so switched to a character I knew little about, Dedede. After he took a stock from me throughout a very clean match, with no lag whatsoever, I took one of his with a Gordo. Again, pause, 2-3 second input delay.

Is there a way people can lag the matches purposely on For Glory? Am I just reading too deep into this? I'd love to know. I usually don't play For Glory cus Final Destination only is a bit silly.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have yet to experience anything I could see as intentional tampering with the network connection to gain an advantage. Considering it wouldn't even be fun for them

I used to see things like this in other games - people pulling the ethernet cable out of their console for <1 second to manipulate map choice/trolling everyone to quit so they can get the win. I can't understand why someone would do that for Smash, though as losing on FG has no negative effect whatsoever except for possible ego bruises.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I usually don't stick around with lag unless its teams and I really the group. Lag shuts down my main. I usually have to start playing Yoshi at that point. But I do think about this idea sometimes. It is really pointless though because the competitive community doesn't look at for glory records as your skill. I only go on for glory for the lulz and to practice for that online tournament they said would come.
I don't usually have this happen but does look like the person you said was manipulating the battle. Lag can affect matches big time.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Definitely encountered a guy like this. I believe he was using a lag switch, but the very EXACT moment I get knocked off the stage he lags it intentionally and I have to click my up b repeatedly to get it to perform and ensure my survival, but the match literally is paused and lacks a minute as I am being knocked off and getting back on the stage for a brief 10-20 seconds, but as soon as I get on the stage it's back to normal. I've rarely encountered any of these people, only 2 actually, but these people are real big ****ing scumbags.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Heyo.

I was kicking this guys *** and 2 stocked him as Falco (Idk why I was playing Falco)

He switched to ZSS and I took a stock before he paused for a while on the respawn platform, then charged right at me. It was at this point that I started to experience horrible delays, as in 2-3 seconds of input. He did end up taking both of my stocks, but I stuck around. Again, I take a stock, then the match lags horribly again, causing me to lose both of my stocks. At this point I was a bit suspicious, so switched to a character I knew little about, Dedede. After he took a stock from me throughout a very clean match, with no lag whatsoever, I took one of his with a Gordo. Again, pause, 2-3 second input delay.

Is there a way people can lag the matches purposely on For Glory? Am I just reading too deep into this? I'd love to know. I usually don't play For Glory cus Final Destination only is a bit silly.
It could be possible to weaken his connection to gain a lag advantage.. but that being said.. lag isn't an advantage for either of you. whatever you're feeling on your end, he's also getting on his end. If you care about your For Glory W/L ratio, get better at playing during lag i guess. Or do the sensible thing like i do and just SD and find a player who you can have an enjoyable match with.

TotallyNotMikey

Smash Cadet
Warrington, Cheshire, North West of England.
It could be possible to weaken his connection to gain a lag advantage.. but that being said.. lag isn't an advantage for either of you. whatever you're feeling on your end, he's also getting on his end. If you care about your For Glory W/L ratio, get better at playing during lag i guess. Or do the sensible thing like i do and just SD and find a player who you can have an enjoyable match with.
I would care about my W/L a lot more if it was public and wasn't already destroyed from experimentation.

I usually just SD and see them taunt, lol.

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
But some characters like ganon get a buff under laggy conditions.

For example a couple days ago, I was playing a ganondorf with yoshi and took the first stock while at 0%. ALL of a sudden, a wave of input lag sweeps in. I have a wired connection so I'm tempted to believe this guy was doing it on purpose. He got me up to 76% before he started camping on the ledge at 135% due to getting read even with the terrible lag. His side-b and down-b were completely safe unlike in regular conditions so I had to egg lay him while he was shielding on the ledge.

Still a two stock, but closer than it should have been.

Top Bottom