• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

was DJC overrated?

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i'm not saying i didn't abuse DJC with yosh in melee, but after all the sick buffs he's gotten in brawl, i truly don't miss DJC, and to be honest i think some people are overemphasizing it. it never really gave yoshi a crazy unfair advantage (on most lists he was always "bottom tier", not like i ever gave a **** about tier lists). anyways, what i'm getting at is these people who go "omg no DJC, yosh is automatically teh suck" are overemphasizing DJC, and aren't looking at some of the crazy buffs he's gotten in this version.

brawl focuses a lot more on aerial combat (everyone's more floaty), and i think yoshi benefits from this a lot. his aerial game is only rivaled by meta knight (yoshi mainers, play with him, he's really fun for us), but maybe i'm forgetting someone. also, is it just me or does yoshi do a lot of damage for how fast he is? i'll gladly swap no DJC (which affects everyone) for all these buffs. :)

ethadream

Smash Rookie
Hmm, Yoshi does have pretty insane aerial games.

I'm pretty sure that Marth is still on par (if still not the best) with Meta Knight/Yoshi. Not to mention, characters like Toon Link, Jiggly, Lucas, Ness, and others all have improved air games.

It is true that Brawl is more focused in the aerial aspect. Therefore, I think Yoshi can abuse some advantages he have on the GROUND. For instance, his Egg Toss and Egg Roll got improved. I still can't see a staple use for Egg Roll, but it's not that bad of a move anymore.

Yoshi is even more of a Mario than Mario, :p. Meaning, he is very balanced and very versatile in pretty much all aspects - even in recovery, since the Egg Boost is pretty noticeable.

Gindler

Smash Champion
i'm not saying i didn't abuse DJC with yosh in melee, but after all the sick buffs he's gotten in brawl, i truly don't miss DJC, and to be honest i think some people are overemphasizing it. it never really gave yoshi a crazy unfair advantage (on most lists he was always "bottom tier", not like i ever gave a **** about tier lists). anyways, what i'm getting at is these people who go "omg no DJC, yosh is automatically teh suck" are overemphasizing DJC, and aren't looking at some of the crazy buffs he's gotten in this version.

brawl focuses a lot more on aerial combat (everyone's more floaty), and i think yoshi benefits from this a lot. his aerial game is only rivaled by meta knight (yoshi mainers, play with him, he's really fun for us), but maybe i'm forgetting someone. also, is it just me or does yoshi do a lot of damage for how fast he is? i'll gladly swap no DJC (which affects everyone) for all these buffs. :)
I honestly don't miss the DJC, sure it helped with some moves but now I don't use the DJ unless i'm recovering or knocking someone into the air with the Uair for the kill. His Bair is murder, I use it with a short hop as a ground based attack in all actuallity. Yeah yoshi's got some good running speed for his power and durability, his Fsmash kills at reasonable percentages and so does his Nair and Upsmash. He also survives to the high 100's everytime, not many other characters are as reliable as that.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
I looked at that combo video (which has already been posted) and well, the edge guarding for our dino has improved a lot. plus with the combos without DJC *thinking of 2 Uairs*, I say he has improved without the use of it. Although there are some ways he can hit opponents in Melee that he won't be able to do in Brawl, but I say that calls for new strategies to be found.

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
I never used DJC in Melee. I just never found it to be necessary. I think that matches can certainly be won without it, and people who used it a lot are finding ways to cope and adapt. This is what players do.

The Brawl Yoshi suits my Melee Yoshi playing style very well. The most noticeable change, for me, is that his recovery is way better, with the extra armor on his second jump and the egg-throw recoveries. I still abuse his smashes from time to time, but I try to mix it up a bit. I've had Yoshi as a main since Smash 64, and I think he's a very solid character. People do underestimate him, but I like it that way, because then he isn't overused like Ike, my other main. >_>'

Yoshi_FTW

Smash Rookie
I did not use DJC in Melee because I really had to reason to i had plenty of other ways to get foes off the stage

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
The DJC is what gave Yoshi personality in Melee. It defined who he was, gave him some amazing combos and generally MADE HIM FUN. The loss for me personally was a big one.

However, after playing and adjusting to Brawl, I mind less and less. I find I can use the new DJC to combo in different ways. Granted, at this point it is less versatile than Melee DJC, but heck, the game's not even out in my region yet so I'm not passing judgement on which is the more effective.

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I haven't played him enough but I CANNOT stand that he doesn't have his double jump. Its hurting me. I'm loyal to the dino so I won't give up on him, but I get frustrated so much it makes me play other characters to avoid the obvious learning curve that I have to unlearn.

I'm not giving up on him. He will always and still is my main.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DJC made Yoshi overly technical to handle. Seriously, the trajectory you go at can get really weird depending on WHEN you use an aerial attack. NASTY NASTY NASTY.

Instead, it's much easier to handle Yoshi continuing to move upwards while you use an aerial attack. It helps him follow up opponents when juggling.

What's more important IMO for utilizing Yoshi's air game well is to note that he has really really good DI. He can effectively weave in and out of grab range with aerial attacks.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
Instead, it's much easier to handle Yoshi continuing to move upwards while you use an aerial attack. It helps him follow up opponents when juggling.

this is exactly what i was referring to. thanks for picking up on it, just need some affirmation.

overrall, what i'm getting at is yoshi's buffs greatly outweigh his nerfs/weaknesses. in laymen's terms, brawl yoshi>melee yoshi. people who look simply at his weaknesses (which all characters have, believe it or not) while completely overlooking his strengths, then immediately claim "yoshi sucks, bottom tier" should do themselves a favor and stop posting, no hard feelings.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
I've been adjusting slowly to DJC's absence. I still find myself trying to do it and ending up floating around over my opponents head with no midair jump (not the best position to be in). But overall I would have to agree that DJC wasn't as big a loss as some are implying. I would almost say that DJC would hurt Yoshi in Brawl...but I'd probably be wrong, so I won't.

Top Bottom