• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Cling physics...?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm posting this here because these boards have a wall cling to work with, and the only information I have to work with is this vague thread--

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142700

I have a few questions that I'd like answered...

How long can you stay wall clinging before you start falling? How much does the time change for each subsequent wall cling?

It seems that you can't wall cling on certain parts of most walls, so...What spots on the walls on each competitive stage allow for a wall cling?

Why does my mid-air jump return sometimes when I wall cling on Shadow Moses? Could this be abused on other stages?

It appears that you can't normally wall cling -> wall cling jump -> wall cling, but you can wall cling again after you use an aerial. Is it only after certain animations that allow you to wall cling again?

It seems like it would be a viable tactic on certain stages, like Yoshi's Island, Pictochat, and Castle Siege. I'd like for the data to be gathered so we can make potential strategies out of it.

Judo777

Smash Master
I'm posting this here because these boards have a wall cling to work with, and the only information I have to work with is this vague thread--

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142700

I have a few questions that I'd like answered...

How long can you stay wall clinging before you start falling? How much does the time change for each subsequent wall cling?

It seems that you can't wall cling on certain parts of most walls, so...What spots on the walls on each competitive stage allow for a wall cling?

Why does my mid-air jump return sometimes when I wall cling on Shadow Moses? Could this be abused on other stages?

It appears that you can't normally wall cling -> wall cling jump -> wall cling, but you can wall cling again after you use an aerial. Is it only after certain animations that allow you to wall cling again?

It seems like it would be a viable tactic on certain stages, like Yoshi's Island, Pictochat, and Castle Siege. I'd like for the data to be gathered so we can make potential strategies out of it.
I can answer a few of these. How long? idk. The olny place i know for sure you can't is the top portion of YI near the ledge for some reason.

As for the jump mystery. Sheik (i will refer to her tho i imagine all others work the same) actually gets 2 different kinds of wall jumps. If you cling and hit the other way you get ur typical wall KICK i like to say, but if you cling and just hit up or jump you do a double jump off of the wall. However this DJ is not you actually getting it back but rather its just an option off of a wall like wall kicks. For some people (like sheik) the DJ is much higher where as lucario should probably always all kick. However if you use ur DJ then wall cling then let go you can't DJ because you don't get it back, you simply can do it off the wall.

As for being able to recling. It is simply a matter of how long you are off the wall for. You can't wall jump recling because you are trying to recling far too soon. However there is a trcik i figured out long ago which allows (to any reasonable extent) to scale any straight wall in the game. First you simply wall cling, then wall JUMP and at the top of ur jump (either hit left or hit jump again) to do your wall KICK. This will use up enough time since her last cling to allow her to recling at about the same height she wall KICKed. Then you can once again wall JUMP rinse and repeat. This however does have a limit as over time sheik starts not getting any distance off of the wall KICK and falling too far. This however i think requires like 8 or 9 wall KICKS meanwhile her wall JUMP never decreases in size because it is simply her DJ off the wall. However sheiks DJ is more than high enough to scale any wall in about 7 jumps or so (plus you get extra height from the early wall kicks.)

For clarification wall kicks over time get lower and lower to prevent infinite wall kick garbage. So you can keep doing the trick until ur wall kick gets so low that its costing you the distance ur DJ is making up.

You induce the wall cling by holding towards the wall as shiek. You can double jump while still clinging. When you wall cling you can double jump, but only from the wall cling. This allows for stalling on the wall as shiek. However, each subsequent wall cling without touching the ground results in a shorter and shorter time span before it becomes so short you can no longer double jump from a wall cling.

I used this method on shadow moses with shiek: wall cling -> double jump -> repeat

Anyway, first wall cling time from time of attachement to frame of release was 183.
The 2nd wall cling from the aforementioned cycle was 183.
The 3rd wall cling was 94 frames.
4th was 49 frames
5th was 25 frames
6th was 14 frames
7th was 8 frames

Also, you cannot double jump from a wall cling until frame 6 of the wall cling animation. Anytime before that will result in a wall jump for shiek. So that means you cannot buffer double jumps from a wall cling.

Another thing, even if you wall jump from the 3rd wall cling or the 7th wall cling in the cycle, the wall jump is not affected. Wall jump height is only affected when you wall jump more and more. So that means there are seperate counters for subsequent wall jumps and wall clings.

*Note: Since this was done with frame advancement, the numbers might slightly off, but I am fairly confident on the lower number tests. The jist of the testing shows the first 2 wall jumps are the same time frame, however, each one after that lasts about half as long as the previous until it becomes so short you can no longer perform a wall cling -> double jump.

Top Bottom