• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was Brawl Underated?

pyro363

Smash Journeyman
looking for youko and samurai panda at michigan st
Ok so really this question is voted by the person who writes the article or a person who plays the game or even people who don't play it or have never played it. I think some places like ign, which gave the game a 9.5 out of ten were wrong in the whole sense and should play the game again to see what they think. But then you look at places like famistu who gave it a perfect 40/40. In esence i think the place who didn't give it close to a ten are wrong in rating it. I have the game and played it for a while now and i think every person who plays or writes should agree or at make a decent close grade to perfect. What do you guys think? I gave brawl a perfect 10/10 what do you give it after playing it? If you didn't play it don't rate it!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Brawl is a great game, but it's not a perfect game by any means.

If anything it's overrated.

Besides, if you actually looked at their scoring systems, 9.5 is fantastic, and you really shouldn't be complaining about that.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it should be rated any higher than it already is. It's a really fun game to play. A lot of people think it should be rated lower because it's not how they wanted it to be and ended up disappointed. The quality of the game is easily reflected by the amount of time the developers put into it. Great game 10/10.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I love Super Smash Bros if it was possible for me to give it an 11/10 I would, however I understand that other people do not have the same taste in games that I do so I beleive its rating is fair.

I am not trying to be ignorant or anything, but please work on your English a bit, I lost brain cells trying to read that.

Novus

Smash Apprentice
10/10 doesn't mean perfect. If it was something impossible to achieve, then it wouldn't be graded out of 10.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I love Super Smash Bros if it was possible for me to give it an 11/10 I would, however I understand that other people do not have the same taste in games that I do so I beleive its rating is fair.

I am not trying to be ignorant or anything, but please work on your English a bit, I lost brain cells trying to read that.
Said the run-on-sentence.

The game isn't perfect. Fun, yes. Single player's repetitive. Wifi is still disappointing.

Scion

Smash Cadet
Reiterating what everyone said: Brawl is a great game. But it can't be perfect

no nintendo game in my book will ever be 10/10 until they upgrade their online features and go HD!
(hehe)

pyro363

Smash Journeyman
looking for youko and samurai panda at michigan st
ok i wrongly scored it. I agree that its not a perfect grade and its preety darn close. I must have been to hype and didn't read what i posted or maybe i was just mad at the time. It probably frustrated me that melee had recieved a better grade than brawl and i like brawl better than melee.

6footninja

Smash Ace
well, asking a question such as this to a forum just for Smash fans isn't gonna give you a "realistic" result by outside means.

as a fan, I love this game. 10/10
as a gamer in general, its worth 9/10.

its weird I know, but thats the way I view it

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Flaws that would lead to an unperfect rating:

-single player is really quite boring and repetitive.
-Wifi has pretty bad lag if you try to play someone that isn't within about 200 miles of you.
-Overall lack of online features, things like voice chat and rankings which are pretty important to make a game online playable (yes I realize there are chat programs and sites that run rankings and chat but that isn't brawl, that is the internet).
-Without people to play against this game would be collecting dust on the shelves within about a week or two.
-Graphics leave something to be desired, just slightly better then Melee and a full 6 years or more later.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
No such thing as perfect, if it was the perfect game we wouldn't play any other games.

pirkid

Smash Lord
I haven't played any other games since brawl came out :laugh:
Only been one week. :)

Game reviewers didn't follow the game like we did. They didn't hang onto every last word on the Dojo.

When looking at the rating for a game, look at it from an outsider's POV, not a fanboy's.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
This game is not perfect. There is so much room for improvement. For one, the stage builder is extremely lacking. What they did, with the time they had, is impressive. I just think they bit off more than they could chew, and some features just didn't end up as polished as other.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
After playing through it, I don't see it being a perfect game. It's a rather fun game, one of the best, but I felt so much more could have been brought out of the title itself.

Ignoring what it could have been, to look at the cons first. the Menus seem to be lacking, and without use of the Wiimote's motion sensor ability it just doesn't feel like a Wii game. There were plenty of places where the Wii's features could have been used, but Sakurai seems to be stuck in the GCN days. This is even more shown in the characters selection, with nothing from the Wii exclusively to show (LoZ:TP was originally a GCN title, it was just released on the Wii first to promote it). I know game developement started in 2005 and characters were decided and made by 2006, but they could have develepoed characters over time to show off the latest installments like Galaxy Mario over Sunshine. I know the Wii is still early in it's life span (if you can really call 2 years early), game wise at least, but show some Wii love.

I have some other issues, but they're not as major. the game deserved a 9/10 in my book. if it was more up to date on characters and showed off more of the console it was made for, I would agree with 9.5 but right now it feels too much like a high quality GCN game. If there was DLC available to help fix some of the issues with the game, and add some more up-to-date characters, depending on what was added, I might raise my score to a 10/10

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
To be concise and to the point...the game was overrated and possibly overhyped.

Still, that doesn't stop it from being a **** awesome game on its own. Asking this is like asking if Halo, GTA, Final Fantasy, or any other big name games are overrated; none are perfect, but they're all freakin' sweet XD

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well if your comparing it to Galaxy, I have both games and Brawl is a lot better then Galaxy. Galaxy deserves a 9.0 but not a 9.7 IMO. Brawl has so much more in Gameplay and is had a lot more effort put into it then Galaxy.

IGN made some good points about more needed in the game. SSE is awesome (I did not totally agree with their rating there) but it does seem that a few characters are missing. Where is Tails? Megaman? King K Rool? Krystal? Ridley? Mewtwo?

Also on no name online play, you can only play 2 minute games and no stock games which stinks.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Can Brawl possibly be overrated? No! It's the most balanced, most indepth, most option-wielding (fighting) game of ALL-TIME! Home-run contest. Co-op Home-run contest. Co-op home-run contest online. Multi-man-Brawl. Co-op Multi-man-Brawl. Co-op Multi-man-Brawl-online. Boss Fight mode. Co-op Boss fight mode. Training Mode. Multi-player (1-4) Training Mode) Target Test. Co-op Target Test. Co-op Target Test Online. Basic Brawl. Custom Brawl. Tournament Mode. The Subspace Emissary. The Subspace Emissary aftermath where you can play anyone! Classic mode. Event Matches. Co-op Event Matches. Stage builder. Stage Builder sneding to friends. Secrets of stage builder. 39 unique characters. 49 unique items. about 35 assist trophy NPCs. About 45 Pokéball Pokémon. Several NPCs. The most unique stage selection EVER! OVER 600 trophies. Over 800 stickers. Online play. With Anyone. Friend's Lists. Personal Avatars. Personal Avatars featuring your Miis. Spectator. Group Play. Customize Controls. Saving your customized controls to your username. Saving your customized controls to your Wiimote. Saving your customized controls for you username to your Wiimote. Final Smashes. Each character having hundreds, IF NOT THOUSANDS of original effect, statuses, powers, and unique abilities. 4 control schemes. Not a true sequal (from A Link to the Past to Counter-Strike, basically). Diffrent play style. Player-invented game, and meta-game. Footstool Jumping (you use this more then you think). Fun 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 1 vs. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 1 vs. 1, and 1 vs. 3 games. Handicaps. Stock mode. Time mode. Coin mode (ergh). 10 past stages. 31 new stages, that are all original, or revise classics. CPUs to face. A CPU online takeover system. Specialized 5 digit names. Each of the 29 characters has 3 taunts (except Snake, but he has the codec scenes). Codec moments with Snake, Wolf, Fox, and Falco. Personal pre-set taunt phrases online. The biggest and greatest musical score ever. 350 (plus) songs. At least 10 bosses, and boss battles. Some of the greatest and most classic sound effects. The most unique physics ever. A stage a day. A snapshot a day. A movie a day. 3 minutes of movie recording. The ability to take snap shots at ANY TIME! You make the game YOUR WAY, AND YOUR OWN F***ING GAME!

This is the most indepth, fully feature game EVER! PERIOD! Tell me how that's overrated. Brawl is a 10/10 game. No fighting game is more balanced. The only game more balanced is probably StarCraft, and that only has 3 factions, while Brawl has 39 playable characters. BIG DIFFRENCE! Brawl is the most fully featured game of all-time, and is the most diffrent sequal pretty much ever, the move from 2D to 3D, and throwing out old battle systems aside. (like tLOZ to Zelda II, or A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time) This is-simply put, the most fully featured game in basically every category...except online depth! :laugh: But hey, I've faced people on the other side of the continent with minimal lag. At least that's something! >_>

@ volbound1700
No one likes Tails. Seriously, no one. Knuckles isn't well-known. Megaman's creator didn't feel he was ready for smash. Sakurai favors Japanese gamers over American and European ones. That's why no King K. Rool or Ridley, and all these space animals, and they are destined for top/hgih tiers (again). And why Fox is one of three characters to get a personal entrance on their first confirmation in Brawl. The other being Sonic and Snake. And Fox being the only character to get a personal confirmation in Melee. >_<

Online play you can show your name, but only in "With Friends". At least it's only 12 numbers and not like...16 or 20, or however the Wii forces you to put in for the Wii Code #! :laugh:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
That's quite a laundry list of features. My only problems are nit-picky litte design issues, but that's just me.

If you could, would you mind elaborating on the "thousands of origianal effects." I'm just a little confused on what you mean by that. Thanks.

FalconPunch

Smash Journeyman
Can Brawl possibly be overrated? No! It's the most balanced, most indepth, most option-wielding (fighting) game of ALL-TIME! Home-run contest. Co-op Home-run contest. Co-op home-run contest online. Multi-man-Brawl. Co-op Multi-man-Brawl. Co-op Multi-man-Brawl-online. Boss Fight mode. Co-op Boss fight mode. Training Mode. Multi-player (1-4) Training Mode) Target Test. Co-op Target Test. Co-op Target Test Online. Basic Brawl. Custom Brawl. Tournament Mode. The Subspace Emissary. The Subspace Emissary aftermath where you can play anyone! Classic mode. Event Matches. Co-op Event Matches. Stage builder. Stage Builder sneding to friends. Secrets of stage builder. 39 unique characters. 49 unique items. about 35 assist trophy NPCs. About 45 Pokéball Pokémon. Several NPCs. The most unique stage selection EVER! OVER 600 trophies. Over 800 stickers. Online play. With Anyone. Friend's Lists. Personal Avatars. Personal Avatars featuring your Miis. Spectator. Group Play. Customize Controls. Saving your customized controls to your username. Saving your customized controls to your Wiimote. Saving your customized controls for you username to your Wiimote. Final Smashes. Each character having hundreds, IF NOT THOUSANDS of original effect, statuses, powers, and unique abilities. 4 control schemes. Not a true sequal (from A Link to the Past to Counter-Strike, basically). Diffrent play style. Player-invented game, and meta-game. Footstool Jumping (you use this more then you think). Fun 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 1 vs. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 1 vs. 1, and 1 vs. 3 games. Handicaps. Stock mode. Time mode. Coin mode (ergh). 10 past stages. 31 new stages, that are all original, or revise classics. CPUs to face. A CPU online takeover system. Specialized 5 digit names. Each of the 29 characters has 3 taunts (except Snake, but he has the codec scenes). Codec moments with Snake, Wolf, Fox, and Falco. Personal pre-set taunt phrases online. The biggest and greatest musical score ever. 350 (plus) songs. At least 10 bosses, and boss battles. Some of the greatest and most classic sound effects. The most unique physics ever. A stage a day. A snapshot a day. A movie a day. 3 minutes of movie recording. The ability to take snap shots at ANY TIME! You make the game YOUR WAY, AND YOUR OWN F***ING GAME!

This is the most indepth, fully feature game EVER! PERIOD! Tell me how that's overrated. Brawl is a 10/10 game. No fighting game is more balanced. The only game more balanced is probably StarCraft, and that only has 3 factions, while Brawl has 39 playable characters. BIG DIFFRENCE! Brawl is the most fully featured game of all-time, and is the most diffrent sequal pretty much ever, the move from 2D to 3D, and throwing out old battle systems aside. (like tLOZ to Zelda II, or A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time) This is-simply put, the most fully featured game in basically every category...except online depth! :laugh: But hey, I've faced people on the other side of the continent with minimal lag. At least that's something! >_>

@ volbound1700
No one likes Tails. Seriously, no one. Knuckles isn't well-known. Megaman's creator didn't feel he was ready for smash. Sakurai favors Japanese gamers over American and European ones. That's why no King K. Rool or Ridley, and all these space animals, and they are destined for top/hgih tiers (again). And why Fox is one of three characters to get a personal entrance on their first confirmation in Brawl. The other being Sonic and Snake. And Fox being the only character to get a personal confirmation in Melee. >_<

Online play you can show your name, but only in "With Friends". At least it's only 12 numbers and not like...16 or 20, or however the Wii forces you to put in for the Wii Code #! :laugh:
This is why Brawl is way overrated. "Most balanced" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Brawl is overated in NA, japan and europe. WAYY Underated in china, and South east asia. Nobody knows what the hell is smash bros in that part of the world. They only care about xbox and ps3. Ignorant noobs.

JawaJedi

Smash Journeyman
I've never given a game a 10/10, because there is no, and there will never be a perfect game. There's always atleast one person who can complain about one thing, and if that is possible, the game isn't really PERFECT then, is it? I don't think some people realize how big of a statement 10/10 really is, and they give it a perfect score without understanding that this means there is absolutely NOTHING in the game that could've been the slightest bit better. Sometimes, people even give it a perfect just for the fact that they like the game, not that they really believe the game is perfect. I'm not talking about everyone who gave it a 10, just a lot that I've seen. Brawl does not deserve a perfect score, because it is not perfect. People have been complaining about things for a long time, and still are today. If there is any room to complain, then a game is not truly perfect. That is why I gave Brawl a 9.5.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is why Brawl is way overrated. "Most balanced" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Can you prove me wrong? I keep hearing the Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf suck, but that's because we're all n00bs. I've faced several good Donkey Kong users. We don't know how to utilize Ganondorf's abilities. Ice Climbers will have their Melee-effect, and become amazing characters meta-game-wise afterwards. Go on, prove Brawl isn't balanced.

I've never given a game a 10/10, because there is no, and there will never be a perfect game. There's always atleast one person who can complain about one thing, and if that is possible, the game isn't really PERFECT then, is it? I don't think some people realize how big of a statement 10/10 really is, and they give it a perfect score without understanding that this means there is absolutely NOTHING in the game that could've been the slightest bit better. Sometimes, people even give it a perfect just for the fact that they like the game, not that they really believe the game is perfect. I'm not talking about everyone who gave it a 10, just a lot that I've seen. Brawl does not deserve a perfect score, because it is not perfect. People have been complaining about things for a long time, and still are today. If there is any room to complain, then a game is not truly perfect. That is why I gave Brawl a 9.5.
10/10 doesn't neccissarily mean perfect. It means perfect or near perfect in all areas. If you are rating on perfection, you are rating wrong (IMO). Nothing is perfect. Nothing ever will be perfect. 10/10 means it is the best game out there, and if not one of the best. By your method, no game deserves even a 9.0 in my book. But by this method, quite a few (maybe a bit over a dozen?) games deserve a 10 in my book. See the diffrence?

Top Bottom