• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Help

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Wario main, everyone knows that, it's obvious on my avatar and main list.

But, I need help from some better Wario players than me.

I could really use some tips to help me be a better Wario main, since not many choose this Micro Game Maker,

So, do you have any tips for me about the "Wah"-Rio?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Providing some details on how you play would help people to provide suggestions.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea can you give us some of your general strategies? If you can use your phone to record a repay for us it'd help a lot too. (Try resting your phone somewhere instead of holding it to avoid shaky video)

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
-One major thing that you must be good at with wario ( in my opinion) is B reversals. It works wonders being able to b reverse your bite. It throws opponents off who think they are safe and can be used to punish rolls that you predict . Also if you run off a platform and B reverse you can change your momentum and bite a charging opponent.
- If you dont already know how to, learn how to walk off the stage and bike into it so you can get your bike on the stage and use it as a projectile to cover opponents ledge options and to provide some cover for yourself ( I wouldn't recommended leaving your bike on stage at any point unless your using it for a projectile in which you should destroy it after if i didn't already get destroyed)
- Dont be like me and think Nair sucks, use retreating Nair out of shield, if you get the second hit at low percents you can typically follow up with a upair.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I agree that B-reversed bites are essential to using Wario properly. Most people will typically expect a bair if your back is turned towards them during an aerial approach.

Also, from watching lots of Wario play in general, you can almost never bite too often. Shielding and sidestepping aerial approaches are natural reflexes for people due to them working on everyone else in the cast, but the bite shuts down both of those options.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
His bite is really great, and works as a grab. The bike can be used as a weapon, and as a recovery move. Plus, if you rear up (slowing), then you can squash the enemy with the first wheel: it's almost a sure KO if the percentage is more than 70/80%.
Plus, you can eat the bike to charge down B, the fart can be used to recover and it's an amazing weapon: sure KO over 60/70%, more powerful than a bob-omb.
Bair is great (14% damage, and it can be a kill move), and at slow percentage you can combo attacking with Nair or Dair and then upB.
Plus, the fatty one is heavy and hard to KO, but he has a good jump, handy and easy to control.
Down tilt is fast, annoying and you can chain a grab or a dash attack.

In my opinion Wario is better than in Brawl, strange but nice fighter. I love him, he's my best choice with Falco.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Well Great Dave, here are some of my Wario strategies,

-When against someone with poor recovery like Mac, then I just aim to throw them off the cliff and then when they try to recover, I just sit on the edge and continually use my F-Throw(or B-Throw) until they die.

-I like doing Wario's Down Aeral, combined with either a grab, an Up B or a Fart if he/she is at a high percentage.

-With not a lot of KO moves, I rely on my Fart to get the job done.

-I also use my Bike as recovery and like to fake out running into them, then jump backwards and do a Back Air, or if I'm lucky, a Fart.

And Falco is a great character to go with the Wario.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
So you're method of playing Wario is spam the bike like there's no tomorrow?

The people I play would quickly punish me like that!

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
So you're method of playing Wario is spam the bike like there's no tomorrow?

The people I play would quickly punish me like that!

You have to take some things into account here.

Wario vs. Diddy up close is not going to be a pretty match up. Diddy is too fast and Wario's moves lag too much that Didd will take advantage of it.

I spam the bike to make Diddy move around to get positioning I need. Notice Diddy shields most of them but I keep attacking with the bike to keep him honest which pays off when I get it down to 1v1 stock.

In the air, Diddy's attacks out power mine and he's too fast for me for regularly time a chomp in mid air. Notice I do get a few chomps in midair.

Anyways, don't think this dude felt I was spamming as he and I ended up playing 6 matches (split 3 and 3).

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
You have to take some things into account here.

Wario vs. Diddy up close is not going to be a pretty match up. Diddy is too fast and Wario's moves lag too much that Didd will take advantage of it.

I spam the bike to make Diddy move around to get positioning I need. Notice Diddy shields most of them but I keep attacking with the bike to keep him honest which pays off when I get it down to 1v1 stock.

In the air, Diddy's attacks out power mine and he's too fast for me for regularly time a chomp in mid air. Notice I do get a few chomps in midair.

Anyways, don't think this dude felt I was spamming as he and I ended up playing 6 matches (split 3 and 3).

That's a coward if you ask me. I would actually face Diddy and beat him up, not use a bike to move around.
That isn't the kind of Wario I wish to be.
And the quality of your video is subpar.

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
That's a coward if you ask me. I would actually face Diddy and beat him up, not use a bike to move around.

Yawn.

Wario is not as powerful as he was up close as he was in Brawl.

Almost all of Diddy's moves have priority over Wario up close.

You'd be insane not to utilize Wario's full moveset including his bike to beat someone as Top tier as Diddy.

The bike is one of the few things thay Wario has that has priority over most moves.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

Then you're a bad Wario player as you're unable to grasp how badly Diddy beats us if we were to go aggressive. I think you're a troll your posts are so random and don't add anything to discussions.

Last edited:

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Well Great Dave, here are some of my Wario strategies,

-When against someone with poor recovery like Mac, then I just aim to throw them off the cliff and then when they try to recover, I just sit on the edge and continually use my F-Throw(or B-Throw) until they die.

-I like doing Wario's Down Aeral, combined with either a grab, an Up B or a Fart if he/she is at a high percentage.

-With not a lot of KO moves, I rely on my Fart to get the job done.

-I also use my Bike as recovery and like to fake out running into them, then jump backwards and do a Back Air, or if I'm lucky, a Fart.

And Falco is a great character to go with the Wario.

Good strategy, Garlic :)
At low percentage, it's good to use Dair and then Up B or a grab. It's hard to use the fart soon after Dair, it needs some frames to activate, they could shield or roll.
Interesting your behaviour when the opponent is trying to reach the ground, if there's Little Mac you can wait for him to climb, grab again and again. Little Mac has a ridicolous recovery!
Anyway I think Wario has a good set of killing moves, apart from smashes: UpB (but only at high percentage with light characters), or also Up air works fine at high percentage...then Bair is great.

Anyway, in my opinion the bike has to be used frequently. It's a great move, has priority on many other moves, it's good for recovery...it's one of Wario's points of strenght, there's no reason to be afraid to spam that. Furthermore, it needs no time to be "recalled" after its destruction.
Of course you should have a rich playing style, but...playing with Wario is hard VS top tiers and fast characters (ZS Samus, Sonic, Diddy, Sheik), you need your bike to increase their percentage:chuckle:

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Then you're a bad Wario player as you're unable to grasp how badly Diddy beats us if we were to go aggressive. I think you're a troll your posts are so random and don't add anything to discussions.

I'm not a troll. I didn't know it was bad to not spam a bike when Diddy is around

I am sorry.

I suck as Wario(Not).

And to prove I'm not trolling, I will be nice and add to the conversation for now on.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I think and have always thought wario is even with Diddy and sonic. Wario doesn't have any landing lag on aerials if you get them to come out first frame and yo have great execution. Makes a huge difference in the matchup. You can't play overly aggressive at all but not camp either. Your bait and punish game must be on point. His worst MU is sheik which I feel is 6-4 even tho the are trying to argue on the character impressions thread that is even. There is no way sheik Wario is even.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I use lots of sour fair, that and full hop dair to nair on landing. I use the bike often to chase off stage and zone. I don't use his throws much aside from bite. I damage rack with uair juggles. I try and catcb rolls and other areas wherapplicable with fsmash kills. From my experience ds!ash sucks. I sometimes toss out dtilts when I know I can bait them with it. I don't b reverse bite, I turn it around so I don't alter my omentum.

Take this as you will.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I think and have always thought wario is even with Diddy and sonic. Wario doesn't have any landing lag on aerials if you get them to come out first frame and yo have great execution. Makes a huge difference in the matchup. You can't play overly aggressive at all but not camp either. Your bait and punish game must be on point. His worst MU is sheik which I feel is 6-4 even tho the are trying to argue on the character impressions thread that is even. There is no way sheik Wario is even.

I haven't beat any Sheiks in my for glory lifetime, and I've always wondered why.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I haven't beat any Sheiks in my for glory lifetime, and I've always wondered why.
I've beaten a ton but I've lost a ton. We can't use for glory stats to base any MUs off of because they are all final destination flat stages which as we know wario thrives on platform stages. That's something people forget is wario is amazing on counter pick stages he can use the platforms really to his advantage. I personally eliminate FD when I go to to tourneys so then I either get smashville or BF as my starter.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Cool, I like open stages with Wario like the Big Animal Crossing stage called the Town or something, but anyway, it helps me get my Wario space so I can run around and try to outwit the opponent and think of plans in the meantime.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Be very familiar with the bike

Example: if you pull out the bike while on the ground, and jump off while in the air, you can use it again as soon as it's ready. However, if you pull it out in the air, you need to land or jump up from a ledge before you can use your bike again.

What kind of tricks do you use on platform stages? I like throwing my bike forward so it lands on the platform above me

Last edited:

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I like to use my Bike as a barrier so when someone is coming from above, I chuck the bike at them. If they come from below, I either pull off a Fart(If it's fully charged and the foe has a high percentage) or use my Down Smash or dodge and grab them.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
I think Wario's bike is underestimated for the most part. It's a fantastic spacing option in the long run. It's also fairly easy to do fantastic damage with some of his bike combos. One of my favourite combos is >slow bike(hits twice)>jump out>Fair/Nair/Dair/Waft. I've been punishing opponents near the edge b > jumping out of the stage>using my bike to combo into Uair/Dair/Waft/Fair (depending on your positioning after the jump of course.) His bike is a great approaching and zoning tool against most characters, but zoners such as ROB, Link, and Robin are extremely troublesome. Your best bet is to use the bike against these zoners exclusively for chasing down opposers and executing punishes/extremely safe zoning.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
One usual tactic of mine is call the bike and then, near the oponent, jump. Then your enemy must cope with the coming bike and my fatty, who arrives from above. Sometimes, my opponent loses some time trying to destroy the bike and then I've some moments to attack. In general, the bike is a great instrument to distract the opponent from you.
As Adrian says, anyway, the bike loses some of its applications VS those "zoners" characters. Ness and Robin's fire, for instance, hits Wario and separate him from his bike.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Does doing a wheely block that, though?

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Don't do Wheelies. You might accidently kill yourself. Whenever I accidently do "Wheelie-Cide", I just quit the match, because Wario has very few moves for KO-ing.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Don't do Wheelies. You might accidently kill yourself. Whenever I accidently do "Wheelie-Cide", I just quit the match, because Wario has very few moves for KO-ing.
Do you mean offstage? Because on stage Wheelies are pretty solid.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Off-stage Wheelies-cides are extremely easy to evade as you start to get used to Wario's bike, and is actually very useful for killing opponents attempting to recover at high percents.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81

After all, I think our fatty has some good move to KO the opponent.
Apart from the smash moves, I could think D-air, U-air (only at high percentage, anyway), the fart, wheeling and squashing with the bike...;)

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Bait is one of my favorites. You gotta get them a bit high, sure, but more often than not you do anyway.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
After all, I think our fatty has some good move to KO the opponent.
Apart from the smash moves, I could think D-air, U-air (only at high percentage, anyway), the fart, wheeling and squashing with the bike...;)
Ftilt to me is his best KO move besides the waft. Easy to land and kills at like 120%

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Dtilt is not to be forgotten, anyway. It can't knock out the opponent, but it's fast, it damages decently, it has a good range and it's great to stress the enemy...after two or three tilts it's good to perfom a dash attack or a grab, generally it works :p
Ftilt is great too ;)

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I tried to use a wheelie today.

Samus used her charge shot and blew up my bike.

Wheelies leave Wario open. It's not a good idea.

Please don't consider this spam.

Last edited:

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
I tried to use a wheelie today.

Samus used her charge shot and blew up my bike.

Wheelies leave Wario open. It's not a good idea.

Please don't consider this spam.
A single try? I mean obviously a fully charged Charge Shot would break it. It was stupid of you to try in that situation; it doesn't mean wheelies are bad (especially since you're basing this off of one attempt lol)

Top Bottom