• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

{Waba Games} Atlanta Area SSBM SINGLES Cash Tourney!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
2 things.

#1 - how bout some stage selection rules and a stage list.
--edit--

I see it says "tournament courses only". That's actually not descriptive enough. >.<

#2 - a buy-in? .... why? Not only is it gay cause you give people 3 chances at a pot for money; but if you're one of the people in the quarter finals; you go up against somebody who just bought back in, and you lose; guess what? You just got gimped because the way you have it, you cant buy back in.

--double edit--

I just read the site

Our Gaming Club features big screen HD TV's,

posted that for chaddd, gerbil, and anybody else who cares about that.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
waba is a cool place, i've been there before, but playing on HDTV = low tier for fighting games, and a lot of people, for some reason don't seem to understand this. It's cool for games with zero fast twitch requirements, like Halo and other 1st person shooters. But when playing heavily frame and timing dependent games like SSBM or any other fighting game, they suck. I dunno why I typed all of that, just wanted to get it through peoples' skulls.

Tehdave

Smash Journeyman
There are dozens and dozens of different T.V's.
If you don't feel comfortable playing your match there,
then that is quite fine.
You can ask personally not to. :p

Tehdave

Smash Journeyman
2 things.

#1 - how bout some stage selection rules and a stage list.
--edit--

I see it says "tournament courses only". That's actually not descriptive enough. >.<

#2 - a buy-in? .... why? Not only is it gay cause you give people 3 chances at a pot for money; but if you're one of the people in the quarter finals; you go up against somebody who just bought back in, and you lose; guess what? You just got gimped because the way you have it, you cant buy back in.

--double edit--

I just read the site

Our Gaming Club features big screen HD TV's,

posted that for chaddd, gerbil, and anybody else who cares about that.

Allow me to emphasize a few things.
You do not HAVE to play on the HD T.V's if you do not feel comfortable.
And NO, you do NOT get three BUY-IN'S.
You get ONE buy in.
You can ONLY do it directly after you have lost.
This increases the pot size, and is the SAME thing
as DOUBLE elimination. It just helps the pot.
Especially since there will be many people, there shall be a larger
rewards for first second and third. Thank you for the questions/concerns.
Helped to emphasize a few things.

Tehdave

Smash Journeyman
waba is a cool place, i've been there before, but playing on HDTV = low tier for fighting games, and a lot of people, for some reason don't seem to understand this. It's cool for games with zero fast twitch requirements, like Halo and other 1st person shooters. But when playing heavily frame and timing dependent games like SSBM or any other fighting game, they suck. I dunno why I typed all of that, just wanted to get it through peoples' skulls.
As said to somebody else, do not worry.
You can play on other T.V's as well.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Thanks for pointing it out Dogy.

I too, suggest you find other TVs to use in place of the HD ones, though I do see you say we don't have to use them. However, "we" being the general smash community, will most likely avoid them, causing a possible big time delay. Also, if this thing got large enough by our participation, I can see a massive bracket going down and lots of gimp measures, those which Dogy has explained.

And if we lost at quarter finals, and bought back in, where would that leave us? I think 15$ per person, double elim is good enough, because in actualitiy, thats what most of the GA tournaments do, and the singles payout is always a couple hundred to first place, and this also gives us the oppotunity to run through loser's without having to fork over any extra cash. Or heck, you could just increase the entry to 20$ if you want to make the pot larger, but I suggest leaving it at 15$, especially if it's only bracket play.

I do see you give us a hell of a lot of hours for friendlies though, so that is a plus.

But another question. Why so late in the evening? If it becomes as large as you're expecting, people won't be leaving the venue until midnightish. Is it possible to start it earlier in the day since it is only a bracket play for singles? This way some of us who live uber far (Im looking at you Savannah) could possibly make this.

Tehdave

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for pointing it out Dogy.

I too, suggest you find other TVs to use in place of the HD ones, though I do see you say we don't have to use them. However, "we" being the general smash community, will most likely avoid them, causing a possible big time delay. Also, if this thing got large enough by our participation, I can see a massive bracket going down and lots of gimp measures, those which Dogy has explained.

And if we lost at quarter finals, and bought back in, where would that leave us? I think 15$ per person, double elim is good enough, because in actualitiy, thats what most of the GA tournaments do, and the singles payout is always a couple hundred to first place, and this also gives us the oppotunity to run through loser's without having to fork over any extra cash. Or heck, you could just increase the entry to 20$ if you want to make the pot larger, but I suggest leaving it at 15$, especially if it's only bracket play.

I do see you give us a hell of a lot of hours for friendlies though, so that is a plus.

But another question. Why so late in the evening? If it becomes as large as you're expecting, people won't be leaving the venue until midnightish. Is it possible to start it earlier in the day since it is only a bracket play for singles? This way some of us who live uber far (Im looking at you Savannah) could possibly make this.

There will probably not be a big time delay for the T.V issue because of the venue,
but I will certainly investigate the matter.

The buy-in seems to be a rather large and confusing issue, so to make things a lot easier, I will run by the owner of Waba that most everyone would prefer double elimination to virtually eliminate any confusion and mis-balance.

The tournament cost will most definitely 100% stay $15, do not worry.

And the time, you certainly have a point.
All of these things were planned with much flexibility in accordance for what the smash community in the area.
Everything will be adjusted once I speak to the owner of Waba.

Thank you Gerbil for the added input.

Please stop by and check for updates.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Allow me to emphasize a few things.
You do not HAVE to play on the HD T.V's if you do not feel comfortable.
And NO, you do NOT get three BUY-IN'S.
I understand that.

What i'm implying is that, say I go and i lose the match before the quarter finals (which puts me in the losers bracket), and then the quarter finals (which is still "before" the semis), according to this buy-in thing; i could just buy my way into the semis. Say I win the losers semis. I just put a guy out who theoretically lost twice and is done. Where as I lost twice but i'm still going cause i paid back in.

That seems pretty jacked up.

___

As for the TV thing, i've personally never had a big problem with it, cause i dont really notice the tv; the reason why i'm pointing it out is because of the recent MGC tournaments and it seemed that everybody across the board complained about tvs.

But as long as there are non-HDtvs, there really isnt a problem. >.<

Gerbil

Smash Champion
7 p.m.= it will be dark outside which means Alpha gets a field power bonus.
COUNT ME IN!
You, my dark friend, are too funny lol.

@Dogy: He already said he'll talk to the manager about doing a straight up double elim with no buy-in. Noob. ^.^

@Tehdave: Might I suggest, you also copy and paste the stage selection rules from a popular GA series such as Smash or Die, Get 4 Stocked, or any of GAWes' tournies. Actually, hold on, I'll edit my post with a couple of links to the tournies, and you can check out their rule sets, which everyone wholeheartedly agrees with (Unless you're Chaddd, who hates G4S because of our MKII ban... <3 Chaddd :D)

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Double Post because SWF isn't letting me edit.

@Tehdave: Instead of posting the links, I just copied and pasted GAWes' Smash Aid format for stage/character picks, which is one of the more popular tournaments in the Atlantic South. Even if you don't quite understand the format given, the rest of us do, so it's all good if these rules will just be accepted to be used in the tournament ^.^ Might I also suggest mentioning having 2/3 for regular bracket matches, and 3/5 for Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Final's Finals.

Characters - - - Stages

-Each player may ban one of the random or slob stages before the set begins

- No stage can be played twice in one set. The only exception being non-banned, non user banned random stages in a best of 5 set (this is only if the stage was first chosen by either the other player, or randomly, no picking the same stage twice by one player)

1st match - Any characters can be chosen, if any descrepancies arouse, double-blind character selection will be used

2nd match - Loser of First match must choose whether to choose to pick the stage the second match will be played on and pick character first, or force the winner of the first match to select character first and choose random or agreement on an allowed level.

3rd match ^Same Rules as second match

Slobs on Stages - - - If selected as method of slob

1st match - Must be random stage unless both persons agree to a stage that IS NOT BANNED

2nd match - After characters are selected, loser of 1st match selects a stage from either the random stage list or the slob/allowed stage list... IN NO CASE CAN A BANNED STAGE BE PLAYED

3rd match - same rules apply as in second match

*Levels*

Stages set as random :
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokemon Stadium
- Battlefield
- Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Island)
--Kirby's Dreamland 64

Slob Stages / Available for Agreement :
-Final Destination
-Fountain of Dreams
-Battle Field
-Kirby's Dreamland 64
-Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Island)
-Pokémon Stadium
-Peach's Castle
-Corneria
-Mute City
-Rainbow Cruise
-Green Greens
-Mushroom Kingdom II
- Mute City
-Pokefloats
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Brinstar
-Jungle Japes

*Banned Stages
-Icicle Mountain
-Great Bay
-Flat Zone
-Hyrule
-Mushroom Kingdom I
-Brinstar Depths
-Fourside
-Big Blue
-Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
-Onett
-Yoshi 64
-Kongo Jungle
-Venom

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At the least, if there's going to be a buy-in, it should go all the way, as to not cheat those that are good enough to make it to the semifinals without buying back in. The others that lost had an advantage that becomes gone. That doesn't seem fair to me.

Either way, I like double elimination without a buy-in at all.

Tehdave

Smash Journeyman
EXCELLENT.
With much talking to the owner, and with your help that I am extremely grateful for, Gerbil, there have been many changes, including stages, rules, getting rid of the buy-in for double elimination, the addition of Team Battle AND time changed to 3:00 PM in the afternoon. Please refrain from posting in this thread, and add any comments/suggestions/questions on the other thread.

Many thanks!

Top Bottom