• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall of Pain question

T-Rex

Smash Apprentice
Recently, I have been playing Jigglypuff as my Main, but it seems to me as well as I can edgeguard, I can not Wall of Pain certain character effiecently. When I say that I can Wall of Pain most, but I have alot of trouble with FF'ers, Space Animals, and others I notice I cannot do it well, like Marth. From what I notice is that for some reason I cannot do consecutive Bairs, I always Jump->Bair, and instead of Jump->Bair->Jump->Bair, I always miss the second jump and end up falling too far and letting them recover, and It has become quite a problem.
When I watch videos by Jigglys like King, they do it Flawless, either gaining height or staying perfectly straight till' it is impossible to recover.
Do you guys have any tips on how to execute this correctly, I try it both ways, Y to C-stick Bairs or Y to A+Direction Bairs, but no matter which one it fails. Is there something I am missing, L-canceling the stuff in Mid-air? Waiting longer than I feel I need to (when I do this I seem to fall to much and miss it?
So if you have any tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
T-Rex

Gelton

Smash Apprentice
I WoP by rolling my finger from X to A (not that this is the best way) and usually out of a shield. Once I'm out of my shield I gotta shffl like a madman, though. The trick (i think) is to attack as fast as possible when you get off the ground. ALWAYS bair/fair as youre coming up and dont forget to L cancel if needed. If you arent jumping back for the second attack very quickly then you messed up your L cancel. This is only for grounded WoP. The problem i had most was the timing between jump and attack. I'm not a fantastic Jiggs, but I can WoP like nobodys business this way.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For the edgeguard WoP. The most important thing to remember is you need to stay in front of them. So you may need to DI back or ff a bit to keep the proper jiggly spacing. You just need practice to learn the timing of when you can re-attack after your first aerial.

For fox and falco you don't even need to WoP. If they are under the stage just stay in front of them, wait for the firefox then fair/bair and repeat, then jump/rising pound back to the stage. If they try to phantasm nair to knock them under, then repeatedly knock them out of the firefox until they can't make it back or your low on jumps.

T-Rex

Smash Apprentice
I guess its more of situational thing I can do perfect WoPs when im playing around by myself, but once the time comes where I'm against an opponent it doesn't go as planned, I guess I need to work on my nerves as well as L-Canceling. I appreciate the replys

Restcancel

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem as the OP. I can't kick fast enough to continuously hit them and I always end up falling and having to restart at the edge. Every once in a while I get it right but then I forget what exactly I did. What is the technique? Just timing the button presses correctly?

CDorrian

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem as the OP. I can't kick fast enough to continuously hit them and I always end up falling and having to restart at the edge. Every once in a while I get it right but then I forget what exactly I did. What is the technique? Just timing the button presses correctly?
You gotta DI towards them, If I remember my Jigglypuff 10 correctly

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
A lot of it relies on percentage I think. You can't always pull off a 4 hit aerial-only combo on someone. They gotta be at a certain range of percentage and you gotta account for their DI and how fast they can recover from your attack.

rysaN

Smash Cadet
A lot of it relies on percentage I think. You can't always pull off a 4 hit aerial-only combo on someone. They gotta be at a certain range of percentage and you gotta account for their DI and how fast they can recover from your attack.
can someone elaborate on this range of percentage? i'm having trouble as well on the edgeguard wop, not so much on the grounded wop. i always end up hitting only 1 or 2 hits out of the 4 hit aerial-only combo that i intend to do.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
The thing about the WoP is that you don't need to get 4 or 5 bairs in a row to make it effective. That hardly ever happens anyway, but is completely awesome every time it does. Usually I only get one or two in before I see that the opponent is too far away to land another before they can do anything. When that happens I jump to the edge, which gives me my jump back and makes them aim for the stage for the recovery. Then I just try and knock them out of their recovery when they start coming back. If you get too greedy you'll get hit by an attack or miss an attack and start falling and end up having to waste time recovering yourself, which will also allow them to edgeguard.

rysaN

Smash Cadet
The thing about the WoP is that you don't need to get 4 or 5 bairs in a row to make it effective. That hardly ever happens anyway, but is completely awesome every time it does. Usually I only get one or two in before I see that the opponent is too far away to land another before they can do anything. When that happens I jump to the edge, which gives me my jump back and makes them aim for the stage for the recovery. Then I just try and knock them out of their recovery when they start coming back. If you get too greedy you'll get hit by an attack or miss an attack and start falling and end up having to waste time recovering yourself, which will also allow them to edgeguard.
that's all true for me. i end up hitting them off the stage with one or two hits, but normally this happens when the opponent hits a higher percent, around 90ish. i'm not very skilled in rest combos, other then upthrow+rest against ffers, so i try wop's with 3+ hits a lot, and it never happens. it usually ends up with what you said, about hitting them off the stage and jumping back to the edge. it works though, so i'm not complaining too much =P

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
well actually- jiggs is most dangerous when opponent is at 0%. 3 bairs or fairs should do the trick under 30%. Just make sure u know where u are height-wise. It'll get easier with time, just knowing her timing and speed. soon u will have a flawless edgeguard.

gotpho4me

Smash Rookie
Where should I connect my bair with the enemy in order to make them "pop" up? At the bottom, center, or top of their body? Or does the spacing between you and the opponent factor into this as well? I'm wondering because most of the time I lose height while doing WoP off the stage...you're supposed to maintain, or even gain it I believe.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For the most part if your going for the WoP you want to bair up and into them. So you should be hitting them knee high-ish. Anything above the belt usually sends them too low and you either have to not jump to hit them again or hope they double jump into your next jump.

You have to remember this is heavily dependent on DI. If they DI up and in or no DI this will work like a charm. If they DI down or down and away you probably will have to fall to hit them again. If they DI away you can just stay in front of them and look for options, if they DI away off the stage just stay in front of them as they have to try to come back sometime.

Top Bottom