• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wanna know what you guys think...

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Le'see...

Needs more dtilt. (Always needs more dtilt, lawl, its an amazing move.)
Its a great move against marth. Spacing with the tip of it will beat out pretty much everything of marth's except his dtilt and his fsmash, and you can crounch cancel -> dtilt his dtilt if you're relatively close to him. Crouch cancel -> dtilt also pretty much destroys all of shiek's approaches, and just a great overall keep away move. If they shield a dtilt, you can always just run/wavedash away before they can counterattack, or space to poke at the edge of their leg sticking out of their shield.

The DED'ing was pretty good, but you might wanna tone down on the second+ strikes. The first tap is a wide sweep, and if you space right (which you should) you can hit people's shields without being in shield grab range (which is a free dtilt/fsmash if they try and whiff their grab). Just tapping them once keeps you out of range of ther shield grab, you can just continue with the extra swipes if they don't shield, and if they shield and try to roll behind you its a free fsmash/DED combo.

More grabs are in order. Besides dthrow -> fsmash/DED, vs marth off of a fthrow you can dash a little bit -> DED if they don't DI away (roy, throw mixup, what???). Fthrow -> running forward pivot fsmash can combo if they DI poorly, and can tip sometimes for a slight bit more knockback if they don't DI at all.
Shiek falls fast, so on top of maybe a dthrow -> fsmash, fthrow is a free techchase.

Despite popular belief, down air is a great move. Its got a little more lag on it, but its got a huge sweep, and combos very nicely into fsmashes at a wide variety of percent. Use it. :)

Flare blade sucks at edgeguard against pretty much everyone except space animals and falcon/ganon. Marth can hit you out of it, and shiek's sweetspotting won't get hit by a flare blade. You're better off getting to the edge as fast as you can to set up for a roll/ledge hop -> fsmash. A tip dtilt at the edge can also set up nicely for a full jump flare blade, which can lead to a kill (plus, if the dtilt misses you can always just wavedash backwards and proceed to make their job of getting up from the edge to the stage a nightmare).

Constructive criticism aside, not too bad. The DED spacing was good, and the fsmashes were nicely timed. Overall speed was pretty good, too. You just need to work some on being safe while still approaching quickly, and capitalizing on the hits you do get in :)

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I believe that you make a very good roy. In fact, im probably going to look over these video's quite a few times so I can get better with playing Roy.

ryguy_

Smash Rookie
very nice roy,
like sethlon said alittle more dtilt would be good

not sure what else, looks like sethlon already took care of all the loose ends here
lol

GA Peach

Smash Lord
thanks for watching and thanks for the comments. even though i usually play peach, playing roy is a ton of fun. lol, these vids are a bit dated, so you'll be happy to know that i use a lot more dtilt nowadays, sethlon.
also, yeah, i really do need to cut out those extra hits of the DED. it gets me killed a lot. i'm still confused on a couple of things, though, and maybe you can explain a little further. first off would be approach, particularly on marth, as i have an easier time approaching sheik. it seems that approaching is hard due to longer grab range/hitboxes on moves. that's the reason i hang back a good bit and try to make them come to me, which isn't always a good idea. also, when i edgeguard, i don't know what to do against marth most of the time. i use the roll/fsmash tactic a lot against sheik now, but marth seems to be able to make it back most of the time, and of course flare blade is out, and countering dolphin slash doesn't really do anything. maybe that tipped dtilt you were talking about? also, name some safe approaches for me, so i can try and either emulate them, or just take the basic concept and make my own. thanks again for watching and the comments, guys.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
well i dont know if you recognize my name but ive been to a couple of tournaments you went to, and you've always performed better so i dont know if you really need any tips from me :-D
but according to these vids (well i only watched a couple of them) you should be grabbing a lot more :-D
also try f-air--DED on some characters, pretty nifty.

i use roll f-smash on marth,. sheik has a lot more lag on her up-b after she lands than marth does. but if you can time it right, it could still work, seems like. if you can force marth to recovery to the platform rather than to the edge, and just get up there as soon as possible (sometimes with just tapping forward, not necessarily rolling if it wont get you hit) you can get an f-smash off a lot of the time. marth and sheik are roy's hardest matchups imo.

roy vs marth is basically mind games. roy has no advantages that i'm aware of over marth. the main advantage he has over other characters (range, and a disjointed hitbox) don't really apply in this match up. I dash dance and mix up doing 1 and 2 hits of the DED (continuing when the connect). I try to stay out of the air, because marth can pretty much fair you out of anything, although a retreating nair might work in some occasions. also as part of your mindgames you can do empty short hops. many marth's will immediately try to fair you out of the air, but you can just hop right out of their range and retalliate. either than or they will shield, and you can just grab em. one thing ive seen NEO do is run up to the Marth and immediately roll behind them. this work against aggresive marths who grab and f-smash as much as possible. against defensive marths this wont work tho. you just have to make him miss. i dont think roy has any "safe" moves against marth. just a lot of mindgames.

check out some NEO videos for inspiration. he's got Roy's mindgames down to a tee.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
I really dont know what to say man.... I just started playing roy last week... so 2 me your Roy looks fine... the only bad thing i noticed was that you Rolled alot... I used 2 main falco, now i started playing with Roy... and that's one thing i learned... is 2 never roll with certain characters or against certain characters b/c they can destroy... basically everytime you got knocked down you rolled right back into them so they could grab you again or attack you... and that's really the only thing i noticed... i guess these other guys no what they are talking about and know what to look for because they have been playing Roy way longer than I have... but overall I like your Roy.. b/c he's our Boy... and just stop rolling so much...

Top Bottom