• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanting to start in smash melee looking for tips

VenGem

Smash Rookie
Hello i recently saw that smash has a big competitive scene and it looked pretty fun so i was wondering if any one could help me get started with some tips. p.s i'm open to any suggestions

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Hey there! Welcome to Melee!
If you're starting from the VERY beginning, you'll need to get a set up, learn the basics, and find a scene to play with. This video can help you with that better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16e4E9Mezw

This is a GREAT resource. Watch the video, and check out some of the playlists it links you to. Do your best to learn everything it and the videos that it links you to, especially the "How to Learn Melee" playlist.
Don't shy away from grinding the same things over and over again -- yeah, it's a little boring, but the better you get at the basics (like short hopping, L-cancelling and whatnot), the better you'll get, and the more fun playing will be.
Find people to play against asap. Good players, bad players, in person or on netplay, at a tourney or just friendlies, you want to play people. They'll help you to figure out how you can improve, teach you the neutral game and start you thinking on the fly -- the fun part of melee.

Most importantly, relax and do your best to enjoy it. Melee is hard and it takes a lot of work to get good -- if you want to get there, you have to love the game. Good luck!

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Heh. Always putting out plugs for the Melee Library.
That being said, I highly recommended it, as well. I've used it SO many times -- it's amazing. Best part is, unlike a lot of tutorial videos or series, it doesn't ever get old. Once you learn all the basics, you can look at character specific things, and then advice on mentality... just really good overall.
(love you sycorax though you probs don't know who I am)

Top Bottom