• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

walking in the marth meta

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
i have been noticing that many (good) marth mains are underusing one of their greatest tools, walking.

i think that walking is essential in marth's gameplay and a primary form of movement for the folowing reasonings :

1-marth (and lucina) have the fastest walk in the game allowing them to travers the stage at a decent speed, fun fact marth can walk faster than falco, olimar, corrin, robin, peach and many more character can run, plus marth being the zoning/spacing character that he is doesn't really need the extra speed the dash provides.

2-walking allows you to do any option you want, primarily fsamsh ftilt and dtilt (utilt too), it also allows you to microspace since you can seamlessly turn around or change speed.

3-walking is not often used in a competitive environment which is why it can catch the opponent offguard if he doesn't have much experience with the different play style.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
i have been noticing that many (good) marth mains are underusing one of their greatest tools, walking.

i think that walking is essential in marth's gameplay and a primary form of movement for the folowing reasonings :

1-marth (and lucina) have the fastest walk in the game allowing them to travers the stage at a decent speed, fun fact marth can walk faster than falco, olimar, corrin, robin, peach and many more character can run, plus marth being the zoning/spacing character that he is doesn't really need the extra speed the dash provides.

2-walking allows you to do any option you want, primarily fsamsh ftilt and dtilt (utilt too), it also allows you to microspace since you can seamlessly turn around or change speed.

3-walking is not often used in a competitive environment which is why it can catch the opponent offguard if he doesn't have much experience with the different play style.
In the video analysis page, the most recent uploads were several videos of a marth from Japan.

In the marth ditto on that list, he tried to use walking as a primary movement option.

His results were similar to mine when I tried this. Not good.

The major weaknesses are that it leaves you a sitting duck to approaches and makes the opponents job of reading your movement and reactions relatively simple.

It also limits marth to a reactory defensive style instead of an offensive predictive style. As beefy smash doods recently taught us, success can not be found without using predictive offense.

I'm sure there's more to it. I agree walking has those advantages and more, but it's best used sparingly and strategically as a bait and switch, imo. Once you use it long, it will be exploited against you.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
In the video analysis page, the most recent uploads were several videos of a marth from Japan.
In the marth ditto on that list, he tried to use walking as a primary movement option.
His results were similar to mine when I tried this. Not good.
the problem is that you shouldn't deliberately try to walk in you gameplay it should come in naturally or else the opponent will realize and it would get predictable. you should use both dashing and walking as you continiously switch from a reactory defensive style (disadvatage state, neutral) to a predictive offensive style (advantage, neutral) according to the situation.

personally ive been recently walking 55% and dashing 45% of the time, and it's improving my play over my previous 85% dashing 15% walking.

(but then again i play roy more).

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I love to walk agaisnt pressure characters like Fox and Sheik. It's a good defensive spacing option.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Marth may have the fastest walk speed in the game tied with Lucina but the acceleration is actually rather slow, so actually utilizing the walk's top speed isn't entirely practical. It's better to use other movement tech such as perfect pivots which are faster and more efficient for micro spacing.

Other movement tech reliable for mix-ups includes dash dancing and it's extended counter-part.

If you're willing to put into the time, bidou gives you easy access to all of these and more.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Marth may have the fastest walk speed in the game tied with Lucina but the acceleration is actually rather slow, so actually utilizing the walk's top speed isn't entirely practical. It's better to use other movement tech such as perfect pivots which are faster and more efficient for micro spacing.

Other movement tech reliable for mix-ups includes dash dancing and it's extended counter-part.

If you're willing to put into the time, bidou gives you easy access to all of these and more.
Also, just doing an empty hop into walk can reeeally help with acceleration also, and that is easy to forget about.

Top Bottom