• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Walk For Your Lives

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Link to original post: [drupal=1349]Walk For Your Lives[/drupal]

I've never really been a "nature" person.

I've never really been an "exercise" person, either.

I suppose this probably contributed to me being a gamer and all. I mean, when I was younger I spent a good amount of time outside, pretty much about every day I was probably outside. But of course, that's been reduced to mostly just time outside so that I can go somewhere. There's nothing to play outside anymore, and I don't jog or anything.

But recently, as you'll likely know if you've read a few of my other blogs, I've been pretty stressed about things. One day last week, I felt really stressed and I just looked out of my window on a whim. I saw the sun just shining on the grass, and something just felt so...perfect about it. Then I thought to myself how much I wanted to just sit outside instead of being stuck with things to do.

Three days ago, on Friday, I was able to do just that. For the first time in months, it was really nice in my area, so I sat outside for a few hours, and it felt really relaxing.

The next day, I had free time so I, of course, wanted to play some video games or do some other enjoyable activity. But I started playing Pokemon Platinum, and all of a sudden demotivation struck. I had everything in the world that I wanted to do, or wanted and needed to do (i.e. something enjoyable that I really want to get done), yet...none of it appealed to me anymore. If it's never happened to you, I can vouch that it's an awful feeling. I didn't know what to do; I put Platinum down and went through any number of things I could do. The thought of maybe getting some fresh air occurred...but instead of just sitting outside, I wanted to do something so I grabbed my iPod and took a walk to clear my head. I just walked, I enjoyed it. I took in the sights, the smells, and the beat and lyrics of the music. When I got back, I felt revitalized and was pumped to go back to Platinum.

Today, since I had extra time and recalled how amazing it had been to take a walk the other day, I walked for a while again. As I was walking I thought, and I realized why it was so great; it was the fact that I could take in the simple things; I could look at trees, grass, the sky, the clouds, houses, rocks...I could listen to the things that really soothe me...I could just...BE. I hate not doing things, but this was doing something. Even though my thoughts turned to the fact that I wasn't thinking about the things that stress me out, my mind never actually wandered there. It didn't wander to "I can't wait to get back to do *insert thing here*". I could take my mind off of EVERYTHING, and relax.

I actually got the title from the title of one episode of the TV show Invader Zim; it's a play on the phrase "Run for your lives", because there's a slowed-down explosion so people start running and realize that they don't need to run because it's going slow enough for them to stroll to stay away from it.

But I mean this with all sincerity. I'm not really trying to impart wisdom or even give advice, as I know everyone's different and I'm sure at least a few of you already do this on a regular basis. But for me, I am walking for my life. It's amazing to be able to take my mind off of things for once and just exist, without a care in the world -- even though there may be a problem lying in wait that I'm perfectly well aware of. It makes me be able to live, rather than just survive. I don't really understand why it has this effect on me, but I don't want to know that badly; I'm so pleased that it does.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow, that was a great read! If I didn't live in the middle of the bloody desert I would take a stroll and give that a shot for myself.

And yeah, I know that feeling, that feeling that nothing you own interests you anymore. It really made me reconsider I what I call "entertaining."

And I remember that Zim episode.

D

Deleted member

I go outside frequently, and get up to much tomfoolery with my acquaintances. Believe me, going outside is such a great way to relieve stress and lose weight.

Oh, and I get that whole "nothing interests me" thing quite often.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
An enjoyable read.

A nice stroll, man people should appreciate the simpler forms of leisure and relaxation. It really can be that simple, and nothing quite matches it.

Top Bottom