• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Tech and Tips

Smob

Smash Rookie
NNID
ubergaming
3DS FC
2595-2362-0576
I've been checking this forum for a thread to pop up with some Wario tech and haven't seen one yet. I thought I would take it upon myself to start one...

Combos:
Since there's so many combos Wario has, and a lot of them depend on %s, what character you're playing against, and DI I'm going to split this section up into three catageories: Combo starters at low, mid, and high percents. I'll add a section for videos of combos.

Combo Starters:
Low Percents -

Up Throw (only works at very low percents to up air)
falling up air
up tilt
raising nair
landing nair (soft hit)
landing fair (not really combo, but you can act faster than they can shield grab you so I'm including this here)

Mid Percents-
falling up air
up tilt
landing nair (soft hit)

High Percents-
falling up air (some characters)
dtilt -> buffered dash attack, fair (at the ledge), ftilt (sometimes)

Special mention: One of the hits of down air will combo, I'm not sure which one it is (1 or more of them are true, others are not) and it works at all percents.

Fun Combo Vids/Clips:
https://twitter.com/MeowMixSSB/status/1069827974680244224 (0 to 51%)
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExpensiveHorribleWalrusPJSugar ~45%

Kill Confirms:

Waft Setups - (percentages here are estimates, will vary on DI, character, rage, etc.)
1. soft hit nair (~40%)
2. failling up air (30-60%)
3. uptilt (35-50)
4. down air (35% and above) NOTE: This one is tricky, depending on what the last hit of the down air is it's either true or not.

Dtilt -> buffered dash attack (90%-130%)

Pro Matches:
Wario Matches from Genesis 6: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrD05AxjYxOVdH4yt9VnkDEIzQECLuqKz

Conclusion:
Wario being a main is a new thing for me and I'm not as well versed as others with Wario tech so I'm hoping you fine folks can help add to this thread. As posts get added to this thread, I'll do my best to keep this post up top updated as a quick reference.

~Smob

Last edited:

Whygul

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
6528-5460-7508
Thanks for starting this thread!

I just learned that jablock isn't real today and it kind of broke my heart. That being said, some really basic stuff I have been messing with:

SHFair with enemy at 46%+ -> missed tech -> jab to extend missed tech -> waft/fsmash
Falling upair -> SHupair -> upspecial

Not a string, but we get a lot of mileage out of the roll-cancelled boost grab and pivot cancelled f-tilt, I'm really enjoying integrating both.

Edit: It's also worth noting that that wario string posted from twitter was a no-DI situation. I'll definitely try messing with something like that though against humans as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I've noticed that until around 70% on middle-weight characters that the late hit of fair produces a really lengthy stagger animation on grounded targets, similar to the one caused by jab combos.

It's so long that you can actually connect a forward smash before it ends but it's not registering as a combo in training mode. I guess I should test if you can cancel the animation or not.

EDIT: You can cancel this type of stagger really early with pretty much any action so not even tilts can combo off of it. Grabs, maybe, but that's always been a thing.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
The changes to the airdodge system have opened up a new, powerful edgeguard tool: Corkscrew. Wario's Up B has decent knockback to it, and can kill around the 100% area near the edge of the stage. This makes for great edgeguards if your opponent goes high.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
More Edgeguarding tips. Bair hits below the ledge if timed right. Spotted this in a match Hikaru ran

_Keno_

Smash Lord
General thoughts on Wario:

Wario has a strong aerial game, but his ground game mostly seems to be lacking except for maybe up/down tilt.

*Most important part* His aerials autocancel off short-hop except for Dair, which is REALLY strong for an aerial kit with his crazy speed and drift. For those who don't know how, you can always short-hop autocancel those aerials by pressing A+X or A+Y (at the same time!). This might be BEST utilized by Wario tbh.
You can also hold buffer these aerials by holding A+Y or A+X while you are doing another action right before it ends (if that action ends on the ground).

Aerials:

Fair - Great for the spacing game due to reach, even better for going off stage to edgeguard.
Nair - Very fast, great out of shield option, or use on enemy shields. Good for starting combos, leads to U-air at most percents.
Bair - Great for killing/edge guarding, can be used in neutral for spacing if autocanceling.
U-air - main combo tool. Try to keep opponent above you with your SUPERIOR aerial mobility by spacing this move properly.
Dair - Can be used for some combos. Only aerial that can't be SH autocanceled. I mainly use this to get into people at diagonal angles from above.

You should really be testing your off-stage limits with Wario. This is likely where you will get a LOT of his kills. Edgeguarding seems very important for him due to slow smashes / poor kill potential while grounded.

B-Moves

Waft - Seems to charge a little faster and be less powerful? Still, a patient Wario can do quite well with it. One of his best kill methods. What are some good set-ups?
Up-B - Some potential to kill off top or be used out of shield, otherwise definitely low tier for recovery. Nair probably better OoS tbh.
Bite - Good as ever for a command grab. Some silly mind-game potential here, even added a heal!
Motorcycle - The existence of this lets you go really far off stage to edgeguard, then you can just bike back to stage. since it gives you back double jump.

Overall, I kinda like him! Wish he had Brawl Dair though.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I saw in a recent Japanese tournament that a Wario landed Sour Spot Nair -> 3/4 Waft on a ZSS at about 60%. Is this the first reliable set up?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I saw in a recent Japanese tournament that a Wario landed Sour Spot Nair -> 3/4 Waft on a ZSS at about 60%. Is this the first reliable set up?
Utilt is a much more reliable setup, and in a similar range

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Short hop nair into waft makes for a good shield punish now.

I also noticed that the bike moves less after Wario jumps off it while it's tilted forward, which means you can easily plant it on the ledge for edgeguard purposes if you air bike from a little past center stage. I like throwing it around on-stage now that it only gets damaged from actually hitting your opponent, and since it gets in the way of their attacks the generally higher hitlag can make them leave themselves open for longer then usual if they accidentally hit it with something.

Smob

Smash Rookie
NNID
ubergaming
3DS FC
2595-2362-0576
Sorry for the delay in adding content here, I have been very busy with work and family. I've had some time to play Wario a lot and study the character a bit. Even competed in an ultimate tournament with him.

I'll continue to update this post, hopefully more frequently :D

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Something I noticed while playing. Wario can ride his bike off stage and gimp people trying to recover. I did this to a Fox who tried to recover using his Up B and I stage spiked him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom