• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Yoshi - Matchup Discussion and Analysis

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
I believe that the best stage here would be battefield, is short enough to brevent being camped by freakin eggs, and the platforms not only helps marth's juggle game, it also makes hard for yoshi to land without lag since most of yoshis aerials have somewhat long animations. This is just my opinion so Im probably all wrong lol.

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
This is one of my favorites. Yoshi does very, very well against these two. Just by Egg Spamming you can keep Marcina out and mixup with egglay and nair. Yoshi doesn't have trouble landing because best air strafing in the game, and unless you get a hard read/catch poor DI you won't catch a good Yoshi. Marth is preferred in the MU because tipper luck.

The MU is 60:40, Yoshi Favor with No Customs. I don't know Marcinas Customs well enough to say with them.

As for stages, Marcina prefers Battlefield, Lylat, and Siege while Yoshi prefers Smashville, FD, or Duck Hunt.

I believe that the best stage here would be battefield, is short enough to prevent being camped by freakin eggs, and the platforms helps marth's juggle game. This is just my opinion so Im probably all wrong lol.
your right tho :]

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
I personally find this to be a 50:50 MU.

Most Yoshi usually approach with Fair, so just waiting in a crouch is usually the best option. Being able to shield the Fair and punish. Against egg spam, sitting in a crouch and shielding is generally the best option. If they're winning, it's best to walk and shield the eggs. Don't run, just walk. With good spacing, Marth's Fair and Nair shuts down most of Yoshi's options. Retreating Fair is good, as it's more safe on shield.
KEEP YOSHI IN THE AIR. Yoshi has trouble landing, and with Marth's excellent airgame you should be able to wrack up massive % on Yoshi before he is able to find a way down. Wait for airdodges and punish, if they don't airdodge, then just attack.
-For combos, they should generally be short. Yoshi's Nair will break through almost everything considering Marth is a character that depends on follow ups and not necessarily true combos.
-Shield is incredibly good in this MU. Due to Yoshi not having a kill throw or a guaranteed kill setup from any of his throws it's generally safe to shield. Watch out for his Yoshi Bomb, though.
-Off stage is where Marth shines against Yoshi. Being able to gimp Yoshi out of his double jump will almost guarantee that he won't be coming back. Bair is a better option than Fair, as it has more kb and damage when tippered, making it harder for Yoshi to come back.
-For Customs, I highly recommend at least Dashing Assault and Iai Counter. DA is extremely good. Being able to cut cleanly through Yoshi egg spam and being a good surprise move to get Yoshi offstage and set up gimps. Iai Counter is self explanatory, Yoshi wants the Fair spike off stage, you counter, he dies. GG. Crescent Slash is also a good option as it gives Marth much more follow ups and throw combos.
-A good stage against Yoshi is Battlefield, as it makes Yoshi have even more trouble landing due to platform pressure and enhances Marth's juggles. The special thing about Battlefield is that the side platforms will nullify any attempts Yoshi makes to try and use Yoshi Bomb to break your shield.

Tl;dr Shield is amazing, Spacing is your friend, Dashing Assault+Iai Counter, Battlefield

Sorry if this is trash, I'm bad at explaining things. xD

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Just fought and beat a decent Marth on Anthers. Yoshi can either keep Marth/Lucina at bay or force an approach with good egg use (so work on powershielding) and can also juggle with eggs and aerials (despite being vulnerable to juggling himself) but has fairly limited ground options, especially against disjointed characters. Marth does better than Lucina, because the tipper is a good punish mechanism if Yoshi reaches too far. Still, thanks chiefly to Yoshi's superior mobility and ability to neutralize most of Marth/Lucina's followups with double jump or nair, I'd say he's favored in both -- 55:45 against Marth, 60:40 against Lucina sounds right.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
???
imo, marth is one of yoshi's worst MUs. dunno what youre all going on about it being 50:50 or better in yoshi's favor.

yoshi's a really aerial character, and his air attacks don't have disjoints (except uair?), so it's pretty easy for someone like marth to swat yoshi around. a good marth should be keeping yoshi out and applying pressure, and there's not too much yoshi can do about it except hope that the marth gets reckless, which he shouldn't need to resort to. a well spaced fair, and yoshi's in a bad position - he needs to land, and marth's range is good at shutting down both attempts at being evasive, or attacking (e.g. fastfall dair). gimps are a big threat, too.

heck, marth can even swat away eggs. just throwing eggs shouldn't have much of an effect if the marth is patient.

maybe you guys are just facing online marths? marth needs precision to space, and wifi can mess with that. yoshi not so much.

Last edited:

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
???
imo, marth is one of yoshi's worst MUs. dunno what youre all going on about it being 50:50 or better in yoshi's favor.

yoshi's a really aerial character, and his air attacks don't have disjoints (except uair?), so it's pretty easy for someone like marth to swat yoshi around. a good marth should be keeping yoshi out and applying pressure, and there's not too much yoshi can do about it except hope that the marth gets reckless, which he shouldn't need to resort to. a well spaced fair, and yoshi's in a bad position - he needs to land, and marth's range is good at shutting down both attempts at being evasive, or attacking (e.g. fastfall dair). gimps are a big threat, too.

heck, marth can even swat away eggs. just throwing eggs shouldn't have much of an effect if the marth is patient.

maybe you guys are just facing online marths? marth needs precision to space, and wifi can mess with that. yoshi not so much.
Eh, not really, Marth can't swat away eggs because Yoshi can be mobile while throwing and Marth can't really trade with them. Disjoints are kinda overrated imo, people always get more scared of disjoints than they should, especially since Marcina's aerials have considerable lag. Yoshi is also safer in shield vs Marcina because their grabs are almost as bad as ours, and our aerials are basically safer, so we don't have to worry about superior enemy out of shield game. Wifi just makes eggs harder to deal with and a few whiffed punishes, nothing too bad.

This is one of my favorites. Yoshi does very, very well against these two. Just by Egg Spamming you can keep Marcina out and mixup with egglay and nair. Yoshi doesn't have trouble landing because best air strafing in the game, and unless you get a hard read/catch poor DI you won't catch a good Yoshi. Marth is preferred in the MU because tipper luck.

The MU is 60:40, Yoshi Favor with No Customs. I don't know Marcinas Customs well enough to say with them.

As for stages, Marcina prefers Battlefield, Lylat, and Siege while Yoshi prefers Smashville, FD, or Duck Hunt.

your right tho :]
Honestly I think one of Yoshi's worst stages is FD, Yoshi loves platforms, and FD obviously lacks them. Yoshi's gets Usmash through platforms, uptilt through some platforms, up air strings through platform pressure, and can use platforms to mix up landing/recovery. Yoshi often opts for battlefield, (although this is a preferable stage for Marcina to dreamland, we like low ceilings.) Smashville only because its Smashville, everyone goes to Smashville. Duck Hunt is honestly just where pesky Sonics take me when I forget to ban it, but I suppose Yoshi does fine there, and T&C oh how I love that stage, we get most of our kills earlier, up tilt up air on the high platforms are incredibly scary, and for good reason, by far our greatest neutral stage at least (Delphino/Halberd might be better due to jank/REALLY low ceiling and low platform).

You're probably right about the MU though, you should start off assuming Yoshi has a favorable MU vs characters with no projectile, who aren't fast enough to run through the eggs.

I personally find this to be a 50:50 MU.

Most Yoshi usually approach with Fair, so just waiting in a crouch is usually the best option. Being able to shield the Fair and punish. Against egg spam, sitting in a crouch and shielding is generally the best option. If they're winning, it's best to walk and shield the eggs. Don't run, just walk. With good spacing, Marth's Fair and Nair shuts down most of Yoshi's options. Retreating Fair is good, as it's more safe on shield.
KEEP YOSHI IN THE AIR. Yoshi has trouble landing, and with Marth's excellent airgame you should be able to wrack up massive % on Yoshi before he is able to find a way down. Wait for airdodges and punish, if they don't airdodge, then just attack.
-For combos, they should generally be short. Yoshi's Nair will break through almost everything considering Marth is a character that depends on follow ups and not necessarily true combos.
-Shield is incredibly good in this MU. Due to Yoshi not having a kill throw or a guaranteed kill setup from any of his throws it's generally safe to shield. Watch out for his Yoshi Bomb, though.

Tl;dr Shield is amazing, Spacing is your friend, Dashing Assault+Iai Counter, Battlefield

Sorry if this is trash, I'm bad at explaining things. xD
You're right about Yoshi's bad grab options difficulty landing, but honestly I see more aerial egg than fair as an approach, as fair is generally unsafe, even the occasional retreating fair.

Edit: Just heard Halberd was banned in some tournaments, so rip Yoshi jank.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
This is in Yoshi's favor, 45:55. Yoshi has very good air speed, a down b that is difficult to challenge, and can egg toss camp. He's also very hard to gimp due to the heavy armor, egg throws and the fact that horizontally he can stay away from the edge for a good while which forces Marcina in an unfavorable position if they try to challenge him offstage. The only thing that legitimately saves Marcina in this MU are platforms to stay safe in and make it harder for Yoshi to land along with well spaced moves with some mild aggression. Shield Breaker also works wonders if your opponent is one of those jab spammers. Though with a slight nerf to Yoshi's air speed or a nerf to the endlag of his egg throws, I'm sure this would be a much more fair character overall and be a 50:50 MU.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Though with a slight nerf to Yoshi's air speed or a nerf to the endlag of his egg throws, I'm sure this would be a much more fair character overall and be a 50:50 MU.
Oh, I'm sorry Yoshi is "unfair" because he has a positive MU vs a low tier character, and that he has redeeming qualities for a near useless grab.

On another note after playing a good Marth I can say that he can gimp Yohi with dtilt and fair, but if Yoshi recovers safely he shouldn't get gimped early due to double jump heavy armor, although at higher % Marth can probably just get the offstage kill with fair. If Yoshi recovers high/poorly, there will be an opportunity for Marth to gimp with fair/bair/dtilt, so use that to your advantage.

I also retract my statement about "Yoshi's worst stage being FD" (even though it may be his worst vs Marth) since he can egg camp which is also very good vs heavies.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
This is in Yoshi's favor, 45:55. Yoshi has very good air speed, a down b that is difficult to challenge, and can egg toss camp. He's also very hard to gimp due to the heavy armor, egg throws and the fact that horizontally he can stay away from the edge for a good while which forces Marcina in an unfavorable position if they try to challenge him offstage. The only thing that legitimately saves Marcina in this MU are platforms to stay safe in and make it harder for Yoshi to land along with well spaced moves with some mild aggression. Shield Breaker also works wonders if your opponent is one of those jab spammers. Though with a slight nerf to Yoshi's air speed or a nerf to the endlag of his egg throws, I'm sure this would be a much more fair character overall and be a 50:50 MU.
Really? I'm pretty sure Marth wins the MU fairly solidly as long as he's on point with his spacing and is conservative of his approaches since Yoshi has no good answer to spacing. And just SHAD through the eggs, they're not annoying enough to force Marth to approach.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Really? I'm pretty sure Marth wins the MU fairly solidly as long as he's on point with his spacing and is conservative of his approaches since Yoshi has no good answer to spacing. And just SHAD through the eggs, they're not annoying enough to force Marth to approach.
A Yoshi with expert egg control is not fun for Marth. SHAD is not enough and is even punishable. Not that you shouldn't use it.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Oh, I'm sorry Yoshi is "unfair" because he has a positive MU vs a low tier character, and that he has redeeming qualities for a near useless grab.

On another note after playing a good Marth I can say that he can gimp Yohi with dtilt and fair, but if Yoshi recovers safely he shouldn't get gimped early due to double jump heavy armor, although at higher % Marth can probably just get the offstage kill with fair. If Yoshi recovers high/poorly, there will be an opportunity for Marth to gimp with fair/bair/dtilt, so use that to your advantage.

I also retract my statement about "Yoshi's worst stage being FD" (even though it may be his worst vs Marth) since he can egg camp which is also very good vs heavies.
How was I even insulting Yoshi you hypocrite? Also yes he kind of does need an air speed nerf, you shouldn't be able to weave in an out of the blast zone as a character who already has more than 2 dumb gimmicks. Actually let me retract my first statement, now I'm insulting Yoshi because anyone can admit he has some brain dead button mash techniques. "Oh I'm about to be comboed, let me mash out with a and down b" It's bad enough I can't dedicate myself to reaching out that far because I'll get gimped, but not Yoshi because he has egg throws, heavy armor and a good air speed to accompany it.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
How was I even insulting Yoshi you hypocrite? Also yes he kind of does need an air speed nerf, you shouldn't be able to weave in an out of the blast zone as a character who already has more than 2 dumb gimmicks. Actually let me retract my first statement, now I'm insulting Yoshi because anyone can admit he has some brain dead button mash techniques. "Oh I'm about to be comboed, let me mash out with a and down b" It's bad enough I can't dedicate myself to reaching out that far because I'll get gimped, but not Yoshi because he has egg throws, heavy armor and a good air speed to accompany it.
If a yoshi is mashing a or DownBing all the time you should condition him into doing it and punish accordingly.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
If a yoshi is mashing a or DownBing all the time you should condition him into doing it and punish accordingly.
Obviously, the thing is just having it is dumb enough, It's not like yoshi has to be creative when confronted in that situation anyways. All I asked was for a simple nerf and the dude starts sounding me off like If I went about insulting a character.

Edit: I didn't even want those things about him nerfed when stating my opinion. Just the air speed because I thought it was a little too fast to justify being able to weave in and out the blast zones.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
His air speed isn't higher than previous. It's a character attribute.

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
yoshi is really good at "counterpoking" (not sure what the smash community would call it). he has high airspeed and retreating hurtboxes on some of his moves making him excel at this, and, keep in mind, a projectile to force marth to approach. to say that yoshi suffers against disjoint more than the rest of the cast is pretty ignorant.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
I never said the word "insult" I just found it annoying that you were complaining about a character and calling for nerfs in what should be an intelligent discussion, benefiting your character, for what to do in the Yoshi MU and what stages to pick vs him. Yoshi isn't the only character with a frame 3 aerial, plenty of other characters have a frame 3 or 4 sex kick, and basically every top tier has frame data, so I'm sorry Yoshi has the aspects of a viable character.

And what do you mean by weave in and out of the blastzones??? Yoshi is affected by dying as much as every other character.

Down B leaves Yoshi vulnerable before usage so you can actually hit him out of that, but it is true if you overextend on a combo you will end up getting groundpounded, so just play safe and don't be greedy.

I'm not sure if you read what I said about heavy armor but you have to look for opportunities where Yoshi is recovering unsafely to gimp him, don't dtilt Yoshi on a fresh stock while he's jumping and expect a gimp lol. Like everyone who says the MU is even has said, you can use SHop aerials to hit eggs, just adapt to them rather than whining and asking for a nerf.

Also @ SilverForUbers SilverForUbers yeah, Marth is a low tier on p much every list, sometimes even bottom tier (which I do not personally agree with but that's another discussion.) That shouldn't be much of a surprise due to Marth's lack of results and being significantly worse than he was in other games. Maybe Marth is just being slept on for being much worse than he was in Melee/Brawl but until there's a Marth who's a significant threat in tournament he's probably going to remain a low tier character on most people's lists.

Last edited:

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Also SHAD really only takes care of grounded eggs for zoning, if Yoshi decides to take to the air and approach with eggs then even if you SHAD through it could be the beginning of a combo, or a kill.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Also @ SilverForUbers SilverForUbers yeah, Marth is a low tier on p much every list, sometimes even bottom tier (which I do not personally agree with but that's another discussion.) That shouldn't be much of a surprise due to Marth's lack of results and being significantly worse than he was in other games. Maybe Marth is just being slept on for being much worse than he was in Melee/Brawl but until there's a Marth who's a significant threat in tournament he's probably going to remain a low tier character on most people's lists.
Uhhhhh...I remember seeing a tier list Marth is B+ tier. Can't find it but I remember seeing one, I think it was 1.0.8? Or 1.1.0.

And I don't see any way he's low tier lol.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Only good friend I get to play consistently is a Yoshi Main. I like Town&City as stage counterpick when using FE characters. It's very hard to land on the stage after being egged/upsmashed/upaired without the platforms... But I found BF/DL ones a bit too obvious. Only problem is the possibility of surprise DownB killing you early with the low blastzone.

Yoshi will wreckt Marth form far away with eggs, he will also beat Marth at mid (Amazing dash attack, eggs, and Yoshi Fsmash outranges Marth's a lot and is way safer). Yoshi can approach from almost any direction and back off before you can do a grounded punish, so you have to jump after him after shielding or whatever. Using Jab an Ftilt can usually handle aerial approaches, but expect unfavorable trades every now and then.

On the offense (If Yoshi camps), he can very easily cover most approach directions by a reckless Marth. The only safe choice is to use your super fast walk and try to powershield the eggs and not get surprised by instant dash-attack. Speaking of Dash attack, if spaced correctly it will go so far behind you that you can't punish with Fsmash.

Typical edgeguaridng strategies don't work very well if Yoshi does a late second jump. He's very easy to kill if he screws up, though.
Offstage, Marth has a VERY hard time. UpB is his only method of recovery and you need to be under the ledge for it to work. If you are ever trying to float back to stage from far away and Yoshi jumps/drops at you, you are absolutely certainly gonna die to Fair spike unless you can air-dodge and quickly upB sweetspot ledge.

Overall, you're going to want to be on the defensive most of the time, nothing is more infuriating than getting Egg juggled when you're trying to do an aerial. Trying to combo will be met with a Yoshi Nair, which beats anything but perfectly spaced stuff (SH DB combos can and will be broken). Shield Breaker attempts feel like they almost just NOT break Yoshi's shield, which is one of the hardest to break.. So don't expect to break it.

I make it sound pretty bad, but I think the Yoshi advantage isn't that big... 6-4 at most. Yoshi slow grab makes him a prime target to pressure with DB, Jabs, and quick moves. (Long grab reach means spacing aerials with landing lag like Fair isn't gonna work unless it's rising).

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I hate when if you don't dancing blade at the fastest possible pace and he's not a max range you eat that stupid 11% frame 3 aerial which is more than your DB was doing. WHY THE HELL does it do 11% on a character with the best air speed in this game!?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I hate when if you don't dancing blade at the fastest possible pace and he's not a max range you eat that stupid 11% frame 3 aerial which is more than your DB was doing. WHY THE HELL does it do 11% on a character with the best air speed in this game!?
Because Yoshi has the stupidest and most obnoxious disadvantaged state in the game. >.<

I'm just glad he's rare in offline tourneys. I know how to play the MU with someone like Mario, but it doesn't stop it from being any less boring to play.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
@Solutionme, the Yoshi players get a lot of hate from FG noobs. A LOT of hate. The boards get defaced once every couple weeks. But then Yoshi can't manage to break top 16 at a major tournament despite heavy representation in Japan, lots of theory crafting saying he's super good and general player interest. The conclusion among many Yoshi mains is that Yoshi is badly overrated. He lacks effective setups, has a nonexistent grab game and lacks any techniques he can really fall back on. The result is a very strong frustration among Yoshi players with the character and the response the community gives them in general. Your rubbing salt in wounds here.

Down-B is actually one of Yoshi's riskiest moves. It comes out quick, but has a long animation and a long punish window afterwards. If you space it right, I believe it should be possible to stutter step Fsmash (though the spacing seems near perfect). By any means, counter will make him hurt. Aerial Down-B loses to a fresh shield (use the shield to take the stars and counter attack with Usmash OOS). If you want to prove you got guts, it also loses to Usmash (but not recommended). If you are slow to see it, space out a DB or something quick (like Nair). Grounded Down-B can actually be rolled out of if it hits shield. It's a high risk move for him so you shouldn't see it too frequently from good Yoshi's. YOU SHOULD NOT BE FINDING YOURSELF HIT BY THIS DURING A "COMBO." You should be either to the side (Fair, Nair or something) or should be watching his angle to try and maintain landing pressure. Don't expect him to come directly to you if you throw him upwards.

I can make a similar argument for Yoshi's Nair, it simply doesn't have the range to hit a Marth making full use of his range and ends up being a nice guarantee he won't try to airdodge that you gan exploit by virtue of your sword.

I actually "main" both Yoshi and Marth and have done this MU many, many times--especially on the Marth side so let me weigh in on this. I'm not going to assign numbers--everything here is my experience and theory more than a set of numbers so take it with your own skepticism. I think this is a spacing/zoning MU and the question is if the range advantage or the speed advantage is more important. (And if you think it's speed, why aren't you playing Roy?). I will say the more experienced members of the Yoshi boards tend to think this is a losing MU for him. I'd listen to Pugwest if he cares to share his thoughts. Raptor is considered among the best Yoshi players in NA.

Yoshi's eggs have deceptively long endlag (probably because he has control over where they go, think what happens when dancing blade goes sour). If he arcs high and far, he's vulnerable to having his eggs get run under. At the least, Marth can advance between eggs until he feels scared. If he throws them close dash->shield or walk->shield usually leaves him open. He wants to throw them because that's his counter-option to Marth's spacing. Figuring out how to get past his wall without doing something silly like rolling or air-dodging too close is a big part of the MU.

On stage, shielding is a good option because the best Yoshi's grab has all the risk of Link's (with just as much endlag and none of the range) and can't setup anything reliably nor will it kill reliably in sudden death. Egg lay is funny--I'll let you figure that out, but I will say it's not as rewarding as a traditional grab. Yoshi has practically nothing safe on shield, which is an exploitable weakness. He also has to close that extra half body length or so to land anything that's not an egg which means Marth gets the "first strike" so to speak and the disjoint usually wins trades. Exploit your spacing advantage, this isn't Falcon. Be aware most Yoshis will begin to feel pressure as you close and get antsy to try something. Also try and avoid letting him land. Force him offstage or look to land a hit as he lands (Yoshi really can't cover his landing).

Off stage, watch out for fair, but it has a pretty hefty windup and he probably won't get another chance if you get around him and get back. Fair swats him away and should be considered (but not used universally) as an option. If you have him offstage, watch out for eggs covering his return. You can be well assured Yoshi will try and return high, so you can also try and pressure as he gets close to stage. Don't let him get onstage for free. Double jump is his only real option and the armor wears off fast once he starts taking damage. Swat him away repeatedly for damage. Footstooling Yoshi's DJ offstage flat out kills at almost any percent (but I wouldn't recommend going for it).

Yoshi has a lot of flexibility to mess up due a high weight and natural ability to escape traps, but doesn't have an immediate way to really kill a careful Marth. Simultaneously, Marth can kill Yoshi, but it takes some work to work him up to the damage where stuff becomes semi-reliable. Don't blindly throw smashes, tilt tippers near the edge or rage-enhanced Uthrows can be sufficient. Leave the smashes for when you've found something exploitable--also, Usmash is terrible at picking Yoshi out of the sky so don't use it to contest Yoshi's aerials. Realize Yoshi has to smash or edge guard to kill, so take advantage of this at high percent. Yoshi kills better off punishes, but Marth has more reliable secondary options.

Curiously, both characters have to play the other's game. Yoshi has to outspace/outzone Marth or he'll get shredded before he closes the gap. Marth has to play passive/aggressive footsies lest he throws an unsfafe attack and gets punished. Both sides just want to find the one weakness in the other player to exploit.

Be aware that the only pattern universally recognized amongst the Yoshi boards is the FG Yoshi strategy, which is a good way to get knocked out in round 1 of a serious tourney. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in the MU (nor can most Yoshis, frankly), so you'll have to play it and get careful enough with Marth to win it. For what it's worth, there's been a pattern of players complaining about Yoshi on his boards and then learning the matchup and suddenly going quiet. I think Yoshi is a skill-gate character, figuring out how to beat him marks you as a player who knows how to seriously play.

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
But then Yoshi can't manage to break top 16 at a major tournament despite heavy representation in Japan, lots of theory crafting saying he's super good and general player interest.
This isn't entirely true, DIO's Yoshi has gotten Top 12 at Hyper Sumabato, Top 12 at Sumabato 4, and Top 16 at Umebura 16.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
@Solutionme, the Yoshi players get a lot of hate from FG noobs. A LOT of hate. The boards get defaced once every couple weeks. But then Yoshi can't manage to break top 16 at a major tournament despite heavy representation in Japan, lots of theory crafting saying he's super good and general player interest. The conclusion among many Yoshi mains is that Yoshi is badly overrated. He lacks effective setups, has a nonexistent grab game and lacks any techniques he can really fall back on. The result is a very strong frustration among Yoshi players with the character and the response the community gives them in general. Your rubbing salt in wounds here.

Down-B is actually one of Yoshi's riskiest moves. It comes out quick, but has a long animation and a long punish window afterwards. If you space it right, I believe it should be possible to stutter step Fsmash (though the spacing seems near perfect). By any means, counter will make him hurt. Aerial Down-B loses to a fresh shield (use the shield to take the stars and counter attack with Usmash OOS). If you want to prove you got guts, it also loses to Usmash (but not recommended). If you are slow to see it, space out a DB or something quick (like Nair). Grounded Down-B can actually be rolled out of if it hits shield. It's a high risk move for him so you shouldn't see it too frequently from good Yoshi's. YOU SHOULD NOT BE FINDING YOURSELF HIT BY THIS DURING A "COMBO." You should be either to the side (Fair, Nair or something) or should be watching his angle to try and maintain landing pressure. Don't expect him to come directly to you if you throw him upwards.

I can make a similar argument for Yoshi's Nair, it simply doesn't have the range to hit a Marth making full use of his range and ends up being a nice guarantee he won't try to airdodge that you can exploit by virtue of your sword.

I actually "main" both Yoshi and Marth and have done this MU many, many times--especially on the Marth side so let me weigh in on this. I'm not going to assign numbers--everything here is my experience and theory more than a set of numbers so take it with your own skepticism. I think this is a spacing/zoning MU and the question is if the range advantage or the speed advantage is more important. (And if you think it's speed, why aren't you playing Roy?). I will say the more experienced members of the Yoshi boards tend to think this is a losing MU for him. I'd listen to Pugwest if he cares to share his thoughts. Raptor is considered among the best Yoshi players in NA.

Yoshi's eggs have deceptively long endlag (probably because he has control over where they go, think what happens when dancing blade goes sour). If he arcs high and far, he's vulnerable to having his eggs get run under. At the least, Marth can advance between eggs until he feels scared. If he throws them close dash->shield or walk->shield usually leaves him open. He wants to throw them because that's his counter-option to Marth's spacing. Figuring out how to get past his wall without doing something silly like rolling or air-dodging too close is a big part of the MU.

On stage, shielding is a good option because the best Yoshi's grab has all the risk of Link's (with just as much endlag and none of the range) and can't setup anything reliably nor will it kill reliably in sudden death. Egg lay is funny--I'll let you figure that out, but I will say it's not as rewarding as a traditional grab. Yoshi has practically nothing safe on shield, which is an exploitable weakness. He also has to close that extra half body length or so to land anything that's not an egg which means Marth gets the "first strike" so to speak and the disjoint usually wins trades. Exploit your spacing advantage, this isn't Falcon. Be aware most Yoshis will begin to feel pressure as you close and get antsy to try something. Also try and avoid letting him land. Force him offstage or look to land a hit as he lands (Yoshi really can't cover his landing).

Off stage, watch out for fair, but it has a pretty hefty windup and he probably won't get another chance if you get around him and get back. Fair swats him away and should be considered (but not used universally) as an option. If you have him offstage, watch out for eggs covering his return. You can be well assured Yoshi will try and return high, so you can also try and pressure as he gets close to stage. Don't let him get onstage for free. Double jump is his only real option and the armor wears off fast once he starts taking damage. Swat him away repeatedly for damage. Footstooling Yoshi's DJ offstage flat out kills at almost any percent (but I wouldn't recommend going for it).

Yoshi has a lot of flexibility to mess up due a high weight and natural ability to escape traps, but doesn't have an immediate way to really kill a careful Marth. Simultaneously, Marth can kill Yoshi, but it takes some work to work him up to the damage where stuff becomes semi-reliable. Don't blindly throw smashes, tilt tippers near the edge or rage-enhanced Uthrows can be sufficient. Leave the smashes for when you've found something exploitable--also, Usmash is terrible at picking Yoshi out of the sky so don't use it to contest Yoshi's aerials. Realize Yoshi has to smash or edge guard to kill, so take advantage of this at high percent. Yoshi kills better off punishes, but Marth has more reliable secondary options.

Curiously, both characters have to play the other's game. Yoshi has to outspace/outzone Marth or he'll get shredded before he closes the gap. Marth has to play passive/aggressive footsies lest he throws an unsfafe attack and gets punished. Both sides just want to find the one weakness in the other player to exploit.

Be aware that the only pattern universally recognized amongst the Yoshi boards is the FG Yoshi strategy, which is a good way to get knocked out in round 1 of a serious tourney. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in the MU (nor can most Yoshis, frankly), so you'll have to play it and get careful enough with Marth to win it. For what it's worth, there's been a pattern of players complaining about Yoshi on his boards and then learning the matchup and suddenly going quiet. I think Yoshi is a skill-gate character, figuring out how to beat him marks you as a player who knows how to seriously play.
Thank you, (sorry I was a little less diplomatic but I'm used to get triggered in vs Yoshi arguments. Guys please follow this guy's example and stop complaining. Like he and I said if you use your tools correctly and don't overextend you won't end up getting cheese by the down b/nair. It honestly just looks bad when a MU discussion just degrades to complaining, no one learns anything from that. I'm not going to start responding to individuals, but please just stop complaining about Yoshi having frame data similar to good characters.

You really have to exploit the fact that Yoshi's kill power is lacking, and play safe enough so that they either have to settle for giving you max rage, choke and throw out a punishable smash. I still do think Yoshi finds this MU favorable because I think Yoshi has a favorable MU vs most no projectile characters until proven otherwise, and Marth doesn't really have the tools to break free of this imo.

Also SilverForUbers SilverForUbers what tier list is that lol? I'm not sure if you Marth mains have been living in a cave amongst each other for all of this game's release but the rest of the community really think Marth just sucks.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Also SilverForUbers SilverForUbers what tier list is that lol? I'm not sure if you Marth mains have been living in a cave amongst each other for all of this game's release but the rest of the community really think Marth just sucks.
Of course they think Marth sucks. Most of them can't even use him properly or face Marth mains that probably don't know how to use Marth in a certain MU. Yeah he's not amazing, but he definitely has more going for him than say Duck Hunt or Bowser. Most top players that I've asked in streams say he's not close to being bottom tier (Fow even said he's a great character) so that has to say something. In a viability tier list I saw Marth was definitely B tier, which means he's viable in tournament as a Secondary but not necessarily a solo character of course lol. Especially with all the buffs he's been receiving saying that he's a "bad" character is pretty much saying "I know he's been buffed and isn't pre patch Marth, but he still sucks because I can't do anything with him". Yes he doesn't get many results (which usually would effect his tier placement) but that's because most people consider him bad only because of how he was changed from Brawl and don't look at his pros. The fact that he has a decent MU against most high tiers is also something that should show he won't do terribly in tournament.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Of course they think Marth sucks. Most of them can't even use him properly or face Marth mains that probably don't know how to use Marth in a certain MU. Yeah he's not amazing, but he definitely has more going for him than say Duck Hunt or Bowser. Most top players that I've asked in streams say he's not close to being bottom tier (Fow even said he's a great character) so that has to say something. In a viability tier list I saw Marth was definitely B tier, which means he's viable in tournament as a Secondary but not necessarily a solo character of course lol. Especially with all the buffs he's been receiving saying that he's a "bad" character is pretty much saying "I know he's been buffed and isn't pre patch Marth, but he still sucks because I can't do anything with him". Yes he doesn't get many results (which usually would effect his tier placement) but that's because most people consider him bad only because of how he was changed from Brawl and don't look at his pros. The fact that he has a decent MU against most high tiers is also something that should show he won't do terribly in tournament.
Yes, I agree Marth is more of an underrated sleeper character but the fact of the matter is Marth is vastly considered a lower tier character and has done almost nothing on the main stage other than False/Ally using him in locals or the few time Ally pulls him out on the big stage.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Regardless of who wins or who's top tier or low tier, describe the optimal counterplay vs Yoshi from Marths perspective .

Top Bottom