• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs Zelda offstage in 2v2 friendlies?

roces9

Smash Rookie
I play 2v2 friendles every week with three friends. My partner kinda sucks so I have to pick up a lot of the slack which is giving us problems right now.

One of our opponents loves to play Zelda and I'm having difficulty getting back to the stage against against him.

It seems that every time I'm off the edge the Zelda spams the fireball projectile or closes in to kill me with a sweetspot fair. I can usually airdoge the fair attempts but have trouble not eating the fireball spam because of DKs size and and weight- if I airdoge too low in the air I'll often fall bellow the ledge really quickly and die.

Thoughts?

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
if he times em to get you at the ledge forcing you to air dodge ultimately missing the ledge, can't you just eat the fireball and di towards the stage? if he uses this opportunity to LK you, what about throwing out a dair to cover yourself while you're making your way back to the stage?

all this is going to sound weird, if we aren't on the same level of understanding here. What situation you gave was (you're making your way back to the stage and approaching the ledge you're forced to airdodge so that you miss the ledge?

Te-Jay

Smash Apprentice
Corner Brook/St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
i play a zelda alot that sounds like that. Heres what i do:

If you are high up, just air dodge the fireball, always constantly moving toward the stage, too low, take the hit to send you up. You need to realize at what height is safe to dodge at. But if you are very far off screen, and not too high up at all, take the first fireball, DIing toward the stage, setting yourself up for a better recovery. If he always sweetspot f/bairs you, PREDICT THIS!. use side b to slow you down and throw him off, fast fall into an up b if you have to. If zelda misses, theres a nice bit of end lag to it, so that should allow you to get back safely, punish if you are fast enough. What you could also do is head back toward with a f air and try to intercept the sweetspot.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
side b away from the stage so that your back is facing the stage. if he comes out for a LK, bair him. i think its faster.

roces9

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still a scrub and I had never thought of side-B to reverse my direction in the air or eating the fireball and just DIing. Sounds like this stuff should help us out next week.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Yes, you have to be able to tell when to eat the fireball and when to avoid. I've taken a DF to the face, and eaten a LK because of it.

Zelda has a really gay gimping games because of her smashes, LK, and projectiles. It's really about mindgaming the Zelda and baiting a certain attack so that you can use that opp to get back on stage. Try to predict whether he'll LK you or DF you...and react accordingly.

My friend likes to stand on the edge and spam F/Upsmash depending on how I come back. In Brawl+ this works wonders, but its easier to dodge in regular Brawl because of the autosweetspotting the ledge...

Top Bottom