• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was Mewtwo THAT hated back in Melee?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, apparently there are these rumors that people actually petitioned for Mewtwo to be removed just because he was considered one of the worst characters in the game.

I don't buy it. The only people who would make that kind of petition would be what we call "tourneyfags" (NOTE: I am talking about vocal, assholish competitive players, not ALL competitive players). And we all know that they make only a small percentage of the entire population of Smash players.

Most people I know really loved Mewtwo. He was fun to use and had a lot of awesome attacks. If the tourneyfags really got THAT vocal enough to influence putting Lucario in over Mewtwo (when they were both supposed to be in the game but one had to be cut for time constraints)... no, that couldn't have been possible.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For starters, I've never really heard of this seriously being a thing. There were lots of people that didn't want Mewtwo (and some other characters like Pichu and G&W) to return because they thought he was a bad character, yeah, but I don't think there was ever a petition or that it was really serious. I think someone riled you up over nothing.

That said, Mewtwo hasn't received a lot of love by the community when it comes to his tier position. Honestly, with someone like Taj performing as solidly as he did for as long as he did, he should be much higher on the list. IMO, it's just that he was considered to be so bad at the very, very beginning due to being so weird, floaty, and having an odd moveset, and people haven't really gotten over this to consider him to be good. If Pika can be as high as he/she is due to Axe (and PikaChad, shoutouts to his amazing southern Pikaness), I don't see why Mewtwo is still so low and considered garbage.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, apparently there are these rumors that people actually petitioned for Mewtwo to be removed just because he was considered one of the worst characters in the game.

I don't buy it. The only people who would make that kind of petition would be what we call "tourney****" (NOTE: I am talking about vocal, assholish competitive players, not ALL competitive players). And we all know that they make only a small percentage of the entire population of Smash players.

Most people I know really loved Mewtwo. He was fun to use and had a lot of awesome attacks. If the tourney**** really got THAT vocal enough to influence putting Lucario in over Mewtwo (when they were both supposed to be in the game but one had to be cut for time constraints)... no, that couldn't have been possible.
This entire post like... What? What do tournament players have to do with people not like Mewtwo's inclusion in a Smash Bros title? Where are your sources? 4chan? Where's the petition link? Sounds like a load of **** if you ask me. There's no point to this thread.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
This entire post like... What? What do tournament players have to do with people not like Mewtwo's inclusion in a Smash Bros title? Where are your sources? 4chan? Where's the petition link? Sounds like a load of **** if you ask me. There's no point to this thread.
Yeah, apparently there are these RUMORS...
That's what they are. Rumors.

Here's one source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl/41955902

Here's another: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206065021AAqE7ye

Quillion

Smash Hero
Gamefaqs and yahoo answers
Yeah I'm done here
You're acting like I believe them. I don't. At all. That's why I said they were RUMORS.

That said, Mewtwo hasn't received a lot of love by the community when it comes to his tier position. Honestly, with someone like Taj performing as solidly as he did for as long as he did, he should be much higher on the list. IMO, it's just that he was considered to be so bad at the very, very beginning due to being so weird, floaty, and having an odd moveset, and people haven't really gotten over this to consider him to be good. If Pika can be as high as he/she is due to Axe (and PikaChad, shoutouts to his amazing southern Pikaness), I don't see why Mewtwo is still so low and considered garbage.
But how much influence does the core community have on Smash players as a whole, anyway? I never saw that I know hated Mewtwo, and I agree; he was fun to play as.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Not much. I mean, there might have been a petition, I wasn't aware of it, but I can guarantee you that it made absolutely no impact on Nintendo or anyone that mattered. I think it would make more sense to turn this thread to the topic of why Mewtwo has always been so low despite some solid mains, which is something that is worth discussing really.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not much. I mean, there might have been a petition, I wasn't aware of it, but I can guarantee you that it made absolutely no impact on Nintendo or anyone that mattered. I think it would make more sense to turn this thread to the topic of why Mewtwo has always been so low despite some solid mains, which is something that is worth discussing really.
The problem is that SSB mechanics are always unkind to Mighty Glaciers, which is what Mewtwo is. But he also has the disadvantage of being light, which ruins things further.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I actually think M2 is quite fast. Not so much in his ground speed, but his wavedash, air speed, and quick DJCancelable aerials. If you factor in the potential that teleport has, he can cover ground really fast. If one has solid tech, M2 doesn't seem so slow IMO.

I do wish he was heavier though.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadano

Magical Express
Everyone watching, I friggin hate Jigglypuff. I think she's the worst character. Why can she just press down-B and kill you? Doesn't make any sense.

… I’m sorry, what were we talking about?

C3CC

Smash Lord
He was hated as a fighter, but not as a character. I recall seeing people saying "I don't care if I don't use him of he sucks, but it's just cool to have him around".

Quillion

Smash Hero
He was hated as a fighter, but not as a character. I recall seeing people saying "I don't care if I don't use him of he sucks, but it's just cool to have him around".
Makes sense. When I brought up on the K. Rool DLC support thread that Mighty Glaciers always suck, they didn't really care and just wanted him.

My faith in the Smash community was restored that day. (I think Smash fans are smarter than what other people think)

C3CC

Smash Lord
Makes sense. When I brought up on the K. Rool DLC support thread that Mighty Glaciers always suck, they didn't really care and just wanted him.

My faith in the Smash community was restored that day. (I think Smash fans are smarter than what other people think)
May I ask what a Mighty Glacier is? I have no idea :c

Quillion

Smash Hero
Everyone watching, I friggin hate Jigglypuff. I think she's the worst character. Why can she just press down-B and kill you? Doesn't make any sense.
And Rest doesn't even heal, not even in PM.

You know, LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO IN THE POKEMON GAMES!!!!????

Except Balanced Brawl. I've had more fun with that than any Smash game and mod honestly.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
In my small Melee Smash community in the midwest he was a liked character especially with items on but there was really no question he was one of the worst characters in the game.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
I don't think a character this hated would be new DLC, have fans pestering Sakurai for him, have more and more competitive players use him, and even one of the best Melee players naming himself after Mewtwo. Yeah, I don't think he was that hated.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Mew2 sucked beyond belief...though...

He Was SLOW, WEAK & LIGHT
Atleast Ganondorf and Bowser were really strong and heavy
They also have many downsides, don't act like they're absolutely perfect.

Top Bottom