• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was sonic buffed or nerfed in 3.6?

Luig

Confused
So, I'm looking at the 3.6 changelist for sonic and I can't tell if he was buffed or nerfed. All I know is the devs must hate sonic for not buffing him from the atrocious nerfs in 3.5. but seriously, can somebody tell me? I can't play until tommorow.

Last edited:

leelue

Smash Lord
They are, essentially, hitbox buffs on nair, dash attack is bigger on the startup, and down tilt is both a little more rangey and comes out a little faster. Overall, small sonic buffs around.

The fox nerfs are Sonic buffs too, if you want to think of it that way.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Sonic is for the most part untouched, gattaling grab is better, d tilt is unnoticably faster, and longer reaching, and nair is better.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
They nerfed sonic because he was a toxic character, I know way too many sonic's who didn't know any tech (40% l cancels, never wavedashed) before 3.5 dropped, they were brain dead, no it wasn't because of wizzrobe, it was because a lot of sonic kit was unreasonable.

leelue

Smash Lord
I didn't really think much about wizzrobe when that nerf cycle was going through. I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but some stuff about sonic was really just overtly silly.

Last edited:

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
(Personal opinion don't get all upset over this) but I only considered Rat and Wizzrobe to be good Sonic players before the nerfs.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Wizzrobe definitely had something to do with it. There is a pretty notable trend though: Top tier characters are always nerfed, and in 2.5 - 3.0 Sonic was top tier and kept getting nerfed.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
100% buff, Dtilt is 1 frame faster (nice its a good move) and nair doesn't have a stupid hitbox which makes it inconsistent for combos and mixups, so for me its a really nice buff.

+ the uptilt buff

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
--All three of Sonic's taunts can be looped by holding their respective taunt buttons.
Oooohohohohohohohohoho, this dude got buffed, alright.

Still probably just gonna do taunt-cancelling shenanigans though.

Zenokidz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Narukami
3DS FC
1091-8486-9344
He got slightly buffed with Nair and dtilt so thats cool. And loopable taunts are hella sick...

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
I can confirm that Wizzrobe had nothing to do with Sonic's past nerfs and they were already being tested when Wizzy gave the would-be-changed moves wide exposure.

Uptilt hitting in the back is more of a fix than a buff, the hitboxes weren't changed and it's a by-product of making the animation closer to the source material.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
I can confirm that Wizzrobe had nothing to do with Sonic's past nerfs and they were already being tested when Wizzy gave the would-be-changed moves wide exposure.

Uptilt hitting in the back is more of a fix than a buff, the hitboxes weren't changed and it's a by-product of making the animation closer to the source material.
Out of curiosity because people bring this up, is the balance made final this patch as in is the BETA only for bug fixes?

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
It really depends on how things go during the beta period, but we are currently not expecting the balance edits to change by 3.6.

Much can happen so I can't answer with complete certainty.

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
According to other developers, it's called 3.6 Beta because there may be some bugs that made it into the build.

Last edited:

leelue

Smash Lord
Right, fbs, I forgot that the changes were already in the machine. It's been a long time...

Wizzrobe definitely had something to do with it.
Yu do dis

(Personal opinion don't get all upset over this) but I only considered Rat and Wizzrobe to be good Sonic players before the nerfs.
Good thing the bad sonic players were able to tell he needed changes without wizzrobe then (although Rat may have been in on the nerfs at the time, back when he was in development)

Last edited:

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
They seemed to pay more attention to taunts this update. My other main Luigi, got a swaggin on em' taunt....
Yeah don't forget the taunts, heck even the ones off his neutral B on hit. Tis a massive buff in itself seeing sonic preform those new ones from the previous version more smoothly now in 3.6. Love the up taunt especially now.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Just got to play in a small Tourney today. I really like 3.6 as a whole, and I think Sonic fits in well. I still don't like Ivy though...

Top Bottom