• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanting to main ROB, need advice!

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
During the Brawl days, I used to often use ROB since he just felt so good to use. He seemed to be one of the most solid characters in my opinion.. But he feels different to me in Smash 4. I'm looking into possibly maining him so if anyone could post videos of ROB tech and combos, they would be greatly appreciated! Also, just good advice in general would be appreciated. I don't really need any videos that consist of matches since I can find those in the video thread lol.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
The main difference with ROB now vs ROB in brawl is that you can only have 1 gyro. Basically, you need to learn how to zone using gyro throws. The main things you need to avoid is letting them get up close (Gyros are your friend here, as well as nairs and fairs) and going offstage (ROB's recovery is easily gimped).

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The main difference with ROB now vs ROB in brawl is that you can only have 1 gyro. Basically, you need to learn how to zone using gyro throws. The main things you need to avoid is letting them get up close (Gyros are your friend here, as well as nairs and fairs) and going offstage (ROB's recovery is easily gimped).
I feel like this is a copy pasta or something.

But anyway, OP, you need to be a bit more specific. R.O.B isn't too advanced, it's just getting to know him really. There's some good A.T that is useful at high levels, but at a low level there isn't much. Downthrow combos into Uair and most percents.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Biggest thing is to learn how to utilize gyros and lasers. Lots of times a gyro will combo into a laser.

ALSO, the technique that really helped my ROB is learning how to z-drop the gyro. It is VERY handy.
Z-dropping has so many applications that are hard to describe over text so play around with it! I'm currently trying to implement the strategy of z-dropping the gyro on a recovering enemy then finishing them off with a spike.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I'm not in any way a professional player, but I'll give my advice regarding R.O.B.

First off, whilst Gyros no longer have that much K.O. potential, it's still very important to master the trajectory of your gyros and knowing generally how far they go depending on how long you charged them. Picking them up before the enemy does is also rather important.
Also, his gyros may have lost K.O. potential, but his u-air and side special now have some. When using his side special, you should definitively use his new finisher to it's full potential, as it has a decent amount of range. If someone is falling towards the ground with a somewhat high percentage, try finishing him by quickly executing his godly u-air. It's incredibly satisfying.

Oh yeah, use his u-throw often, it's cool.

Jaaahsh

Smash Cadet
A simple little early string (combo? not sure actually) is a close-up laser into a short-hopped f-air. The lasers pops most characters up at just the right height to shove them away with ROB's uncaring claws. This works on all characters (afaik) at early percentages and keeps working on mid-weight and heavier characters well into 60% and beyond. It makes for a great punish if you happened to snipe them after they whiffed a laggy smash or something.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
A simple little early string (combo? not sure actually) is a close-up laser into a short-hopped f-air. The lasers pops most characters up at just the right height to shove them away with ROB's uncaring claws. This works on all characters (afaik) at early percentages and keeps working on mid-weight and heavier characters well into 60% and beyond. It makes for a great punish if you happened to snipe them after they whiffed a laggy smash or something.
Good observation. But, wouldn't you say trying to get a close-up laser is rather risky, given the cooldown it has? And, wouldn't there be better punishes than blank laser -> F-air considering the frame data:

Laser + F-air = like 8 frames or so (not including the possible dash + required SH frames) whereas:
Grab = 7 frames + more f/u potential with N-, F-, U- airs or
U-smash on frame ?10ish? that could lead into potential followups??

Not trying to detract from your contribution, just curious as to your option select.

Jaaahsh

Smash Cadet
Not trying to detract from your contribution, just curious as to your option select.
No, course, it may not be the optimal choice to make, but it's something to throw the opponent off. You're absolutely right, a point-blank laser is incredibly risky because of cooldown, but this also works, thanks to the range of our f-air, as a decent distance. I tend to like firing off lasers to cover approaches or when a character (not Captain Falcon or Sonic for obvious reasons) start dashing towards me, especially as I'm falling.

As for the other options, up-smash is something I almost never do in neutral—it is so easily punished. And with regard to grab, I tend to think I am a very grabby ROB as it is, so I doubt it's healthy to have yet another option for me to exercise those grabbing sticks. :)

Perhaps short-hop laster into forward-air isn't optimal, but I think it's the kind of move combo that would give OP a solid idea about how useful ROB's f-air is.

Top Bottom