• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want to pick up R.O.B., a few tips to start?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Hi guys, Zelda main here. I'm pretty new to the competitive side of stuff, only recently getting to a local tourney. I'm looking for a secondary that should be easy for me to transition to, but still in my style of play (been trying Dedede, but not going so well). Considering that I find projectiles and grab combos the most fun part of playing Zelda I thought I'd give R.O.B. a go, since that's a large part of the gameplay I've seen of him. Was wondering if you guys had any tips for getting started with him.

Obviously I've messed around with all characters when playing with friends, so I know what I'm most worried about with him. First is recovery habits, Zelda's spoiled me, and secondly is the lack of a get off me button like Nayru's, so what do you do when they close and pressure?

Thanks!

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
  1. Practise beep boop (dtrow upair) combo to get it for dmg raking and as a kill tool latter on.
  2. Use Nair a lot.
  3. Use Dtilt a lot.
  4. Use neutral b a lot.
  5. Learn to UPsmash out of shield.
  6. Search the ROB forums and guides (most important I think is this one http://smashboards.com/guides/upgrade-learn-r-o-b-s-advanced-techniques.256/ ).
  7. Slowly learn his advanced technics (Gyro cancel is a sos).
  8. Watch videos online of good ROB players to get familiar with his playstyle (MR Eric's video is a really good start).
  9. Most importantly!!!!!!! Play with the GYRO. Experiment with it, use it all the time!!! ROB is unique only because of his gyro. Learn gyro spiking and and ledge gyro set ups.
About recovery, don't hold B when UPBing, mass it to reserve fuels. You can stay flowting more than 10 secs in the air only with the upb so take your time and find an opening to return safely back to the stage (either high or low). Use Bair when UPBing to cover horizontal ground. ROB is big and combo food and doesn't have a good get out of my face tool, so use your double jump wisely and remember to upb really high to avoid getting juggled all day.

Finally -------> Play with the GYRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mourinhosgum

Smash Rookie
NNID
mourinhosgum
3DS FC
1633-4652-4502
Gyro is your best move that you have, you can use it to set up things like spikes,up smashes and other things. So definitely learn to z-catch things without airdodging and learn to z-drop and use an aerial after to regrab the gyro.

If they pressure you, you can usmash oos if they use a punishable move.
Dtilt can convert into grabs if they trip or you can gyro them right after the dtilt to rack up some damage.
An angled Fsmash can catch people short hopping in front of your face so be sure to use that too.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Don't play rob at all right now honestly. Keep mastering your Zelda and don't worry about a secondary. It's all about skill and knowledge at locals.

Top Bottom