• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Jump not working

Commander

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I try to wall jump out of quick draw it just decides to not work at all. I will get to the wall but Ike just won't jump. It seems to happen when I get to the wall as the quick draw is about to end so I end up at the wall for a second and then I just fall. Sometimes it even happens when I'm still in the middle of quick draw and thus spend a lot of time at the wall but I can't jump for whatever reason. I know that it is only 2 jumps before having to land again so I doubt it has anything to do with that. Does anyone have any idea about why this may be happening?

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
When I was messing around with QD, I noticed that you have to be touching the wall for a brief period before the wall jump is enabled (meaning its pretty much impossibru to wall jump after a full distanced QD). Other than that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to do it.

Commander

Smash Ace
When I was messing around with QD, I noticed that you have to be touching the wall for a brief period before the wall jump is enabled (meaning its pretty much impossibru to wall jump after a full distanced QD). Other than that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to do it.
Most of my wall jumps occur the very instance I touch the wall so that can't be true.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I can't really word it too well but I can't seem to get QD ever when its fully distanced. Didn't mean that you aren't doing it right away or anything like that. From a programmers perspective, it seems like Ike's model has to intersect a wall before you input the wall jump... or so it seems to me anyway >.>

@ metroid1117 metroid1117 Can you confirm that or am I just crazy?

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I can't really word it too well but I can't seem to get QD ever when its fully distanced. Didn't mean that you aren't doing it right away or anything like that. From a programmers perspective, it seems like Ike's model has to intersect a wall before you input the wall jump... or so it seems to me anyway >.>

@ metroid1117 metroid1117 Can you confirm that or am I just crazy?
Even if Ike was intersecting he wall it will still just randomly not work. Ike will just sit there going through the full animation and then fall even though I was mashing the stick to jump.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Even if Ike was intersecting he wall it will still just randomly not work. Ike will just sit there going through the full animation and then fall even though I was mashing the stick to jump.
Doesn't it just depend on the amount of momentum you have as your hit the wall? It'll never work if quick draw is just ending.

Commander

Smash Ace
Doesn't it just depend on the amount of momentum you have as your hit the wall? It'll never work if quick draw is just ending.
It stops working when I hit the wall during the middle of Quick Draw.

metroid1117

Smash Master
What surface are you trying to wall jump off of? To be honest, I'm not really sure about the specifics for wall-jumping are; I generally try to wait until Ike touches the wall before wall-jumping and haven't had any issues before.

Commander

Smash Ace
What surface are you trying to wall jump off of? To be honest, I'm not really sure about the specifics for wall-jumping are; I generally try to wait until Ike touches the wall before wall-jumping and haven't had any issues before.
It has happened at least once on each stage with a wall. I think it happens most often on FoD. Maybe I'm just trying too early or something on the times when it doesn't work but it sure does suck when I lose a stock when I should have been able to recover.

Commander

Smash Ace
If you're touching it as the QD ends then you can't immediately wall jump. Something to do with something that someone posted about above.
What about when I'm in the middle of quickdraw and I just sit there touching the wall for a long time and then die for no reason?

Emland

Smash Rookie
You may be doing this in anticipation of the wall jumps. When I was practicing wall-jumps a while back I sometimes had this problem but I identified it and visually and consciously cue the wall-jump and I get it almost every time now. My recommendation is simply watch yourself so you don't time it like 1 frame early.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Just for some help though when I fail wall jumps it's usually because I do it too early.

Last edited:

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
As people have mentioned here this means you're imputing the away input too early but I think I can help. Instead of Quickly moving the stick away from the wall, move it slowly. I'm not 100% on this but I believe that will give you more inputs over a longer period of time instead using all the away inputs too quickly.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
As people have mentioned here this means you're imputing the away input too early but I think I can help. Instead of Quickly moving the stick away from the wall, move it slowly. I'm not 100% on this but I believe that will give you more inputs over a longer period of time instead using all the away inputs too quickly.
This is very interesting. I'll test it out.

maweager93

Smash Rookie
um this might not be your problem but i was struggling with quick draw cuz i tried using x and y to jump and well as reversing. now i just reverse and I'm a beast i return from the depths to do what ike does best and thats punish

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't believe there's any fail window for this so mashing can be good if you're absolutely unsure about making it work.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
From my experience mashing is harder if you don't move the stick back to neutral between presses it won't register a new "away" input

Top Bottom