• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wallbombing for Height?

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all,

I was reading about how to use the Peach Bomber to gain height in the frame data thread, and i couldn't really understand how it works. I realize there is all this business about returning the control stick to neutral/using the bomber again before you are able to influence your jump, but it didn't make alot of sense when I read it and I couldn't get it to work when I practiced it. Sooooo if anyone could simplify the explanation for me, that would be wonderful :D

Also, anyone investigated which stages (or which parts of the stages) it works on/is most useful for? Thanks in advance!

Composeur

Smash Ace
The timing and spacing are very specific and you have to be sure you're smashing the control stick each time you do it (except the first time) because it sends you slightly further than an ordinary, non-smashed peach bomber, which falls short of the wall (on every tournament-legal stage) and leaves you to plummet to your probable death. The tricky part is just getting the timing right, but once you've found the right rhythm (I find that listening as well as watching helps) it's simple. Also, you won't get an explosion if you're TOO close to the wall, so make sure before you do your first bomber that there's at least a little bit of space between you and the wall. Personally, I find it's easiest to practice on a wall in the "Break the Targets" stage so that you don't die every time you **** up.

Its utility is limited but it CAN save you on certain stages. Yoshi's Story is the only tournament-legal stage where you can bomb yourself all the way up from the very bottom because there's a perfectly vertical, uninterrupted wall. There is a small area on FD (and also an even smaller one on FoD, I believe) offstage where you're too low to reach the ledge with your parasol but not too low to boost yourself up with a wallbomb. If you're below these areas, you won't be able to start wallbombing because the walls aren't vertical enough so you won't get the explosion you need. It takes a MINIMUM of two bombers to actually gain enough height that it can save you. Generally you'll end up in these situations if you accidentally fair or nair into the ledge when you're trying to land onstage or grab the ledge, or if you get shine-spiked (or whatever) and wind up with your float far below the stage. Peach is very vulnerable while wall-bombing and a good player will be able to hit you out of it and kill you, but there are situations in which you might as well try it because it's your only hope of recovery anyway.

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
The timing and spacing are very specific and you have to be sure you're smashing the control stick each time you do it (except the first time) because it sends you slightly further than an ordinary, non-smashed peach bomber, which falls short of the wall (on every tournament-legal stage) and leaves you to plummet to your probable death. The tricky part is just getting the timing right, but once you've found the right rhythm (I find that listening as well as watching helps) it's simple. Also, you won't get an explosion if you're TOO close to the wall, so make sure before you do your first bomber that there's at least a little bit of space between you and the wall. Personally, I find it's easiest to practice on a wall in the "Break the Targets" stage so that you don't die every time you **** up.

Its utility is limited but it CAN save you on certain stages. Yoshi's Story is the only tournament-legal stage where you can bomb yourself all the way up from the very bottom because there's a perfectly vertical, uninterrupted wall. There is a small area on FD (and also an even smaller one on FoD, I believe) offstage where you're too low to reach the ledge with your parasol but not too low to boost yourself up with a wallbomb. If you're below these areas, you won't be able to start wallbombing because the walls aren't vertical enough so you won't get the explosion you need. It takes a MINIMUM of two bombers to actually gain enough height that it can save you. Generally you'll end up in these situations if you accidentally fair or nair into the ledge when you're trying to land onstage or grab the ledge, or if you get shine-spiked (or whatever) and wind up with your float far below the stage. Peach is very vulnerable while wall-bombing and a good player will be able to hit you out of it and kill you, but there are situations in which you might as well try it because it's your only hope of recovery anyway.
Awesome, thanks for the thorough and speedy reply Composeur! Good advice with the Btt stage as well haha.

Composeur

Smash Ace
No problem, Cave Dweller :)

That clip is the only time I've ever seen wallbombing used effectively on FoD, actually. AR barely made it! What a stud.

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
Truth, Armada can use just about anything effectively haha. I've even seen him gimp with Toad before, really wish I remembered the match...

Top Bottom