• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Comprehensive Changes Thread

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
After watching an absolute ton of Wario footage on the internet and scowering for information like a fiend I finally feel ready to post this list of Wario changes that I've noticed. Feel free to add your input if you know something I don't or if I got something wrong. Please note that this list of changes encompasses all things I've noticed about Wario, even irrelevant things that have no bearing on competitive play.

Movement

Running: Newer animation, less janky, runs a lot faster, seems to actually have above average land speed.
Jumping: New forward jump animation for the second jump where he doesn't spin and new back jump animation for the single jump where he does a back flip.
Crawling: Still can crawl, looks the same.

Dodge Roll: A lot faster and a lot less laggy. Actually seems good now.
Spot Dodge: Looks about the same.
Air Dodge: Has the same animation.

Normals

Jab combo: Faster, does less damage, second hit tends to whiff when opponent is too close to you as you do it.
Ftilt: Faster, same damage, similar knockback.
Dtilt: Much faster, weaker damage, spammable.
Utilt: Seems identical.

Dash attack: Less laggy, faster, tail end of the slide appears to cause automatic trip.
Get-up attack: Looks the same.
Ledge attacks: Looks the same as well.

Fsmash: Different move entirely. No longer a forward smash, but a backhanded punch by Wario. Has more range and more kill power but is slower and has no super armor frames.
Dsmash: Same strength and properties, animation is smoother, far less laggy.
Usmash: Different animation. A headbutt move now, looks to have more damage, knockback, and range all around.

Nair: Seems slower all around, 1st and 2nd hit don't connect to each other nearly as well.
Fair: Seems to have a bigger hit box all around. Something about this move in particular seems a lot better.
Bair: More damage and knock back.
Dair: Animation is longer, more effected by gravity, knockback increased. (Down Air no longer gets him lifted :( )
Uair: Much bigger hit box, less lag, much weaker, far less kill power.

Grab: Same grab. Range seems decent.
Pummel: Seems identical.
Forward Throw: Is now his old back grab from Brawl. Said to have more knockback now.
Back Throw: Is now his old forward throw from Brawl. Does much less damage, but the spin now hits people for 8%, which is 1% stronger than the throw itself.
Down Throw: Does slightly more damage, sends opponents farther away.
Up Throw: Largely the same.

Specials

Bite: Less ending lag, but much less priority, attacks seem to beat it a lot more. Eating things heal 1 HP now. Eating items that DO heal you increases the amount you would normally be healed by. Can now eat magical projectiles like Robin's fire attack but he doesn't heal from them. Finally, apparently eating items speeds up the Waft time according to one source but this is untested. Would be huge if it were true though.

Wario Bike: The bike got such a large assortment of buffs and nerfs in this game I don't even know what to think of it.

Buffs:
- Bike is much faster
- You can wheelie without losing speed
- You can combo the bike hits themselves by wheeling or turning
- The bike can be lifted and carried across the screen far more quickly
- Wario looks harder to knock off the bike
- Bike can damage people if Wario jumps off it
- You can eat the bike and its parts for small amounts of health
- The lowering the bike after a wheelie is a VERY powerful kill move now.

Nerfs:
- The bike is very hard to keep on stage as it has a lot of momentum to it
- No more tires. This is huge.
- No more wipe out mechanic meaning the bike can no longer be instantly dismounted. Another large nerf.
- Bike can be destroyed with Wario on it and it seems less durable

Wario Waft: Half Waft seems to have less knockback, range seems to be lessened, and full waft apparently has far more knockback, being able to KO some characters at 40% even. When Waft charges to max, there is a large blink flash of brown that converges on Wario before he begins to blink with a brown light normally.

Corkscrew: Appears to go higher, seems to have more knockback, hitting opponents with it at an earlier point seems to keep Wario and his victim in place as he spins on them. Not sure exactly how this works, could be wrong on this one.

Custom moves (credit to Sxips): http://imgur.com/a/HDLyX

Wario Man: Lasts a smaller amount of time, attacks seem to have more knockback however, the bike moves slower but has less killer power, electric corkscrew is 3 hits now and still has a lot of knockback, waft still charges super fast here, probably a lot more changes I don't know about.

Misc
-Taunts are largely the same although Wario's bike taunt has him laughing now.
-Farting win animation has a much bigger fart and more obvious smelling from Wario.
-Has a trophy of him in his Warioware outfit, Wario land outfit, and him in his Bruiser Kart from Mario Kart 7.
-Major nerf to his color options http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/8/87/WarioColorsSSB4.png :(
-Far more expressive with facial expression. Actually looks angry as he's attacking.
-Animations are a lot less janky in general.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
His fthrow (old bthrow in Brawl) actually has more knockback.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
To me it seems like he's been more rounded out, some of his extreme strengths tamed, the more extreme weaknesses less so, but this is largely based on observations and stuff you guys have all put together.

I can't wait to pick him up again, so thanks for the detailed breakdown. (Loss of shoulder bash is kinda sad, but I imagine they ran into a brick wall when they decided he needed a F-smash with more range and just bit the bullet.)

BSP

Smash Legend
Thank goodness or Uair nerf and no Fsmash armor. Mario might have a fair match with him now.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, why don't we wait to see how things pan out this time first before coming to conclusions alright? We don't need annoying "my character can beat your character" matches now already.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Hey guys, why don't we wait to see how things pan out this time first before coming to conclusions alright? We don't need annoying "my character can beat your character" matches now already.
Haven't you learned by now that these boards in general are filled with (mostly newbies) that are all about the argue now, research later strategy when it comes to match-up discussion?

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Can Wario only eat energy-based projectiles? I swear I heard someone say he can eat basically anything, like the Villager's Tree. Either way, the buffs to Chomp are very welcome.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
He can eat pretty much anything that Villager's Pocket works on. The only exception I've noticed so far is Zelda's Phantom.

Also, the second hit on his nair launches people upward now, which can easily be used as a combo starter, as it seems to have a fair bit of starting knockback, but low knockback scaling. Even if the move itself is slower, it feels buffed now that you can use it in this manner.

Top Bottom