• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wallpaper Malfunction

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
OK...

So I just took a snapshot of mine from Brawl and made one of those fake Motivational posters with it, to make my wallpaper.

I set it as my wallpaper, and it came out really, really weird. Like this (it's supposed to look like this). When I tried taking another picture and setting it as my wallpaper (the one I had had as my previous wallpaper), it worked. I tried the same picture again, same result. I tried a different picture, and it turned out the same as the picture I want as my wallpaper.

Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem is? Any solutions I can try? Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I now have the problem fixed, but I still have problems with some pictures and I have no clue what's causing this or how to fix it other than saving everything as a JPG. If anyone can figure out how to fix this, (given the information below) I would be very grateful.

• The problem only occurs when I try to set a PNG saved as a PNG in Photoshop Elements (4.0 if that would make a difference) as my wallpaper
  • I have been using PNGs for quite a while and have never had a problem before
  • I am using Windows XP for my operating system

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Really nice pic, I suggest you try changing the type of image to see what that does, you can just open it with MSPaint and save it as .jpg or .bmp(.png should work but it's worth trying), hope that works.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Really nice pic, I suggest you try changing the type of image to see what that does, you can just open it with MSPaint and save it as .jpg or .bmp(.png should work but it's worth trying), hope that works.
Thanks. :)

And also, thanks a lot for the advice. It worked! I really have no clue why the PNG wouldn't work, as I always use PNGs for...well, basically everything. Especially wallpapers. Also, I noticed that the other one (and ones I tested out just now) that didn't work was a PNG...yet, there are still some PNGs that work. And when I saved the picture as a JPG and then back to a PNG again, it works too...maybe something's going wonky with Photoshop (which is what I used to make the wallpaper in the first place)?

Eh, well anyways, thanks for the advice, and I'll probably keep on investigating to see if I can discover why my computer is rejecting PNGs...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If you want to find out why exactly your computer rejected the .PNG the first place I would go to is the Microsoft website, either to e-mail them about it or read about why it doesn't work if they do have anything about it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you want to find out why exactly your computer rejected the .PNG the first place I would go to is the Microsoft website, either to e-mail them about it or read about why it doesn't work if they do have anything about it.
Okay, thanks; I'll try that.

~rh

Smash Lord
Sory I'm no help, but that wallpaper is really nice!

DOWSER

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you gotta remember though, windows is screwy. It does what it wants when it wants.

Top Bottom