• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Improved Dash Attack (Guaranteed tripping!?)

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching a ton of Wario gameplay online, and I think there's a new mechanic with his slide attack that can guarantee a trip on the opponent. If you do the slide, and the opponent is hit by the very tip of it, the very tail end of the attack, it appears that they are guaranteed to trip. If that's the case, you may be able to combo into Wario's fart or even his forward smash which is very, very, very powerful in this game.

I don't have the game so I can't experiment with it, so what do you guys think of this development?

Video of it in action, time stamped. (13:30 if link does not bring you to correct time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71fBjJmWug#t=827

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This is some M.Bison low HK stuff except you could possibly follow up. Holy crap.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Interesting. It definitely seems like it's guaranteed.

Though it doesn't seem like Wario is fast enough to punish it...

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Yeah, this works and you're guaranteed a Up-Smash/Waft out of it if fast enough to react.
Weak hit F-Air/N-Air - > Dash Attack -> (position Wario) -> Up-Smash.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
From testing in training mode, the moves that can combo directly after the dash attack if you connect with the very end of it are neutral A, ftilt, dtilt, neutral B, up B, and down B (Both half and fully charged versions).

From just the few For Glory matches I did, there were tons of chances for me to land a properly spaced dash attack, so this is going to be great for Wario once people get the hang of it.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but I've also tested this in Training Mode(I played Wario on the side in Brawl), and it appears only the late hitbox trips. The early hitbox does the usual knockback.

Mary

Smash Rookie
Have you guys actually tried this in a real match or have videos? It works in training mode but when I tested it with a buddy he managed to be able to roll out of every followup I could think of.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but I've also tested this in Training Mode(I played Wario on the side in Brawl), and it appears only the late hitbox trips. The early hitbox does the usual knockback.
Yeah it should have been said already.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
This only works if you hit with the very end of Wario's dash attack.

Too early and they'll trip, but you won't have enough time for a follow-up.

You have more leeway with the dash attack timing against certain characters like Link due to their tripping animation being slightly longer. Also, the distance the character bounces when they trip varies as well, which makes certain follow-ups impossible on some characters.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I decided to do some more extensive testing on the move after some had doubts about whether it's a true combo or not. In almost every case, I'm able to hit/grab the character in question before they even finish touching the ground after they trip, which basically rules out any possibility they could act and escape it. There are a few characters who are kind of iffy, like Yoshi, Meta Knight, and Charizard who have extremely short tripping animations, though.

It also just doesn't seem to work on some characters due to their lower weight and/or traction causing them to bounce too far behind Wario for him to reach them in time, which I'll list here:

Mario, Luigi, Diddy, Zelda, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Dr. Mario.

The timing to get some of the characters to land in front of Wario requires such frame perfect precision that I honestly doubt this is going to be a practical method of getting hit confirms on wafts and grabs, even once the Wii U version comes out and input lag isn't an issue.

Mary

Smash Rookie
Did you actually try it on a real human? Like, gotten a buddy and asked them to try to escape it? Because again, the whole point is that this and many other special techniques people find in this game looks like it works in training mode but actually doesn't against a real human.

I've tested this with at least five people by now some of which are fellow Wario players like Wafty.
Test it with a buddy and then get it on video and prove it--try to have one person as Wario and the other person try to escape especially using the tech roll. It would be helpful if you just don't just film the successful attempt but show a little before/after it to show that your partner demonstrates that he has the ability to tech roll if done wrong and distances/confirms that were misplaced.

I'm pretty sure this is bull**** and I encourage others to try it with their own friends to confirm this. Otherwise, I think we should all stop parroting misinformation and if I'm wrong, then that's super great tech for us to use and we'd have a video so we could all learn it properly.

The timing to get some of the characters to land in front of Wario requires such frame perfect precision that I honestly doubt this is going to be a practical method of getting hit confirms on wafts and grabs, even once the Wii U version comes out and input lag isn't an issue.
If it requires such frame perfect precision then why does it seem like so much people on this forum has got it down and keep mentioning it? Frame perfect or not being able to do true combos is really good if this were true.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why it would need to be tested on an actual player to determine whether or not it works.

It's easy enough to tell what the earliest possible frame you can act out of a trip is by simply playing at 1/4th speed and mashing as quickly as you can, and as I stated in my previous post, I was able to hit/grab a tripping Wario and numerous other characters well before they reached that particular frame. There also isn't any difference between rolling, standing, or attacking in terms of how quickly you're able to act.

If I actually had some people to test it with locally, I would. Testing it over WiFi isn't a good way to collect reliable information.

Top Bottom