• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS. Yoshi

Matchup odds for Bowser Jr. against Yoshi?

• 50/50 even.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 55/45, in Jr's favor.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 60/40, in Jr's favor.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Hey guys! Another matchup thread, featuring one of Bowser Jr's (well... the Koopalings') oldest enemies...
Yoshi.

Yea... don't mess with this guy.

Yoshi's ground game isn't bad. His tilts are average I guess. I don't see many Yoshi's using his tilts often. Oftentimes they approach from the air instead. His smashes are pretty good, with Fsmash having good range and power, Usmash looking like Fox's Usmash, and Dsmash being a good punisher Out Of Shield. And dash attack has great range so it gets Yoshi around quickly.
Yoshi's double jump has super armor, and still applies when he tries double jump cancelled aerials, meaning his nair can stop combos if still has it.
Yoshi's air game is awesome. Dair is a huge threat and can rack up a lot of damage if you aren't expecting it due to SDI's weakened effectiveness. Fair is a meteor smash that can gimp if you aren't careful. His other aerials, like Bair and Uair, are great for juggling heavies like Jr.
His eggs, when spaced properly, provide more pressure than our mechakoopa, especially if he jumps before launching them. His other specials aren't that useful. I think our ftilt can knock him out of his nearly useless Side B. His ground pound likely punches through our Usmash, but I need to test that. And Yoshi's swallow attack (neutral b) is situational but can setup for other attacks like Dair...
Yoshi's shield is pretty good, as I don't think we can poke through it... and it's better than previous games, too, being much easier to act OOS. I've seen him punish my attacks on shield with jab, tilts, and especially Dsmash.
His grab is just as slow as ours, but it also has much better range. T_T
His recovery is also surprisingly not bad because of his double jump armor. And the egg toss can give him a bit of extra upwards momentum to stall his falling and avoid some edgeguards and reach the ledge in relative safety (since the egg can cover him)

And what do we have?
Our Fair and Bair are still able to punch through Yoshi's aerials but watch out for his armor. Uair is great for juggling him, but watch out for ground pound and Dair.
Mechakoopa prevents Yoshi from dominating the ground. But it also isn't the most effective. Cannonball is near useless.
He's heavy so we can combo him rather easily if you don't give him a chance to double jump out of it or double jump cancel Nair.
Kart Dash allows us to keep pressure on Yoshi and keep up with his mobility, as well as setup some excellent kill combos.
Our tilts are good for spacing, but Yoshi's Smashes are faster and more effective.

I'd say Yoshi honestly has the advantage in this match up, because his OOS options are fast, powerful, and we can't really shield poke with tilts or aerials. Both characters can combo each other with Uairs but Yoshi has more options to escape our juggles. Jr's offstage game is better, but Yoshi has eggs, which allow for safer pressure options.
However, it's not that hard for Jr. to catch up and sneak in a kill once Yoshi's shield is pressured. :)

What do you guys think?

Edit: Ignore the poll. I cannot edit it and accidentally posted before I could add more poll responses in Yoshi's favour.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Bowser Jr has issues in general with:
-Approaching
-Hard-to-Gimp characters
-Heavy rushdown
-Dealing with aerial priority

Yoshi was basically built to beat bowser jr. It's not unwinnable but I'd probably say it's +2 for Yoshi. Playstyle factors in a lot though and luckily bjr has a stupendous punish game if you can make the reads. Over-aggression will get Yoshi killed in this matchup, but steady, well spaced pressure will beat bowser jr almost every time.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I have more struggle against yoshi than Sheiks and diddies combined and those 2 arent that big of a struggle!
however, yoshi isnt unwinnable!
as long as Jr is able to put pressure on Yoshi, its to Jr favor but Yoshi can quickly turn around the table if yoshi goes back to steady and defensive one. a defensive Yoshi that takes time to set up and zoning with eggs is sadly in yoshi favor!

my tip: try to make yoshi aggressive and make him stay there so you can get it to your favor

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Bowser Jr has issues in general with:
-Approaching
-Hard-to-Gimp characters
-Heavy rushdown
-Dealing with aerial priority

Yoshi was basically built to beat bowser jr. It's not unwinnable but I'd probably say it's +2 for Yoshi. Playstyle factors in a lot though and luckily bjr has a stupendous punish game if you can make the reads. Over-aggression will get Yoshi killed in this matchup, but steady, well spaced pressure will beat bowser jr almost every time.
Experienced this myself today.
Couldn't do a thing against a really good (and extremely patient) Yoshi when playing as Bowser Jr.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
It's not a fun matchup at all. I'd probably stick to the ground if possible and rely on ftilts and dtilts to rack up damage when you're not using the cart. Cart punishes close/medium range egg throws if you can get under the arc extremely well, just remember to keep your combos true or else you'll be eating a djc'd nair or worse for your troubles.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Another matchup thread, featuring one of Bowser Jr's (well... the Koopalings') oldest enemies...
Yoshi.
Yea... don't mess with this guy.

Yoshi's ground game isn't bad. His tilts are average I guess. I don't see many Yoshi's using his tilts often. Oftentimes they approach from the air instead. His smashes are pretty good, with Fsmash having good range and power, Usmash looking like Fox's Usmash, and Dsmash being a good punisher Out Of Shield. And dash attack has great range so it gets Yoshi around quickly.
Yoshi's double jump has super armor, and still applies when he tries double jump cancelled aerials, meaning his nair can stop combos if still has it.
Yoshi's air game is awesome. Dair is a huge threat and can rack up a lot of damage if you aren't expecting it due to SDI's weakened effectiveness. Fair is a meteor smash that can gimp if you aren't careful. His other aerials, like Bair and Uair, are great for juggling heavies like Jr.
His eggs, when spaced properly, provide more pressure than our mechakoopa, especially if he jumps before launching them. His other specials aren't that useful. I think our ftilt can knock him out of his nearly useless Side B. His ground pound likely punches through our Usmash, but I need to test that. And Yoshi's swallow attack (neutral b) is situational but can setup for other attacks like Dair...
Yoshi's shield is pretty good, as I don't think we can poke through it... and it's better than previous games, too, being much easier to act OOS. I've seen him punish my attacks on shield with jab, tilts, and especially Dsmash.
His grab is just as slow as ours, but it also has much better range. T_T
His recovery is also surprisingly not bad because of his double jump armor. And the egg toss can give him a bit of extra upwards momentum to stall his falling and avoid some edgeguards and reach the ledge in relative safety (since the egg can cover him)

And what do we have?
Our Fair and Bair are still able to punch through Yoshi's aerials but watch out for his armor. Uair is great for juggling him, but watch out for ground pound and Dair.
Mechakoopa prevents Yoshi from dominating the ground. But it also isn't the most effective. Cannonball is near useless.
He's heavy so we can combo him rather easily if you don't give him a chance to double jump out of it or double jump cancel Nair.
Kart Dash allows us to keep pressure on Yoshi and keep up with his mobility, as well as setup some excellent kill combos.
Our tilts are good for spacing, but Yoshi's Smashes are faster and more effective.

I'd say Yoshi honestly has the advantage in this match up, because his OOS options are fast, powerful, and we can't really shield poke with tilts or aerials. Both characters can combo each other with Uairs but Yoshi has more options to escape our juggles. Jr's offstage game is better, but Yoshi has eggs, which allow for safer pressure options.
However, it's not that hard for Jr. to catch up and sneak in a kill once Yoshi's shield is pressured. :)

What do you guys think?
Yoshi has the advantage in this matchup, +1 for sure, and probably +2 to an extent. Unfortunately I have not played too many Bowser Jrs, but I've played plenty of friendly matches with one of my friends who mains him and kirby.

Yoshi has effective OoS tools such as Nair, Usmash,or jab to swat away BJs offensive pressure. Coupled with heavy armor for his double jump, try not to get overzealous and attack unsafely as the heavy armor lets Yoshi retaliate quickly. Yoshi's eggs are annoying to get through, and yoshi has many ways to use it with egg toss sliding or SH egg toss to keep BJ at bay. Jabs and nairs with eggs make it difficult to get in range. Do not also forget about Yoshi's egg lay, its a command grab that ignores shield and gives yoshi room for a KO or more damage (upsmash/down b). A wavebounced or B-reversed egg lay gives yoshi a unique movement pattern, so stay mobile.

One of BJs main problems is killing, and I can live way into 150-200% range before getting KO'd. Mechakoopa is a great mobile projectile and sets up for BJs aerials. Koopa kart (especially the custom one) keeps up with yoshis mobility on the ground and can corner him to the ledge. BJ's Usmash/Uair can be an effective anti-air tool, as most yoshis usually opt to stay airborne. I agree that his canon is not as effective as yoshi's eggs, but with mechakoopa they both can trap yoshi into a bad position.

This matchup is tough for Bowser Jr especially because yoshi is just so mobile in air and on the ground. Use your projectiles to your advantage and try your best to avoid setups/approaches with Yoshi's egg toss pressure. Every % counts so try to kill yoshi early and get a healthy lead without putting yourself in a vulnerable position. Good luck!

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yoshi has the advantage in this matchup, +1 for sure, and probably +2 to an extent. Unfortunately I have not played too many Bowser Jrs, but I've played plenty of friendly matches with one of my friends who mains him and kirby.

Yoshi has effective OoS tools such as Nair, Usmash,or jab to swat away BJs offensive pressure. Coupled with heavy armor for his double jump, try not to get overzealous and attack unsafely as the heavy armor lets Yoshi retaliate quickly. Yoshi's eggs are annoying to get through, and yoshi has many ways to use it with egg toss sliding or SH egg toss to keep BJ at bay. Jabs and nairs with eggs make it difficult to get in range. Do not also forget about Yoshi's egg lay, its a command grab that ignores shield and gives yoshi room for a KO or more damage (upsmash/down b). A wavebounced or B-reversed egg lay gives yoshi a unique movement pattern, so stay mobile.

One of BJs main problems is killing, and I can live way into 150-200% range before getting KO'd. Mechakoopa is a great mobile projectile and sets up for BJs aerials. Koopa kart (especially the custom one) keeps up with yoshis mobility on the ground and can corner him to the ledge. BJ's Usmash/Uair can be an effective anti-air tool, as most yoshis usually opt to stay airborne. I agree that his canon is not as effective as yoshi's eggs, but with mechakoopa they both can trap yoshi into a bad position.

This matchup is tough for Bowser Jr especially because yoshi is just so mobile in air and on the ground. Use your projectiles to your advantage and try your best to avoid setups/approaches with Yoshi's egg toss pressure. Every % counts so try to kill yoshi early and get a healthy lead without putting yourself in a vulnerable position. Good luck!
Tbh if you're living to 200% that's just your friend being bad. Fresh ftilt alone will kill substantially earlier than that haha. The matchup isn't bad because bjr has issues killing fullstop as much as it is that bjrs easiest kill options don't tend to work vs yoshi. You've gotta play a little unorthodox.

Top Bottom